PDA

View Full Version : MAS & Malaysian Charters pilots

Kanata
22nd Jul 2001, 01:09
Hello
I am a Malaysian with an FAA CPL/MULTI-IFR (just completed). Thinking of coming back home to make a career out of flying. Any MAS/Malaysian Charters/domestic airlines Pilots here that can give me a leg up about the job situation /contacts/precedures/health/visual requirements? been away for a while now, so pardon my ignorance. thanks in advance!

Gnote
22nd Jul 2001, 10:09
Dude, since you're from Canada, don't you have an ICAO license instead of an FAA issue? Or did you just convert it?

Kanata
22nd Jul 2001, 21:40
From Canada? no, I'm in Florida. and have an FAA license. what makes you think I am from Canada?

so any opportunities in Malaysia?

Gnote
23rd Jul 2001, 06:18
I could have sworn that your location tab and profile said from "Canada" before. Oh well, could be my mistake...

Hermie
23rd Jul 2001, 07:04
GNOTE,

I can confirm that ! I saw that he was from Canada but I definitely think he change his profile therefore ...

But anyway, That was hilarious !

And Kanata, ALL THE VERY BEST. I ain't have any contact cause, not from Malaysia.

Cheerios :cool:

Kanata
23rd Jul 2001, 11:06
a330:
FAA license nothing in Malaysia?
so what is recognised then?

Kanata is sad......

Kanata
28th Jul 2001, 23:06
This posting is not really working. No one from the Malaysian aviation community is here I guess. Or maybe they are not really interested in helping a Newbie out. =(

fly safe everyone.

QNH1013
29th Jul 2001, 11:42
Kanata,
If you do a search of the previous posts here, I believe 'Borneopilot' asked similar questions and a detailed explanation of what the DCA requires for licence conversion was given by someone. I haven't looked in the Search function myself but I'm sure it's there.

In short, it's very difficult to get airline jobs here in Malaysia at the moment. Still lots of qualified unemployed pilots struggling to get a foot in the industry nomatter how small a start.

Kanata
30th Jul 2001, 21:42
QNH1013:
Will look for Borneopilot's posting. Thanks! Is the industry that slow now?

zxamx
31st Jul 2001, 17:27
Dear Friend,
I am from Malaysia and I think I know about the flying related job in M'sia. Currently, DCA Malaysia doesn't recognise any licence other than Malaysian's or CAA (UK) licences. To be honest, there are quite a number of highly qualified unemployed pilots in M'sia. Just forget about MAS as they don't look at locals at all. If you are a foreign passport holders, you may have a chance (no wonder they company lost more than RM 1 billion last year). MAS is only taking cadets instead of qualified local pilots. Transmile is the only company that taking pilot right now but it depends on your luck as this company will only recruit pilot when they managed to secure any freighter contract with any company. Latest info, they are acquiring 2 x B727-200 and they are looking at least 7 FOs for these aircrafts. Hope this will assist you.

Kanata
3rd Aug 2001, 01:09
Hello HushKitted,
Thanks for the info. Would you happen to have Transmile Air's contact? don't seem to be on the net.

Kanata
3rd Aug 2001, 01:19
Hold on, I've managed to find their website. Thanks!

zxamx
6th Aug 2001, 20:02
Dear Kanata,
If you are interested to write to Transmile Air, you can mail your CV to the address below:

Flight Operation Manager
Transmile Air Sdn Bhd
Transmile Complex
Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport
47200 SUBANG
Selangor, Malaysia
(Attn: Capt Tan Lay Kien)
Tel: 60-3-747 3757
Fax: 60-3-746 5077

Wish you all the best.

:cool:

Old Dog
7th Aug 2001, 21:37
Kanata,

While you are still unemployed, go and get your CAA ATPL. CPL is not much use here, and FAA licences are not regconised. You need CAA licence.

Better to do ATPL in Malaysia. Until you get your ATPL(frozen), don't bother with MAS yet. Your chance will be extremely slim until you get your frozen ATPL.

In the past, MAS has prejudiced against GA and self-sponsored pilots. You would stand a better chance if you would just throw away your FAA licence and apply for ab-initio cadet pilot, provided your academics subjects have been good, Local SPM/STPM preferred (a good credit in the National Language is important). MAS prefers to select their own cadets, sends them to flying schools and pays for their expensive training, rather than recruit from a pool of local pilots.

SQ is in similar situation. BTW, if you didn't get a good score in the Bahasa Malaysia in SPM or STPM, then try SQ. My BM score was not good, but they were more lenient in the old days.

[ 07 August 2001: Message edited by: Old Dog ]

Kanata
9th Aug 2001, 06:01
Dear OldDog,
damn! I've got a 5 for my SPM BM. Need CAA (UK) ATPL (Frozen) - that's a series of written exams right? no flight time requirements? I think I should be contacting MFA for detailed info. I guess I gotta burn more $$$ =( maybe I'll stay in the states as a flight instructor...what do you guys think? what would you do if you're in my shoe? need input desperately. :rolleyes:

mktong
9th Aug 2001, 18:17
Kanata,
Yes instructing in the States is another option.anyway make sure u have an appropriate visa.by the way,which flight school r u in?
Cheers and good luck

crl
13th Aug 2001, 15:06
Kanata,
Totally agreed with mktong. US GA needs flight instructors all the time and worth trying while waiting I reckon, accumulate some hours and getting your CAA ATPL(frozen) is definitely recommeded if you wish to head back to this part of the world.
All the best.
CRL
:)

Kanata
14th Aug 2001, 07:30
Hello mktong & crl,
totally agree, two important words:
"GREEN CARD" if no right to work in US, a bit difficult no? :rolleyes:

Gnote
14th Aug 2001, 08:32
Just find a school that is able and willing to offer you a work visa after you complete your instructor rating. I know this is available in the States.

Old Dog
16th Aug 2001, 22:26
US flying hours not regconised here unless it is with a major carrier. I can't advise beyond that. FAA licence not regconised unless you flew for a major carrier. You still have to sit for Air Law to get your licence endorsed.

It is always better to do training in the country you intend to work for. Better still become a cadet pilot in one of the major carrier. It is tougher any other ways.

Air force is another alternative.

It cost around RM 110,000.00 to get your CPL/IR or ATPL(frozen) in MFA, Malacca. The school is regconised by DCA Malaysia. Some old Piper PA28 and PA34, and a flight simulator too. No job guarantee, but join the local pool of GA pilots and wait....

[ 16 August 2001: Message edited by: Old Dog ]