PDA

View Full Version : Greg Norman:

828a
27th May 2008, 11:04
Everyone knows Greg Norman. He is a recognised world celebrity, a world champion golfer and a multi millionaire businessman. Recently he was interviewed by a sports magazine and asked "considering how successful your life has been is there anything you wish you had achieved?" His answer was, "Yes there is something , I would like to have been a pilot".
There is a message here for all the prima donnas who castigate Cathay for one reason or another and that message is to admit to yourself how fortunate you are to be doing what you are doing. (ACMS take note).
However unfortunately it would seem it's not enough for some. It is not enough for those narcissistic gentlemen with a bent to hedonism who recently had the gaul to launch into print and criticise the CX girls for not wanting to worship at the Captain's altar.

828a

ACMS
27th May 2008, 11:12
Yes mate I know how lucky I am to have a job I really love.
But that is totally besides the point and certainly doesn't mean I will work for peanuts and the odd promise of better from CX.

It also doesn't mean I should take career advice from people like N1 Vibes who isn't even a Pilot and doesn't know the FIRST thing about me, what I've done in my life and more importantly what my job really entails day in day out.

I've said it before and I'm going to have to say it again, If these people wanted to be Pilot's then what stopped them? Never in the history of Aviation has the employment prospects for Pilots' been better, and that includes people of mature years with little experince too.

In Australia we call this petty jealousy "Tall Poppy syndrome" and it looks like it's alive and well in HK too.:=

SIC
27th May 2008, 11:43
So in 1993 Norman bought the first of his many Gulfstream jets, a
G3. Norman now owns his fifth Gulfstream, a $42- million G550 that
he spends some 600 hours on each year clocking some 325,000 miles.
He is now anxiously awaiting his newest helicopter, the Bell 609, and
he has the No. 15 slot for the machine he describes as “an incredible
piece of equipment.”
“It’s flying 25,000 feet at 300 knots,” notes Norman, who has more
than 200 hours behind the stick of a helicopter. “When you study everything
that’s out there, it will blow everything out the door! I love
flying the helicopter because you’re using everything from your head
to your eyes. It’s much more of a feel and finesse experience than flying
jets, and that’s what flying is all about.”
Then again bursting the speed of sound with the Blue Angels off
the coast of Florida, dogfighting inside the fierce F-4 Phantom with
the Royal Air Force in Scotland, or taking off and landing F-14s off
the U.S. aircraft carrier Carl Vincent in San Diego is quite memorable.
“There are people in the military who dream about some of the things
Norman’s done,” Maira says. “When people ask me how good a pilot
he is, it’s the same thing I told Bell—he’s been doing this for 14 to 15
years and flies as well as anybody.

Dead Head
27th May 2008, 12:14
When I was in my second last year of high school, the high school guidance counsellor called me down to his office. He told me he called me in cause I hadn't been to see him in four years, and asked "did I know what I wanted to do with me life."
I told him I wanted to be a pro golfer.
He then told me how wonderful that was, how he had no idea that our school had such a talent at it, that he himself was a bit of a golfer.
I told him that I had only played twice before, and had yet to break 100.
The excitement drained from his face, and he told me that he didn't think I had much chance.
I agreed, replying you asked me what I wanted to be, not what I was going to be
Pro golfers need extreme dedication and talent.
Anyone with enough cash can be an airline pilot.
You just need some Ray Bans, big watch, and like to talk about yourself

sanook
27th May 2008, 12:25
That was last week Deadhead. Have you been down to see him this week ?

Frogman1484
27th May 2008, 12:39
Greg Norman wants to be a pilot...well I want to be Greg Norman, that ungrateful Bast...d!!!

ACMS
27th May 2008, 13:06
see this is why we need a Forum for PILOT's only.

these village idiots can have their own forum somewhere else.

I suggest we call it PVrune Professional Village idiots rumour network

Why do we even bother???

Kitsune
27th May 2008, 14:07
AND a choker!!! :D

A. Le Rhone
27th May 2008, 15:17
828a...do you realise what a warped leap of logic that idiotic first post was?

Greg Norman would like to have been a pilot, therefore all pilots shouln't complain about CX!

Riiiigght...

Then here's one for you with the same logic.

I, quite obviously, am a brilliant, gifted pilot with huge cash reserves, a legend in my own lunchtime. I would have liked to have been a concert pianist. Therefore all of the poorly paid musicians should be grateful and stop whining about the crap salary the Detroit Symphony Orchestra pays them. Same stupid logic.

And deadhead what planet are you from? I have seen many potential pilots come into the industry with lots of $ but no motivation and they didn't get far at all (either dropped-out or died in plane crashes). Without doubt those who went on to become professional pilots exhibited 'extreme dedication' and certainly a fair degree of 'talent'.

What this industry is not short of though is disgruntled wannabes and jealous middle-management types who think that all there is to being a pilot is strutting around with RayBans and a big watch.

Yes 828a moaning pilots can be a pain but your argument is ridiculous. As a professional pilot if I used such stupid logic I'd be booted out of CX post-haste! And yes ACMS I agree with you, perhaps contributors to PPRune should have to be vetted by professional licence category!

828a
28th May 2008, 11:03
A.Le Rhone:
I make a statement that implies flying is a great profession. I then qualify my statement by saying there are some who wish they were part of it. For some reason you come up and say such talk is "stupid logic" (your words). If you are a Cathay pilot as you claim to be then it's a good job this is an anonymous forum or the bossman of CX flight ops might start worrying about you.

ACMS:
At long last we have something that we can agree on:

(1) Flying is a great career.
(2) Tall poppies should be cut down.
(3) Why do I bother? (I ask myself this everytime I switch on this computer).

828a

ACMS
28th May 2008, 11:19
828 get out your glasses and PUT THEM ON. I did not say tall poppies should be cut down.:{

828a
28th May 2008, 12:04
ACMS;

I assumed from your general demeanour that you would approve the cutting down of tall poppies. If I am wrong it follows that you must be a tall poppy supporter and such an admission means you have somewhat isolated yourself.

828a.

Jack57
28th May 2008, 13:09
I read the thread twice and I still have no idea what you're trying to say.

What absolute rubbish...hahaha

ACMS
28th May 2008, 15:35
828a....oh god man, what are you on? .................that thinking style is a bit of stretch, even for you buddy.

Maybe you should take your own advice and not bother to turn your computer on.:rolleyes:

iLuvPX
28th May 2008, 16:50
Just read an article last week about the #1 Tall Poppy owner in the world. He said if he had to do it all again, he wishes he would have been golfer who wanted to be a pilot.

True story.

Tmbstory
28th May 2008, 19:51
Prior to the purchase of his own Jet, Norman and his group used Jets in Australia for their travel requirements. I always found them good and considerate people and it was a pleasure to fly them.

Tmb

amos2
29th May 2008, 03:23
Hi there!...this is Greg Norman. Just want to tell you lot to watch your mouths otherwise I'll sue the pants off you!! :=

777300ER
29th May 2008, 04:51
This post is definitely in the running for the dumbest thread ever award....

ACMS
29th May 2008, 06:29
yep....................lock it away............................:hmm:

Pogie
29th May 2008, 09:51
Greg Who????

Seriously, I never heard of the guy!

Bwatchful
31st May 2008, 00:58
I think he's an English golfer who now lives in Florida. He's got lots of money.

Cumguzzler
31st May 2008, 01:22
Maybe they are talking about Greg Ruffner?

Old Fella
31st May 2008, 01:27
He sure isn't an Englishman. He is a "Banana Bender" (a Queenslander for those non-Australians among us) who has never reached his potential as a golfer, but still has earned more from golf and endorsements than any CX pilot will get in Provident Fund payouts. What's more, he probably doesn't care whether or not he is known to all.

Bwatchful
31st May 2008, 04:59
Old Fella: with a profile like yours, I'm gonna let this one go. Bless you.