View Full Version : Server speed

Wrongstuff
12th Sep 2001, 21:58
Anyone else find the pages very slow to load? For instance it's just taken nearly ten minutes to log in and post this.I appreciate it's busy at the moment, but this has been a problem for me for a couple of months.I'm using an ADSL connection and none of the other sites I visit suffer like this.

WhiteSail
13th Sep 2001, 00:55
Sad to say, YES; but it hasn't taken me ten minutes, more like two. However, it is considerably slower than in the recent past.

It seems to be ever since this awful business in the USA yesterday.

Perhaps one of the moderators will visit and tell us what the problem is.

PPRuNe Towers
13th Sep 2001, 06:59
Not even 4am in the morning herein the UK and there's 260 people on the site.

This is the time when we normally do our admin work on PPRuNe - minimum load and maximum server speed for us. Discussing this with Danny last night the server logs show that this 'dead' period of three to four hours we like to use is now as busy as peak time was just two months ago.

The WTC attack has only served to make our problems far more visible to Joe Average viewing PPRuNe. Our set up is showing serious strain whenever roughly 300 readers at any one time is exceeded. This number isn't a constant because many other factors are involved. Unbelievable bandwidth being used as computer users access news sites.

In short - it will get better as things calm down but the writing is really on the wall regarding us finding the finance to switch to a server equal to those used by large scale commercial organisations.

Evo7
13th Sep 2001, 11:35
PPRuNe got a hefty plug last night when Danny was interviewed by Radio 5. Don't think that will help things much.