PDA

View Full Version : Jumping Archbishop

clicker
27th May 2008, 01:51
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7420477.stm

He was among the most prominent opponents of the war in Iraq, but the Archbishop of York John Sentamu is determined to improve the lives of the people sent to fight it.

But he is determined to make what he calls a "leap of faith" - from Langar Airfield - to raise money for service personnel who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Well done to the Archbishop, an excellence gesture. :ok:

polyglory
27th May 2008, 08:01
I'll second that with bells on:ok:

sitigeltfel
27th May 2008, 10:38
This "leap of faith". Will he be using the static line, ripcord or a prayer?

Roland Pulfrew
27th May 2008, 12:08
Anyone know where we can donate?

This bloke is so much better than the current head of the CofE.

airborne_artist
27th May 2008, 12:18
Archbishop of York John Sentamu is a top sky-pilot. He's also been very forthright on the subject of Mugabe/Zimbabwe.

News Flash 11.08 BST - jump postponed (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7421184.stm) - clearly the direct line to the big man i/c weather was U/S.

Donate here - http://www.afghanistantrust.org/ - click on the "Donate Now" link.

taxydual
27th May 2008, 12:44
Shame about the weather.

I suppose "If wet, in the Town Hall" wouldn't really be an alternative.

Donation dispatched. Good for you, Bish!!

Solid Rust Twotter
27th May 2008, 13:02
"If wet, off the steeple" perhaps?

exscribbler
27th May 2008, 14:14
This is a top bloke. :ok:

He stands up and is counted where and when it really matters. What a shame there are so few public figures prepared to match him - and not just in jumping out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft...

taxydual
27th May 2008, 14:34
a perfectly serviceable aircraft

Be careful, Exscribbler. You may end up starting another debate about what constitutes 'a perfectly serviceable aircraft'

SilverCityKid
31st May 2008, 08:33
Hear, Hear, we need more people, not just Archbishops, who will stand up in public and say the things that most people are thinking.

It is time to end the kow-towing to minority groups and concentrate on the silent majority. The period of Politically Correct (PC) Bulls**t needs to come to an end.

The Christian church should be providing a lead and the Archbishop of York is on of the few Church leaders who is prepared to stand up for the majority.

Discuss

The Archbishops parachute jump is rescheduled for 6th June at Langar, Nottingham (www.bishopthorpepalace.co.uk)

GreenKnight121
31st May 2008, 17:59
A most appropriate day.

Although shortly after midnight, in the wee hours of the 6th would be most appropriate, I doubt they'd let him.

airborne_artist
6th Jun 2008, 12:36
And he made it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/7439257.stm

"Asked why he did the jump, Dr Sentamu said: "It's important for citizens of this country to value those who risk their lives for the sake of this country so I'm doing my part.""

Top man. Hope he gets invited to loads of Mess functions - he'd probably be a very good speaker. He might even say Grace :ok:

Dan D'air
6th Jun 2008, 12:41
Be careful, Exscribbler. You may end up starting another debate about what constitutes 'a perfectly serviceable aircraft'

That's easy, they normally have "ROYAL NAVY" written on the fuselage.

As for the Bish, what a Top Man. There aren't many people in public life who have the courage of their convictions. Watching a replay on Sky, he seemed genuinely delighted to have helped raise the profile. It would be a privilege to buy him a pint anyday. :D:D:ok::ok:

exscribbler
6th Jun 2008, 15:01
Well done, Your Grace! (Why do I feel he may object to that title?) What a man and how open and honest he is with his opinions. He's a breath of fresh air. :ok:

I will not be drawn into inter-Service rivalry regarding the definition of serviceable. What I would note is that it seems 800 and 801 are not allowed to write Royal Navy on their Harriers. That's not nice.

Roland Pulfrew
6th Jun 2008, 15:51
What I would note is that it seems 800 and 801 are not allowed to write Royal Navy on their Harriers. That's not nice.

Do the RAF write Royal Air Force on "their" Harriers? And don't the Harriers belong to JFH not the RAF or RN? The sooner we ditch this stupid "branding" from our aircraft and helos the better:ugh:

Sorry completely off topic!

Good on You Your Grace, and Thanks!:ok:

exscribbler
6th Jun 2008, 23:12
ISTR C130s and C17s are branded as are the Reds. :E

To the Most Reverend and Right Honourable Archbishop of York - BGS, sir!

F14
6th Jun 2008, 23:36
The Bishop is a true gent. Not afraid to nail his colours to the mast. Is this a fight back from the church? maybe a crusade to Zim???

Mmmmnice
7th Jun 2008, 18:05
Top job by the Bish - but I bet when he saw the coverage he wished they had stuck the pointy hat on him after they were airborne! Surely someone could have dug out a decent hard hat rather than the comedy 'Blackadder' red padded job?

themightyimp
7th Jun 2008, 20:55
Top job by the Bish

That bl:mad::mad:dy Air Cdre Tim gets everywhere!!

On a more serious note, well done to the Archbishop - he was interviewed on the Jeremy Vine show on Friday and did more to highlight the issues facing servicepeople than any Government initiative...

waterhorse
10th Jun 2008, 22:24
what a guy - he was flying

it made me think of when they used to push witches in the water in the middle ages if they sank to the bottom they were innocent if they floated they were found guilty and then executed
anyone think of any politicans / military leaders they would like to encourage to jump out of a plane

exscribbler
10th Jun 2008, 22:47
Serviceable or not? With or without a parachute? Er... Let me think...

Most of the current party of government and all MPs MSPs, MWAs and MEPs who are lining their pockets. Will that do for a start?

Just a thought - can I use more than one aircraft?

clicker
11th Jun 2008, 08:56
Two A380's might just cover it.

greenedgejet
11th Jun 2008, 11:02
Well done Bish!

There's a group on facebook about his comments on Zimbabwe situation:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6040344978