PDA

View Full Version : Fltsim good or bad...?

FlyFreeWbe
3rd Sep 2000, 01:02
To ne1 interested in this topic,
I have found that while I’m not away somewhere doing my PPL, that I like to come to my PC, read new posts on the PPRuNe BBS and go on my flight simulator :rolleyes:. However, I find that FS98 is a bit behind on the reality side of things. So I ask you this…
Is “FS2000” better on the graphic and reality side than “Fly!” is? Which one is safer to go with (and maybe less expensive)?
The reason I asked is that I’m planning on going out and getting a new sim but not sure which one gives you more http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif. I thought I’d ask here seeing that I’m sure that there is not ne1 here that has not got, or tried a flight sim for the PC.

Another thing. Are these things really recommended at all? I mean should i be using it as a sort of ref or anything in case of it messing up what I'm being taught at my PPL? Hopefuly they don't...I really enjoy them. :)

Thanks neway..

------------------
what is above the clouds...?

I know... beauty

mik
3rd Sep 2000, 03:05
You could pick up one very bad habit from flying flight sims. You won't look out of the aircraft enough. You'll be looking at the instruments far too much.

But your instructor will pick you up on this, and you'll soon learn that VFR=VISUAL flight rules!

On my second solo, the ASI failed as I took off. Called the tower, they called my instructor. He told me (very calmly) "fly on attitude. Power is for climing & descending. Now fly to Marlborough & back as you were briefed to." The landing back at the airfield was nice, too!

Captain1
3rd Sep 2000, 15:33
I currently use FS2000 and am very happy with it (although I have no experience with Fly).
May I suggest to you another sim you may not of heard of. It is called Airline Simlator 2 and in my opinion is a superb sim. Although the visuals are quite basic the handling and systems on the aircraft are amazing. It far surpasses FS2000 on reality as far as systems goes on the aircraft. It includes a fully functional FMC and EFIS on the 747-400 and you can also fly with ATC. Make a visit to www.rcsimulations.com (http://www.rcsimulations.com) and find out more if your interested.

PPRuNe Pop
3rd Sep 2000, 15:48
Sorry, this topic should be on the Computer Issues Forum.

PPRuNe Pop
[email protected]

VFE
4th Sep 2000, 00:25
Hello everyone,
My two bobs worth, for what it´s worth: If I had not looked at FS2000 before I had my first lesson (regardless of the books I was told to read) I don¨t think I,d have had as much of an idea as I had about what to do. Now my instructor was a little bit annoyed because I did not have the visual scan going on. Draw your conclusions.

I Still go on it though when I am bored. It is a great way to reinstigate your ambition- if you do not get a jumpseat ride often.
I´ve just had one to get here on my holidays and so far it has been the highlight of the holiday(sad??....mmmm). Go somewhere else on your hols is what I reckon- no?

Seey´all and take care, VFE.

------------------
And up we go!

[This message has been edited by VFE (edited 04 September 2000).]

DOC.400
4th Sep 2000, 11:20
FlyFreeWBe
I've used various Microsoft fs for the last ten years or so, for both fun and to supplement my training. I took a 9 month sabbatical during PPL(for sabbatical read 'run-out-of-dosh'!!) and kept current on fs. My instructor said it was as if I hadn't been away!! It was invaluble for IMC/IFR training, being able to 'fly' the exercises both before and after, and leave a trace to see where I went wrong!! I've now found Simcharts by Jeppesen and regularly fly SIDS and STARS as an exercise.
But this is the sad bit...being only 8nm from LHR, I can listen to departure and approach frequency and 'fly' a 737-400 in and out of LHR!! I generally lose the RT somewhere across the channel.
As for fs98 and 2000, I'm having trouble loading 2000 on a state of the art Viglen machine. There are alot of glitches on it according to their website, but am quite happy with fs98 for my needs.
Regards,
Blue Skies and Long Runways!