PDA

View Full Version : Other People and Other Forums.....

BRL
27th May 2008, 22:53
Looking around at other forums I have noticed quite a few things that I find 'odd'.

Signatures..... The crap some people put in them, why and who are they trying to impress. Here are a few examples....

From an ipod forum,

16GB iPod touch | 5G 60GB iPod | 4GB Creative Zen | dBpowerAMP R12.4 | Apple Lossless | Lame 3.98 -V 2 --vbr-new | Library size = 225.86GB and iPod Touch 8GB | AppleCare untill 2010 | Contour iSee case | Power Support Anti-Glare Film | April 27,2008-Apple Store-Holyoke MA and 13" MacBook 2.0 GHz - 2 GB RAM - 160GB HDD - OS X 10.4
4G iPod w/Color - 2390 Songs - 5.94 GB - 4.2 Days

A few more from another forum,

Sky HD, Philips 32PFL5522D/05, Tiscali B/Band and Phone

and

SkyHD, Orange Broadband, PS3

I mean, who really gives a stuff what they have. I think it is pretty sad with a capital S and I can't think of any viable reason to show anyone what you have! Has anyone here seen anything similar or worse than these???????

Also just noticed tonight a woman with over 44000 posts. Just looked at her history and they are all there. How much time must she spend there..... :ooh:

Anyone else see these things or is it me getting old!?!?!?!?!? :D

redsnail
27th May 2008, 22:57
Private Flying Forum Moderator.

Pot, kettle, black? :E

tony draper
27th May 2008, 23:03
Thats buggah all, there are websites where members have whole chapters from books whole printed dialog from movies scenes,the entire lyrics from songs ect as their signature,wtf for??absolutely baffling.
Silliest thing to see is a response to a post that consists of "LOL Dude" followed by forty lines of text signature

Also find baffling the copying the entire previous post into their own post followed by their response,why do that??
:confused:

BRL
27th May 2008, 23:17
Oi Reddo, it's my job!! :8

ehwatezedoing
27th May 2008, 23:32
lso just noticed tonight a woman with over 44000 posts. Just looked at her history and they are all there. How much time must she spend there.....

BRL

......ahhhhh damn!

It would have been a good reply of mine if you were not missing one "zero" :}

Dushan
28th May 2008, 04:42
:confused:You would have similar numbers here, as well, except that posts in JB don't count.

The SSK
28th May 2008, 08:14
Like the car makers who put the product features on the back door, like 'triple airbags' or '5 year warranty'.

I'd buy a sticker that said 'heated rear windscreen' or 'fully synchromesh gearbox'.

Sorry, did I drift off topic? Beg pardon

arcniz
28th May 2008, 08:29
Some seek personal definition through association with important possessions and objects.

Some seek to be in the category of "the best" at some definable behavior, the nature of which not really mattering so long as the superlative applies.

Some imagine power comes from speaking out in the open, where others may hear.

The list may well be endless -- probably a good theme for a thread.

treadigraph
28th May 2008, 08:32
I wonder if there's a disease enthusiast's or hypochondriac's forum with similar pretensions?

Syphilis | gonorrhea | arrhythmia | housemaid's knee | bulimia amnesia

(Correct spelling thanks to spell check, not any personal knowledge or experience of these maladies!)

Agree with Mr Draper about copying complete posts - often complete with a dozen attached photos, and directly below the post in question to boot! Pillocks... If I can't remember what was said, I'll go back and look - a brief reference is all that's required.

Beatriz Fontana
28th May 2008, 08:49
These things are almost as annoying as sign offs using the same phrase at the end of posts. Sometimes it's inappropriate, others it's puzzling! I don't know whether it's an attempt at 'personality' or these folks generally finish every conversation the same way, but I knew a bloke who ended all his postings and telephone conversations the same way be it to his boss or his wife! Lack of creativity if you ask me... :)

Yeghas da!
Bea x

(see, that could get really annoying)

plinkton
28th May 2008, 09:41
arcniz:Some seek personal definition through association with important possessions and objects.

You are absolutely spot on with this statement, 100%. I've been banging on about this for years.

Some (a lot of) people are the colour of water and are defined by anything from tattoos to consumer goods, cars and recently houses. The Internet and posting sigs illustrate this.

Solid Rust Twotter
28th May 2008, 10:20
...copying the entire previous post into their own post followed by their response...

Obviously gifted with the attention span of a retarded oyster.

ZH875
28th May 2008, 10:29
I wonder if there's a hypochondriac's forum ?

I hope so, as hypochondria is the only disease my wife has not had yet.:E

frostbite
28th May 2008, 12:58
Signatures are just boring and repetitive, until they get simply plain annoying.

Only justification is if they are informative. The one place I use one is a motoring forum where my signature gives basic details of my car, which is usually relevant to the post above it.

airship
28th May 2008, 15:37
In many "high-tech" forums, it's actually useful to know 'up front' what any user has in terms of hardware / software configuration. Especially where said user is offering advice to other (usually) less-experienced users in the forum. It's true that doing so could be construed as bragging in other spheres.

Which is why on PPRuNe, I don't mention that I first professionally flew shadowing a certain Mr. Wright and brother in their experimental flights. Or flew over 80 sorties on Hurricanes / Spitfires before they ran out of Swastika stencils. Thereafter taking a well-deserved break and completing several leisurely sailing circumnavigations. Coming back to fly VC10s for BOAC (10,000h) and DC10s for BCal (8,000h). Followed by 2 north-south polar and 'wrong-way round' circumnavigations non-stop. Before I was enticed back to fly the Concorde (for the French) as test-pilot (500h) after some considerable experience acquired at the Skunk Works on similar supersonic projects (number of hours classified top-secret). My last aviation assignment was as consultant to a prestigious and Internationally-acclaimed body in the wake of STS-107. ;)

arcniz
28th May 2008, 18:33
Well, it's hardly bragging when one is being purely factual, eh Airship?

The Flying Pram
28th May 2008, 19:08
I moderate on a satellite TV forum, and we encourage folk to put their equipment details in a signature. Otherwise it's the first thing we have to ask when some one wants help. But I agree that anything more than the basics is just a waste of space...

Forkandles
28th May 2008, 19:13
I think it's a great idea.

| 'Stocky' 6' Male | Huge penis | Likes wine/beer | Man Utd fan |

selfloadingcargo
28th May 2008, 19:16
I moderate on a satellite TV forum,

dear God......I had no idea such eclectic fora even existed....

VAFFPAX
28th May 2008, 19:56
I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this as utterly pointless. That's why on my board profiles I switch off the option to see signatures or for people to see mine (not that I have one).

It annoys. Muchly. Of course, where appropriate it can make sense, but usually it doesn't.

S.

Beatriz Fontana
28th May 2008, 22:18
Forkandles,

Man Utd fan?? And you were doing so well with your description...

Rush2112
29th May 2008, 05:57
You will be amazed to hear that I frequent a Rush message board, and some of the sigs on there are unreal, pages of the rubbish. People quoting the lyrics because they have some meaning to their own existence, come on guys, it's just a song! OK, OK, they are bloody good songs but that's not the point.

I use a thought-provoking maxim, which you may enjoy:

"Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away, and you've got his shoes."

TTFN
Rush2112
x x x
(I dont normally add this sort of thing but I am extracting the urine slightly)

TTFN
Rush2112
x x x
(well, clearly that wasn't the end of the post so I had to do it again. Oh bugger, and again...)

TTFN
Rush2112
x x x