PDA

View Full Version : USB Port help required

Woodpidgeon
3rd Sep 2000, 21:14
I have just purchased an Epson Stylus 760 Colour with a USB connection. The instructions specifically require the USB Driver to be installed first, then the printer driver. The instructions also state that the USB driver must be auto detected by Windows 98 New Hardware Wizard, or it will not configure/install properly. After several attempts at doing this and following the instructions to the letter, it is refusing to autodetect the USB driver. Can anybody tell me if it is possible to 'force' Win98 to find this, or any advice at all would be VERY gratefully received.

QNH
3rd Sep 2000, 23:37
is the usb port enabled in your BIOS? if yes them check the device manager and see if is enabled/conflicting in there

FL310
4th Sep 2000, 01:07
connect the USB cable to the printer and make sure the printer is turned off. Connect the USB cable to the PC and now the running W98 should identify a new device with the process starting of trying to install the required software. Have the W98 disc ready....

Woodpidgeon
4th Sep 2000, 12:51
QNH
The USB appears to be enabled in the BIOS and a little test programme I downloaded says that it is supported and working, but there is no sign of it in the Device manager. Perhaps you could advise further.

FL310
I have been following the process you describe but it still won't detect new hardware. I suspect from QNH's reply for some reason it is not enabled in spite of the test programmes result. I have an Abit BH6 motherboard, with the 2nd Version of WIN98 if this is any help.

FL310
5th Sep 2000, 01:29
You still have a chance to install the USB manually.
On the desktop click on MY COMPUTER
Open CONTROL PANEL
Open ADD NEW HARDWARE
Let Windows search the system
if it is not mentioned
say NO IT IS NOT IN THE LIST
say NEXT
say NO, I WANT TO SELECT.....
select the USB device
and that should do it.
good luck

Woodpidgeon
7th Sep 2000, 13:31
Thanks for the acvice guy(ess)s. I have tried everything but what finally seemed to do it, for future reference, was when I deleted the USB root hub from the Device Manager, WIN98 reinstalled it and then 'found' the USB port. Bill Gates strikes again!