PDA

View Full Version : Route to Sydney

Evanelpus
23rd Jul 2001, 19:06
Hi

Some friends of mine are flying from LHR to SYD via SIN with Singapore Airlines in the not too distant future.

Their 12 year old son is very interested in geography and wants to know what countries he can expect to fly over. The family have tried to contact SIA directly but were told, politely but firmly, that it was not company policy to divulge such information.

I can understand the 'company line' but can some kind soul from SIA let me have the flight routings which SIA usually take from LHR-SYD.

I will respect your anonimity.

Rockhound
24th Jul 2001, 06:01
Evanelpus,
Check the following site for great circle routings LHR-SIN and SIN-SYD: http://gc.kls2.com
Regards,
Rockhound

Rockhound
24th Jul 2001, 06:25
Evan,
Rockhound back. I just remembered a book that might interest your friends and their son: London-Sydney (From the Flight Deck No. 8) by Philip J. Birtles. Ian Allan, 1993. It describes, in pretty fair detail, BA Flight 011 in a 747-400. The routing was Belgium-Germany-Czechoslovakia-Romania-Turkey-Iran-Pakistan-India-Thailand-Malaysia-SIN. Not quite the great circle route but still perhaps valid. I'm not in any way connected with SIA but I don't believe they overfly Russia on this route. Anyway, if any of your friends are interested in long-haul airline flying, they will enjoy this book (and others in the series).
Hope this helps.
Rockhound

crl
24th Jul 2001, 14:20
Rockhound,
That's an useful website to bookmark... Thanks. :)
CRL :cool:

Evanelpus
24th Jul 2001, 18:50
My sincere thanks to all who have given me some useful info.

Rockhound
25th Jul 2001, 04:25
Evanelpus,
You're welcome. I've just received some info from a SIA pilot whom I know. The usual route from LHR to SIN crosses Netherlands, Germany, Poland, Ukraine, Black Sea, Caspian Sea, Turkmenistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, and Malaysia. I haven't checked but this looks pretty much like a great circle route to me.
Rockhound :)

twitchy
30th Jul 2001, 05:36
Evanelpus
Listen the best thing will be to tell your friend not to worry about, SIA has a beautiful Flight Progress display on board its 747-400 on channel 22. On board you friend can see practically which all countries they are going to overfly :rolleyes: