PDA

View Full Version : National Aerospace Program

f1yboy
27th May 2008, 08:44
I was just wondering whether anyone is/was involved with National Aerospace at Essendon Airport. I'm looking at the Genesis Program that they offer. Could anyone give me an insight into what it entails and your view of the program. Anything would be a help.

Thanks in advance,
f1yboy.

OVER IT
30th May 2008, 01:57
Take your $$$ and run, unless you want to waste 6 months of your life being screwed around in Melb then even longer when you doing your ICUS.

wheretonow
30th May 2008, 04:36
OVER IT

Rather than posting gutless, baseless comments why dont you comment on your experience and why you feel this way.

The vast majority of graduates (many, many of them) have good solid jobs and the Genesis Pilot Program was where it all started.

Yes i have been invloved with the organisation on many levels and the program is a strong program for those who follow it .

Your constructive comments would be appreciated as your destructive comments will not.

WTN

metrosmoker
30th May 2008, 06:28
The last post was brought to you by the ever self promoting people at D!r*c! Air.
5 star service without the cost, cause we get our pilots to pay!

wheretonow, you jump on here whenever anyone bags your company or anything to do with it. Do you honestly believe that every pilot who has ever been associated with the organisation left with good memories? Do you believe that everyone who delt with your organisation has nothing but good things to say?
if you really want expriened people do transcribe there experinces than I am sure there are plenty who will.

if your program was that good than it`s merits would speak for itself.

ABX
30th May 2008, 06:57
where, you have certainly made your opinion clear, how about you 'fess up and admit that you are invested in the company.

As for the program in question, I made my investigations, had some interviews with people there and decided most positively against joining the program.

In my opinion, they were highly overpriced. A CPL/MECIR for around $100K! A B200 endo for around $20K!

I can get a CPL/MECIR for $50K and a King Air endo for $10K here locally. It seemed the 'cadetship' was a system where you pay an expensive amount for your training, then they dribble a little back to you as you fly revenue flights for them.

I have the brochures and information that they gave me during my visits there, with all the pricing details on it.

Take your $$$ and run, unless you want to waste 6 months of your life being screwed around in Melb then even longer when you doing your ICUS.
:D :D :D

rammel
30th May 2008, 07:42
I too looked at the program and was about to start, but it didn't feel right to me for what I wanted. My aim is to slowly chip away at things for the time being and then see if I want to go further after getting my PPL.

The main thing I didn't feel comfortable with was the large amount of cash you had to pay for the computer based training package, for things you can self study for.

Looking at the costs for me it seemed better to go to another school that is quite happy to have you pay as you go. I'm happy at the school I'm at now, and any theory you need help with they are also willing to help out.

Programs like this seem to be pretty good if you want to get things done over say a 12 month period and if you have the cash. If I was you I would think about what you want and in what time frame you want it. By taking a bit longer and going to a different school, without computer based training and doing self study, you may save yourself a large amount of dollars.

I don't know anyone at NAS, these are just how I felt in regard to my situation. I felt I didn't fit in with what they want and expect you to do in the program.

aviation_enthus
30th May 2008, 09:54
I have actually taken part in the program, not the Genesis program but the MECIR + ICUS and endorsments (recently advertised on AFAP). Found the whole experience a waste of time and money.

There are far more effective ways of getting the same experience/ratings than paying a large amount of money upfront (I paid $23K).

A few reasons....
A. Once you're in it will be very hard to get the money back if you aren't happy (ie have heard of lawyers being involved)
B. If you stick with it it will take far longer than you expect (3 1/2 months to do just the MECIR, instead of 12 weeks for the whole course!) This was due to a multitude of problems, instructors busy, A/C constantly in and out of maintainence for example.
C. The charter experience requires you to move to Darwin at your own cost, support yourself while you aren't being paid, the ICUS ISN"T ORGAINISED into a seamless program. I was in Darwin for another 3 months and had only completed the C210 ICUS and the C310 endorsement.
D. If you get a job somewhere else at some point during the program DON"T TELL ANYONE. If you read the conditions it will say you are entitled to NOTHING (no refund) if you leave the program for another job. And no they won't speed up what is remaining before you leave either, once its over, its over....

Spend your money somewhere else. All of the above points are from personal experience. YES there are people that have gone through the program in a reasonable time and gained employment in the airlines/bigger operators but that is not the usual outcome, it's not consistent.

This is one occasion where throwing money at it won't speed up the outcome....:hmm:

Jerr
1st Jun 2008, 00:39
Flyboy

Their website looks good, made a few enquiries, so I am currently at National.

Trying to finish off my CPL and I should be flying at the moment but their only single engine aircraft suitable for the CPL test, a 1981 Cessna 172 RG is off line again. There is now a backlog of students wanting to do their CPL tests. I know some students who having been waiting 6 weeks now. There is no back up or contingency planning here, elsewhere I have flown they seem to cross hire a plane at the drop of a hat, but not here.

I am kind of getting frustrated....particularly when I have a job lined up after my CPL.:ugh:

During Jan there was little to no instructing. They do the DASAR - search & rescue and the flying training just gets pushed to one side. I could have had a 4 week holiday then rather than waiting around.

YES everything does take much much longer than anticipated.

However my experience with their teaching, standards expected and testing has been good. Much higher standards than elsewhere. I am certainly a much better pilot than I was a year ago. Most of the instructors have had a lot of experience, and are keen teachers.:D

Overall, due to the chronic plane problems I am not sure I would make the same choice again

Good luck

JERR

crikeys
4th Jul 2011, 23:53
Can anyone shed some light on their recent National Aerospace experiences?

ForkTailedDrKiller
5th Jul 2011, 00:22
Can anyone shed some light on their recent National Aerospace experiences?

Yeah, in the last few weeks I have been in C, D, E and G national airspace! :E
All up, it was a pretty positive experience. :ok:

Dr :8

crikeys
5th Jul 2011, 02:13
Looking for comments good/bad ,re the above?

notaplanegeek
5th Jul 2011, 02:46
I wonder if you get to go to space once you are done?

tail wheel
5th Jul 2011, 02:56
Crikey, we're not into flying school assessments on PPRuNe.

You go make your own assessment of what works for you.