PDA

View Full Version : Cx first interview aerodynamics questions

mineok65
26th May 2008, 03:19
For all you people who are about to go for your first interview with Cathay their aerody entire question list can be answered from the book 'Handling the Big Jets'. If you don't want to study the whole thing yourself there's a blog with a summary at http://myleahandbrendan.************* . Good luck with it.

mineok65
29th May 2008, 11:15
The end of the link keeps getting shredded for some reason, well here it is in long form http:// myleahandbrendan dot ******** dot com. Get rid of the spaces and put dots where indicated and it should get you there.
By the way, my questions focused on reasons for dutch roll, why a swept wing can achieve a higher m crit and the reasons for using a flying tailplane.
My met questions focused on typhoons in the HK area, seasons, triggers, directions of movement etc.
Good luck

spearomic
29th May 2008, 12:19
Anyone can answer the questions about typhoons there ? I don't have specific documentations about that. and please don't be a smart a.. about it
cheers

ashcroft79
29th May 2008, 20:42
wish I could help you. They didn't ask me anything about any of that stuff. Makes me worry about how hard this second interview is going to be.

fumes
30th May 2008, 03:47
Second interview no harder than the first, pot luck with questions.

Typhoons: look it up on wikipedia, 26.5 degrees surface temp, 5-20 degrees lat, etc....req'd for formation, move westerly, then pole-ward due to stronger coriolis on polar side. Re-curve to the east across the sub-trop ridge. get their energy from latent heat of condensation, last around 10 days, wind spead greater than 64 kts off hand.

Enjoy.

Oh, Carbon brakes a good question at interview too.

spearomic
30th May 2008, 18:30
thanks a lot !

exjetstreamer
31st May 2008, 12:12
you may want to study also de-icing procedures on the ground. Why start with the wings and finish with the tail? I was asked that question on my DESO interview.

MilPilot
31st May 2008, 13:14
What did you answer? :)

SOPS
31st May 2008, 13:58
Im not knocking any of you for putting in the effort, but I am amased at what CX considers important to know at an interview.

fumes
1st Jun 2008, 00:13
I don't think they actually expect you know a lot of it. It is an obvious way of testing motivation and knowledge, but is also a logical way to promote conversation. Through this, they get to see your communication skills, confidence, articulation and maturity. From what I know, if you get to the final interview and pass the sim, you're pretty much in. The more you know, the better your case, but remember you are not 'in the company' and probably not 'type rated'. Don't forget to bone up on your current type, doesn't look good if you can't answer questions on your own type (max weights, tyre pressures, Vmca etc...). Just my opinion and experience. Good luck!!

NineInchSnail
2nd Jun 2008, 18:54
Nice website,thanks for the time spent. Will save a lot of time I am sure for a lot of people.....