PDA

View Full Version : Life After People?

tony draper
26th May 2008, 21:36
Anybody else watch this Channel 4 documentary? absolutely fascinating but as one has said elsewhere, rather sobering, tiz a question posed on prune by oneself a few years ago.
On my part the question arose when it was decided to let a bowling green in the me park revert to nature,said green had been mowed rolled and lovingly tended for a hundred years or so,but how quickly rough nature reclaimed it,almost cruel it were.
:uhoh:

Parapunter
26th May 2008, 21:41
Fascinating stuff. I come away armed with the certain knowledge that if every other cove & heel were to disappear, I should leg it for the Hoover dam - I'd still have elektrickery & it'd be about the last thing to fall on my head.

Flying kittys eh?

Blues&twos
26th May 2008, 21:47
Interesting topic, good CGI, but found the tone just a bit patronising. Just a bit.
Bloke talking about metal structures decaying over time - "This is a process called corrosion".

And there was quite a bit of repetition, now I think about it.

Maybe I'm just in a stroppy mood tonight?

Put1992
26th May 2008, 21:58
but found the tone just a bit patronising

Yes, but think about the wide audience this program is open to

Cheers

PileUp Officer
26th May 2008, 23:05
I thought quite a large amount of it was quite over-sensationalised.
I've been into many places that have been left vacant for way over five years (mainly engaging in photography) and pathways and roads, whilst overgrown, are still easily visible.

ShyTorque
26th May 2008, 23:24
One of the few stories I remember from my parentally enforced sunday school days, before I dropped out of religion forever, aged about 14:

Chap is tending his pristine garden when the new vicar walks by.

"Good morning", said the vicar, "What a lovely garden you have".

"Thankyou" said the man, "I did it all by myself".

"Don't you mean with the help of the good Lord?" said the vicar.

"Well, maybe" said the man, "But you should have seen the bloody awful state it was in when he had it all to himself!" :rolleyes:

Chimbu chuckles
27th May 2008, 05:14
I watched part of it on Discovery-a load of Gaia worshipping BS....I actually got so angry I turned off the TV.

Howard Hughes
27th May 2008, 06:04
Just out of interest for those who didn't see the documentary, how long did they say it would take the earth to reclaim the man made structures?

Can't imagine it would be a short time, the pyramids were built 5000ish years ago and they are still around!:eek:

ORAC
27th May 2008, 07:23
Longest lasting man-made objects on earth will be brass ornaments etc, buried underground. Eventually even they will be subducted my a tectonic plate. Maybe about 5 million years.

Objects on the moon will last a few million years longer before damage from micro-meteorites will wear them away.

Longest lasting will be the Voyagers in the interstellar void. It will be a long, long time till they make landfall again...

oldshuck
27th May 2008, 07:31
The program was quite good the effects were well done,but it assumed that everthing would more or less stay as it is now, no mention of weather changes or earthquakes volcanoes etc, to go forward that far surely there would be some catastrophic changes to the earth.
With reference to the pyramids I just think the desert would reclaim them in a much shorter time than was suggested.

Beatriz Fontana
27th May 2008, 17:10
Any news on whether it's going to be repeated on More 4 or E4?

eticket
27th May 2008, 17:28
http://www.channel4.com/video/brandless-catchup.jsp?vodBrand=life-after-people

if you can watch it online then it is available here for another seven days.

Beatriz Fontana
27th May 2008, 18:20
eticket,

Yeah, thanks - the wretched Channel Four "watch again" site only supports PCs, not Macs.

hingey
27th May 2008, 20:06
Didn't mention anything about climate change...

h

G-CPTN
27th May 2008, 21:44
A bit repetitive and no causal reason postulated as to why humans perished yet animals survived. If a 'nuclear winter' or some similar catastrophe were to occur, then either the animal kingdom would also be destroyed, or pockets of human existence might persist (though I'm not certain that 'man' could adapt to a primeval way of life after all these years of evolution).
Worth watching if you've nothing better to do . . .

frostbite
27th May 2008, 21:50
I once read that if all the birds were to disappear, we would follow in fairly short order since the resultant explosion in insect population would soon destroy all food sources.

G-CPTN
27th May 2008, 22:12
I can certainly imagine that a proliferation of insects could have disastrous effects on humans, but wouldn't it also affect animals too?
If something happened such that birds could no longer fly (not outwith the bounds of probability - though I cannot remember exactly how . . . ) then the insect population might explode.
Australia seems to have more flies than Britain . . .

tony draper
27th May 2008, 22:24
Most critters are tied together in a chain,effect one you effect the whole chain,saying that I imagine the one species who's disappearance would effect the natural world least would be ours.
Lets face it who would miss us? dogs? moggies? they would just revert.
One can imagine mother nature looking down on a earth devoid of humanity and saying "Thank **** for that"
:uhoh::)

CyclicRick
28th May 2008, 09:08
I agree with Tony, humans are the scurge of the planet all take and no give. The earth would be a wonderful green and lush planet without us.
Too many of us on the earth already anyway.

frostbite
28th May 2008, 12:08
Certainly, G-CPTN. I imagine it would affect animals marginally before humans, since humans rely on animals as a source of food, and animals mostly rely on vegetation which would have disappeared.

Ace Rimmer
28th May 2008, 12:57
I thought there was a consistancy disconnect - "In five years you won't be able to see roads and buildings would be totally overgrown and to prove it we're going to show you Pripiyat the city of 50,000 abandoned 20 odd years ago post Chernobyl - then the cut to Pripiyat - hmmm not yet as overgrown as the prog suggested everything would be within 18 months. Doubtless ma nature will, eventually reclaim it all but not as quick as the prog seemed to suggest.

Course as pilots we know that, gazing down on airfileds abandoned 60 odd years ago and even ploughed under and still clearly visible even those in national parks (Stoney Cross, Beaulieu & Holmsley South spring to mind)

airship
28th May 2008, 13:39
Lets face it who would miss us? dogs? moggies? they would just revert. I'm not sure how much is fact or fiction, but I remember having read about packs of wild dogs roaming some eastern European cities in the last decade or so. Apparently these packs consisted of dogs of all shapes, sizes and races. But they mainly lived because 1) they were mainly inoffensive to humans (unlike wolves a century or so ago - at least in Europe) so were not automatically exterminated, 2) they had human benefactors (those who fed them) or at least 3) survived by rummaging in the rubbish tips. Apart from example 1, a human presence would appear obligatory and essential to such packs. I don't doubt that some dogs would survive our absence, if only by consuming their smaller cousins (once their hyena-like instincts had operated to consume whatever remained of humans)...?!

So far as moggies are concerned, well, having had a few of my own (my remaining moggy requires 2 shots of insulin everyday...), I don't believe that the average domesticated cat even in good health would be able to "survive" - having already been brain-washed that food comes out of tins, or at least, if it's raw meat, it all comes out of the hand of their obliging (human) servants. That doesn't mean that the bird population would explode, merely that lots of birds feed on worms and larvae. Dead, rotting cat (or dog) carcasses would offer lots of feeding opportunities for a limited period.

Birds ought to get by though. But if they're out of town birds, it might be awhile before nature regains those abandoned fields, once planted heavily with crops that produced no viable seeds of their own, being the property of multi-national seed companies where next year's growth depends on the seed companies (and one imagines, humans).

At least hedgehogs (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7422299.stm) should find the absence of humans useful though... :ok:

Buster Hyman
28th May 2008, 14:11
And there was quite a bit of repetition
Oh, not like Centuries from Disaster! was it?

v6g
28th May 2008, 14:28
Ever wondered what the archeologists of the future will think when they dig up those rocks outside Asda that say "Permanently low prices forever"?

arcniz
28th May 2008, 17:47
I once read that if all the birds were to disappear, we would follow in fairly short order since the resultant explosion in insect population would soon destroy all food sources.

Hardly likely that a surplus of insects would doom any vertebrates remaining. As survival food, common insects are, well, the bees knees for protein and other nutrients. Not so hard to catch, ubiquitous, year-round availability. Ever heard of "land shrimp?"

(yeew, eech, pfft --- mmm tasty.)