PDA

View Full Version : Huge Storm Over London

ukdean
28th May 2008, 01:55
I Must Point Out That There's A Huge Storm Moving West Over London Towards Lhr. Any One Got Any Good Wether Storys

LurkerBelow
28th May 2008, 02:39
... Baa !

or do you mean Good Bad Weather stories?

merlinxx
28th May 2008, 05:49
It was dark outside when it tracked through. Check all last nights EGLL metars on www.wunderground.com, just go historical search. Some very nice lightening.

Beatriz Fontana
28th May 2008, 06:24
The London media types have been whining about it this morning. Like the rest of the country cares!!

Juud
28th May 2008, 06:30
Good thing our American prooners don't feel the need to post every time there's a bad storm over Oklahoma.
We could change the forum title to WB. :hmm:
What Beatriz said. (country=world)

Parapunter
28th May 2008, 07:36
In fairness to ukdean, that's the worst spell of weather I've seen in a while.:}

Juud, inspite of Beatriz's view, it's a dangerous thing to under estimate the English capacity to prattle on about the weather when it's not doing very much at all. When it it gets a bit frisky, well...

tony draper
28th May 2008, 07:41
Personally one thinks rebuilding the place after Boudicca's visit was a mistake.
:)

aviate1138
28th May 2008, 08:25
Think positively! London with clean streets, all that dried [and fresh] blood washed away. :rolleyes:

Historical note.
In 1962, a little later in the year, I drove from Old Windsor to Gerrards Cross [about 9 miles] in my beloved AC Ace at 2-00 am with just side lights as the massive electrical storm was flashing so frequently that no headlights were necessary. In those days traffic was non existent at that time of night. No one mentioned Global Warming/Climate Change then. All the talk was about the imminent Ice Age!

ORAC
28th May 2008, 08:49
Well I drove to work in Uxbridge (just up the road from LHR) from near STN this morning. Left at 0500, arrived at 0630. It is now 0945 and, apart from a little light rain, it has been a normal dreary day. No storm clouds, no lightning, no winds. Not even a heavy downpour.

Whereever you are, it must be localised.

stevo110
28th May 2008, 09:12
Surely you are used to the uk weather by now!!
Bit of thunder and lightning...Nothing that we aint seen before.

djk
28th May 2008, 13:00
Tornado that hit Hugo, Minnesota on Sunday missed me by 3 miles.
Was watching it on the radar, sadly one child died in the destruction with another in a critical condition.

Beatriz Fontana
28th May 2008, 16:55
I would never dispute the British fascination with the weather, I merely dislike the metropolitan media's obesession with the weather in the south. Colleagues at work today reckoned the storm was nowt unusual. Wait til the Wimbledon tennis starts! More weather obsession!

treadigraph
28th May 2008, 17:11
Northing unusual at all I'd have said, woke me up at 1:45am (****!), some flash and crash, a bit of heavy rain and I was told that one lane of the Croydon underpass contained an inch or three of standing water at 8am this morning. Almost as bad as that terrible dusting of snow in London earlier in the year. My dear, there was almost an inch...

Par for the course I'd say, we had much more spectacular stuff last summer.

Krystal n chips
28th May 2008, 17:36
One deep depression, one North Sea tidal surge.....and Bingo !....the southern biased meedja all get drowned as London gets flooded ....Two for the price of one ! :ok::E

chevvron
28th May 2008, 17:56
Knocked out Biggin ILS for most of the day.

VAFFPAX
28th May 2008, 19:01
Good amount of rumbling and lots of lashing rain for about 20 minutes or so around lunch, and then again at around 5, but otherwise situation normal 40 mi NW of London.

I LOVE a proper thunderstorm, one where you can smell the electricity in the air and you switch off everything electronic because you KNOW it's going to unload properly. And when it does, fantastic.

Last of those I saw in 2001 in Africa. The thunderstorms there are beautiful.

S.

Parapunter
28th May 2008, 19:12
Off the Floridian coast in summer. Sundowners, a comfy chair on a decently elevated balcony, sit back & watch the show - night after night. God bles the everglades & all who evaporate from her.

Tolsti
28th May 2008, 19:38
So thats the buggah that woke me last night!!... I'd love to be able to read Metar/Tafs.. anyone got a website that can explain all to a simple (with the emphasis on SIMPLE) SLF??

brockenspectre
28th May 2008, 19:44
Hi Tolsti - the following link may be helpful.. I did a quick Google and found it for ya:

http://www.ukweather.freeserve.co.uk/metarpg.htm

:ok:

Beatriz Fontana
28th May 2008, 20:28
Oh, good call, Krystal, I like your thinking!