PDA

View Full Version : Making sense of Duty Times

hogespa28
27th May 2008, 04:12
Have my ATPL Law exam tomorrow and am going fine with everything except Duty Times. It just seems incredibly complex with one exception after another. Really struggling to get my head around it.

Anyone got any tips on ways to make sense of it all?

Captain Nomad
27th May 2008, 05:52
It's called 'rote learning' but most people have forgotten what that is...!

Seriously though, learn it well as one day you will be glad to have that to fall back on as a legal recourse to refuse flying when you're knackered...

I just remembered the numbers seperately. Maybe make up a column for duty and a column for flight and write in the requirements for each. Remembering your short notes will probably be easier than memorizing the legal wording of the CAOs. The other thing I did a long time ago was highlight the subsections pertaining to flight and its extensions and joined them with a line and likewise for duty. That will draw your eyes in the right direction when you are referencing for the exam. Alternatively use two different coloured highlighters for the sections pertaining to duty as opposed to flight.

Picturing a few practical scenarios of how it would work can also help.

das Uber Soldat
27th May 2008, 08:06
just did law.

Be aware that if they ask you a question on 3 pilot crew, saying you flew xxx hours etc, then ask you how long until you can act as an operating member of a 2 pilot crew, the 3 pilot rest times still apply, incase you get confused and try to apply the 2 pilot rest times pertaining to that flight time.

Capt Wally
27th May 2008, 08:12
.....if you find a way to understand perhaps the most complexe bit of crap that the rules have then let us all know:bored:
Remember in real life CAO 48 pretty much doesn't exist for some operators!

Good luck with it, like it's been said, learn it by rote/parrot fashion, once you have passed dump it like all the rest of it:ok:

CW

Mr. Hat
27th May 2008, 08:47
read em about a million times and draw up about 100 different table with arrows ect.

after a while it gets easy

3 Holer
28th May 2008, 02:10
Remember in real life CAO 48 pretty much doesn't exist for some operators!

That statement is only true if aircrew, of some operators, breach the CAO 48 provisions.

Cap'n Arrr
28th May 2008, 09:07
Or if they have a CASA approved fatigue management system. Makes life real easy!:ok:

dogcharlietree
31st May 2008, 06:13
Many, many, many, many years ago, I believe AFAP produced a flow-chart so that mere-mortal pilots could try to fathom this out.
I have never seen one, but would really like one of the old codgers to scan one and post it here.
I think it would help enormously.