PDA

View Full Version : Stewed Cheese

Atlas Shrugged
27th May 2008, 03:41
Just out of curiosity, does anyone happen to know the record for the highest number of Stewed Cheeses consumed in one sitting at Simpson's in London?

I was there a few weeks ago and heard mention of 16, washed down with half a bottle of Calvados :eek:, which I'm having a little trouble believing.

S'land
27th May 2008, 12:40
Gosh, is Simpson's in the City still going. Used to eat there at least once a month back in the seventies. There was a waitress there who, if I remember right, was over seventy years old and had been working at Simpson's for over fifty years.

The stewed cheese was fantastic. I don't know the record, but I once managed two.

Rossian
27th May 2008, 17:55
Stewed cheese? STEWED CHEESE?? Why does that sound an utterly revolting concept from the off? How do they make it - only out of idle curiosity you understand.
The Ancient Mariner

Union Jack
27th May 2008, 19:00
Some foods turn you off by the name

..... but the recipes, courtesy of Google, should turn you back on again!:)

Jack

PS You obviously weren't a submariner ...

Rollingthunder
27th May 2008, 19:00
Stewed Cheese.

Cut small into a stew-pan Cheshire and Gloucester cheese,
a quarter of a pound of each ; then add a gill of Lisbon wine,
a tablespoonful of water, and (if approved) a teaspoonful of
mustard.
Mix them over a fire till the cheese is dissolved;
then have ready a cheese-plate with a lighted lamp beneath,
put the mixture in, and serve it up directly. Send it with
some fresh-toasted bread in a toast-rack.

Rossian
27th May 2008, 21:35
Union Jack
Spot on! I was an anti-submariner - but I did once spend a couple of weeks on a (shhhhhh) French submarine where the food was great and nary a drop of stewed cheese to be seen. Ackshully reading that recipe it sounds like a down-market fondue, which I was never very keen on back in the '70s. We learn something new every day (even if it's not always to our advantage).
The Ancient Mariner