PDA

View Full Version : Sky + in Germany

MOSTAFA
26th May 2008, 10:38
Hoping somebody can help with a problem involving SKY in Germany. No1 son off back to Paderborn shortly and will be quartered in Senelager.

Without all the legal bits, questions about who owns what etc (he has been told by SKY that he owns everything Sky HD Box, dish the lot). Can he simply pack it all up in a box, set it all up, point the UK dish in the same direction as the others (Accurately) and make it work?

He has discussed this with SKY and they say providing he still subscribes the service would still be available!!

Anybody tried the same, would my question be better on the Mili Aircrew Forum?

Hyph
26th May 2008, 13:47
To answer the question: Yes. :cool:

Of course, it's not quite that simple.

Anyone with a modicum of ability and some ingenuity should be able to figure out how to install and set up a satellite dish. He shouldn't have too much trouble getting a signal. :ok:

However, getting the dish to the optimum azimuth and elevation without installers tools (satfinder) will require patience and a lot of trial and error. Picture quality and/or the number of channels available will vary with the alignment of the dish.

The Sky Digital service is broadcast using several different satellite transponders (Astra 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D and Eurobird 1).

He will need a bigger dish to receive all the channels. The Sky mini-dish will get him some channels, but he will almost certainly want a larger dish.

The Astra 2D transponder is targetted at the UK only and carries BBC1,2,3,4/ITV1. A larger dish should be able to pick up the weak signal in Germany. Unfortunately, the SES Astra footprint page (http://www.ses-astra.com/consumer/uk/how-to-receive-astra/footprints/index.php) suggests that he's on the fringe of coverage and will need a 120cm dish - difficult to install discreetly.

Finally, Sky insist that you connect your digibox to a telephone line. The box occasionally dials Sky to let them know it's still out there. The caller ID of the line tells them that the digibox is where it is supposed to be. They can disable the box over the air if they decide that it is being used illegally (no or wrong caller ID).

It is likely he will eventually get caught out by this, unless he can find a way of fooling the box into thinking it's still in the UK. There are companies out there who claim to get around this, but I don't know how true this is.

I am very surprised that Sky have suggested that it's ok for him to do this - it isn't. They normally get very shirty about it. I'd ask for something in writing from Sky.

SpringHeeledJack
26th May 2008, 14:24
MOSTAFA

I have a mate in D-land who uses SKY, but he got it from this mob

http://storesatellite.com/skyingermany.php

As far as i can remember it was this mob..... Perhaps it would be possible for your son to bring his gear with him and then buy a card from the above and go from there. He could, of course, ditch the sky and enjoy the delights of German television (and learn the language at the same time) :}

Regards

SHJ

5711N0205W
26th May 2008, 20:35
Finally, Sky insist that you connect your digibox to a telephone line.

My sky digibox has never been connected to the phone line in 10 years and I have never had any problems....:confused:

mrloop
26th May 2008, 20:43
The discussion forums on Toytown Germany have lots of information about how other Brits abroad deal with this issue.

http://www.toytowngermany.com/search/?q=sky%2B

A2QFI
26th May 2008, 21:11
I certainly got Sky at Laarbruch 15 years ago. Whether it was legal or not I neither know nor care - it worked. You only have to have a phone line connected for the first year of your contract, SFAIK. I haven't had mine connected for 9 years in UK and this hasn't given me any hassle.

Hyph
27th May 2008, 15:39
My sky digibox has never been connected to the phone line in 10 years and I have never had any problems....

My old box had been disconnected from the phone line after I switched over to Sky+. I didn't bother with the multi-room thing. A few months later Sky invalidated the old viewing card. A quick phone call sorted it out and they turned it back on.

They might not do it often, but they can do it.