PDA

View Full Version : Pound v Euro

jubilee
26th May 2008, 11:06
Over the last several months, we have seen the British Pound fall in value against the Euro.
Is their any reason to think this trend will continue - reverse itself - or just hold steady round its present rate.
Regards
Jubilee

Blacksheep
26th May 2008, 11:14
One lives in hope that there will be 2:00 to 1:00 by no later than the 30th of May. One is being paid in Euros at the moment.

Somehow, I'm afraid I shall be disappointed... :rolleyes:

ATNotts
26th May 2008, 16:33
Sterling isn't just weak against the Euro, it's weak against pretty well every major currency, except the US Dollar and other currencies pegged to it.

Thankfully it's slide seems to have halted at around 1.25 - its been there or thereabouts for a couple of months now. Whether it falls further will depend on how the UK economy is perceived to be performing through the current slowdown, and interest rates here, in comparison with the Eurozone.

It's my bet it won't go a lot lower - for the sake of the business for which I work, where we buy virtually all our product from Europe I hope I'm right!

It's a shame we didn't join up when we had the chance as suppliers in the Eurozone, when we ask them for assistance with prices simply retort that "it's not our fault you didn't adopt the Euro"!

VAFFPAX
26th May 2008, 17:14
I am on the fence on this. On the one hand, when I need to buy airline tickets, my price in € is a lot less than it used to be. But, on the other hand, the rental car price goes up because I'm billed in . Ditto for the hotels.

It sucketh.

S.

Track Coastal
26th May 2008, 17:22
Euro v Pound
http://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/5y?gbpeur=x

Aussie v Pound
http://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/5y?gbpaud=x

seekayess
26th May 2008, 17:35
A little birdie says: Convert all your USD holdings to Euro, like, yesterday!

Ditto for the sterling, though not that much of a panic there!

:hmm:

acmi48
26th May 2008, 20:16
ecb keeps interest rates at 4pc and the euro will hold 'as is 'for the year..
the pound is/was overvalued.. in old money 1gbp is at BEF 50/dm 2.50 ..which is what it was at the end of 79 when labour fell apart and thatcher got in..

redsnail
26th May 2008, 21:14
I get paid in Euros. :E It's gone from 0.62 to 0.79. Very happy. :ok:

Dan D'air
27th May 2008, 00:45
Me too, it's great going to the uk now, so cheap!!

But, I wouldn't recommend the Euro for GB, inflation is bad enough there already!!!!

zed3
27th May 2008, 03:29
Just wait , I reckon that the plan is to wait until the pound and euro are one to one and then say - right the euro's in ! We're all doomed .

jubilee
27th May 2008, 22:37
I started this thread for a reason, chiefly I have a large purchase to make in Euros, and have to convert Stirling into Euros.

Anybody reading this know how to obtain advantages rate in the commercial money markets.
Regards
Jubilee

ArthurR
27th May 2008, 22:42
Its a bu66er, my service pension is paid in pounds, I live in land.
Get back to a strong pound

Blacksheep
28th May 2008, 06:43
In my experience, the best way lies in having a younger brother who is a very senior pin-stripe spiv. Other than that, you're entirely at their mercy. (Unless you have a platinum account with your bank.) These b*ggers are so tight they even put all the money they have "in transit" into overnight interest bearing accounts at rates like 0.0002% for the night, so don't expect any favours on cash transfers under a couple of million pounds.

The SSK
28th May 2008, 06:52
I have a large purchase to make in Euros, and have to convert Stirling into Euros.

Why stop at Stirling? There's Kirkudbright, Clackmannan, Auchtermuchtie - virgin territory for a Euro-evangelist.

IB4138
28th May 2008, 07:09
There is hope, as financial reports and commentators have mentioned that the is over valued, as was the and that a correction can be expected.....but they don't say when.

Wingswinger
28th May 2008, 08:33
Switch your mortgage to a foriegn currency one in . When the rate returns to normal, as it surely will sometime in the future, switch back to and you'll knock many thousands off your debt.