PDA

View Full Version : Mad to turn down an airline mentored scheme?

2kewl4skewl
27th May 2008, 12:45
Hi,

After passing the assessment tests and aptitude tests and sim test at an FTO I was put forward for an airline interview to get onto a tagged mentored airline scheme. Interview went well and I was selected by the airline together with 6 others. I was thrilled, obviously, until I read some bad reviews about the particular FTO. Far too many negative comments for my liking. Anyway I’m leaning towards going with another (well established) FTO as an un-tagged student. My question is, would it be mad to turn down this vote of confidence from an airline, purely because I don’t have a good feeling about the FTO "THEY" chose? Do the airlines hold a grudge? You may say "ask the airline directly" but I don't have a contact. Correspondence must be through the FTO. My opinion is "it's my money I'll spend it how I like".

Thanks in advance!

4KBeta
27th May 2008, 12:53
By a mentored scheme I assume you have an offer of employment (if conditions are met) which is very valuable at the moment.

There is no reason why an FTO would let the mentored students education slip because the Airline will simply not use the FTO again.

2kewl4skewl
27th May 2008, 13:17
Yes, offer of employment, providing all the boxes are ticked at the end of training. It's the first time the FTO has secured an airline scheme so we would be the first group.

Artie Fufkin
27th May 2008, 13:24
These "airline mentored" schemes mean a lot to FTOs as they are great publicity for their marketing departments and, as such, are likely to bend over backwards to help you get through.

If you were thinking about turning the chance down because you are unsure about the future economic climate and thought that the job that the airline has you in mind for might not exist in 18 months time, then fair enough.

If you are considering turning down the best possible start that you can currently get, due to listening to unsubstantiated gossip on a rumour forum such as pprune about the relative merits of an FTO and then yes, quite barking!

2kewl4skewl
27th May 2008, 13:38
Well I feel "barking" to be honest but having heard personal testimonials from past students I feel the negative's are substantiated. That aside, my main question is, would the nice airline people that offer me their support and a future job be peeved If I chose to train with another FTO (whom they also run a scheme with from time to time). Would my CV be binned straight away as far as this airline is concerned?

Treeshaver
27th May 2008, 16:28
Why don't you ask said airline if you can switch to the other FTO? If they already do a mentored scheme with them then it shouldn't be a problem. Tell them u have a kid who lives near the other FTO, or some bull**** like that!

jamie811
27th May 2008, 17:09
I was also going to go with PTC but after reading a few threads on them from past students i have now thought better of it and starting training with another school. (assuming you are talking about PTC of course ;))

hollingworthp
27th May 2008, 17:27
It's a tricky call to make really as in the potential climate by the time you qualify, having a conditional job offer could be extremely valuable and the license you achieve will be the same wherever you train.

poss
28th May 2008, 09:06
The more students this FTO can send to this airline the better, it will show to the airline that the school get the job done and that they are worthy of taking on more candidates. As someone has said they will probably bend over backwards to get all the boxes ticked. As long as you get the work done I see no reason why the FTO should be a bad one. Go for it.

potkettleblack
28th May 2008, 10:07
My vote goes with Treesavers idea. Find out who the contact is at the airline and have a chat about switching FTO's and run it past them. Think of some reason such as you have free accomodation from a long lost aunt living nearby the other FTO.

Be very careful though. For a global industry you would be surprised just how small it can be and nobody likes a trouble maker. You never know the airline rep could well be a best mate of the FTO owner and think the proverbial shines so you don't want to be speaking out of turn.

omaaa
3rd Jun 2008, 10:55
2kewl i also got into the flybe scheme and one of the 7, but i am having a bad time geting the funding for the scheme, so im going to speak to flybe also, if i can defer a date and see what happens.

cmullan299
3rd Jun 2008, 13:35
omaa i am also one of the 7 people who have been picked. i am just on my way home from london after seeing a bank called BBVA. they are linked with FTE in Jerez but have no problem helping you out. may be worth giving them a ring. have you been sent any info for getting fingerprints done etc.

omaaa
4th Jun 2008, 22:20
hi mate, ya spoke to BBVA they seem good, er i also spoke to Flybe they said there is no problem in me being switched onto the next course, and it suits me alot better, so im thinking im just going to switch, it gives me more time, if your going in June, do let me know how it goes!
ya i recieved my fingerprint instructions, but looks like il have to reaply to all that with the new dates.

done ur FAA med?

cmullan299
5th Jun 2008, 16:26
yea they where helpful with me and they have some knowledge aswell about the situation we are in which is good. yea i am going in June was a mad rush to get all the things sorted but everything has come together. did my FAA medical today just. 25min job quickest £100 ive spent yet.

yea well if you starting in Aug i think it is no doubt i will see you around.

PM me your email address or summit and ill let you know how things go