PDA

View Full Version : So Hamilton wins again, Monaco.

helimutt
25th May 2008, 14:05
Wonder if he'll win the championship this year.

Opsbeatch
25th May 2008, 14:12
Did he?
Didn't get a chance to see it, bloody kids got the tv remote!!!!

helimutt
25th May 2008, 14:15
You didnt miss much. Only reason it was on here was because my kid had hidden the remote control and gone out. Couldn't turn it off! Monaco is always a procession drive. No place to overtake. One or two shunts was about the most excitement.

glad rag
25th May 2008, 14:37
Wong, best race of the season so far, drama, high speed incidents, spins, wet tyres, dry tyres, Hamilton destroying all in the middle of the race, 33 seconds to massa before he pits, ha no overtaking, you are so "off the pace" baby! :ok:

Farmer 1
25th May 2008, 15:05
One or two shunts

Somebody's lost his calculator.

Fitter2
25th May 2008, 16:00
If you follow F1 it was a nailbiter, and your heart goes out to Adrian Sutil.

If you don't, enjoy whatever it is that you do enjoy. I promise I won't make stupid remarks about it.

hippotamus
25th May 2008, 17:22
well as someone who lives in a time zone where the race is on early morning and is PVR'ed until a more reasonable hour , I would like to thank you for the fact that I don't need to watch it this time . I normally manage to avoid news websites until I've watched it

Cheers :ugh: :ugh:

ORAC
25th May 2008, 19:29
Hamilton had puncture on slow down lap

McLaren CEO Martin Whitmarsh revealed to autosport.com that Lewis Hamilton was lucky to finish the Monaco Grand Prix, let alone win it, after the team discovered that the Briton had a puncture on the slow down lap.

Hamilton, who became the first English winner of the Monaco Grand Prix since Graham Hill 39 years ago, collected a right-rear puncture early in the race when he hit the wall at Tabac. But while Whitmarsh admitted there was superficial damage to the McLaren in the first incident, he suggested that Nico Rosberg's crash at the Swimming Pool complex could have ruined Hamilton's chances of victory.

"We had a look, there was a bit of floor damage, we checked and when a tyre comes in flailing. We checked it and structurally it was fine," Whitmarsh told autosport.com. "But he had a puncture on the slow down lap as well. We were lucky in that regard. It was a right rear puncture....probably from debris from Nico's accident."

Hamilton could consider himself luckier considering the race was two laps shorter than scheduled.........

G-CPTN
25th May 2008, 20:34
I agree that it was a good race. Lewis made the most of his situation, whilst Massa seems to have just 'festered' with Kubica challenging throughout.
It seems that the safety car could have contributed to the result (Lewis was some distance ahead, even after his pitstop). Kovalainen should have been released earlier and that no doubt affected his recovery as well as delaying the restart, although Kimi taking out Sutil (and delaying himself) meant that Kovalainen took the remaining point position.
Alonso's performance was erratic. Methinks better planning could have paid dividends for him.

cargosales
25th May 2008, 21:56
Against all expectations (I was expecting the usual boring Monaco procession) it was definitely the most entertaining race so far this year :ok:

McLaren made a good call in fuelling Lewis long after his early mistake :D , Ferrari got it completely wrong with Massa's strategy :ouch: and Kubica yet again did a brilliant job in wringing the best out of the BMW :)

I don't know what on earth Kimi thought he was doing today :confused: , Sutil showed his true potential for as long as the errant Finn allowed him to :{ and there were thrills and spills aplenty. I particularly liked the tangle at the hairpin with Alonso T-boning Heidfeld (I think) and the latter then driving over the ferret's front wing to get going again :}

Bring on Canada and let's remember who was strong there last year!

G-CPTN
25th May 2008, 22:13
Why was Heidfeld not up with Kubica?

cargosales
25th May 2008, 22:29
Why was Heidfeld not up with Kubica?

Partly because he didn't do well in qualifying and hence started lower down the grid .. and then in the race, the ferret drove into him and damaged his car, caused him to pit and which hampered him thereafter.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=34937

and partly because he probably just isn't quite as good a driver as Kubica..

But others may have a slightly different take on things ...?

Duckbutt
25th May 2008, 22:35
'Loby, with the best will in the world I have watched the whole race and I couldn't see any any time when LH didn't earn his win. I am sure you must have so do enlighten me.

I didn't spot any cheating manouever from Lewis which unjustly forced the gallant Alonso back down the field to 8th or wherever he finished either.

G-CPTN
25th May 2008, 22:36
Thanks for that cargosales. I couldn't find anything as useful and informative as that.
I guess running fifth (when Alonso decided to T-bone him) wasn't that bad . . .

lowerlobe
26th May 2008, 04:00
Duckbutt......Getting a bit sensitive are we?

So LH won Monaco..So what....Apart from ITV stroking over it I can't see the fuss.

Monaco to me is always a bore as it is more about luck than good driving especially in the wet.Overtaking is near to impossible and LH was as lucky to win as others were unlucky to have not.....In fact I don't really think he won instead it's more a point of others losing.One or two more laps and LH would not have finished because of the tyre problem.

I like to see good driving not crashes so this sort of race is not interesting to me.Drivers passing each other at Monaco is about as rare as rocking horse manure.

Adrian Sutil was very unlucky and so were many others.LH was lucky the rain stopped and Massa unlucky the rain didn't continue....Kubica did a great job too.

Alonso stuffed it up and Kimi really was never in the race and it was really lucky that no one was seriously hurt.

I have never been a fan of street circuits and the only thing Monaco has going for it is the glamour and image otherwise Bernie and the FIA would have closed it years ago....it really is not a race especially in the wet but instead more like a demolition derby.....

26th May 2008, 08:23
Adrian Sutil was very unlucky and so were many others.LH was lucky the rain stopped and Massa unlucky the rain didn't continue....Kubica did a great job too.

So out of the entire field, the only one you quote as being lucky is Hamilton, and everyone else was unlucky.
Just maybe it wasn't luck, and it was down to driving skill.

So LH won Monaco..So what

Can you honestly say that if he lost, you wouldn't have been on here, crowing about how "the boy wonder" screwed up again.

jammydonut
26th May 2008, 08:47
Pity that Mosley was not tied up and thrown into path of the start:D

lowerlobe
26th May 2008, 10:15
So out of the entire field, the only one you quote as being lucky is Hamilton, and everyone else was unlucky.
......I would have thought that fairly obvious 419...

LH was first over the line and therefore lucky to do so especially when you considered he thumped the wall early on and apparently had a slow puncture on the last lap....So yes very lucky....

And yes a lot of other drivers were unlucky not to finish or be in a position for a podium through no fault of their own...
Can you honestly say that if he lost, you wouldn't have been on here, crowing about how "the boy wonder" screwed up again.
YES....I mentioned him hitting the wall but did I have a go at him or say he screwed up?

He did do a good job but so did others.....some more lucky than others.

Tony Hirst
26th May 2008, 11:08
I don't really know where all this talk of luck fits in, he hit the wall but still exited the pit in 4th - how is that luck other than he qualified and drove sufficiently well to absorb and eventually overcome a potentially catastrophic mistake.

Kimi and Masher were simply outclassed, not unlucky.

It is clear that Hammy and Kubicia are the best in the field at this time - by a country mile. Interesting that this time last year Hammy predicted that Kubicia would be his main adversary of the future - starting to look like a good call.

frostbite
26th May 2008, 12:00
I have always liked David Coulthard and wished him well, but I do think it's time he thought seriously about retiring.

RedTBar
26th May 2008, 12:08
I don't really know where all this talk of luck fits in, he hit the wall but still exited the pit in 4th - how is that luck
Yeah right mate.So he loses it and clouts a wall and only gets a flat and you are telling us thats not lucky.
The next thing you'll tell us is that he did it deliberately so he could change his strategy.
Kimi and Masher were simply outclassed, not unlucky.
No argument about Kimi but Massa was pulling away from Lewis at the start when it was raining so you can give that one a rest.Was Massa and Kimi outclassed when they got the front row?

I think Heidfeld was unlucky to get nailed and how many guys had cars run into them?

G-CPTN
26th May 2008, 12:18
If it was the right decision to refuel for a longer stint, why don't they qualify with minimum fuel to get a good grid position then pit and refuel early? Or does it only work with a wet track?

26th May 2008, 12:41
And I suppose it was down to luck that Hamilton built up an almost 40 second lead before the safety car was deployed, and when the race was restarted, he again built up enough of a lead to win by over 3 seconds.

ORAC
26th May 2008, 14:17
And it was lucky Massa screwed up - again...

That boy really needs to learn how to drive his car under pressure....

lowerlobe
26th May 2008, 20:58
And it was lucky Massa screwed up - again...
.....and LH didn't make a mistake by hitting the wall when he was trying to keep up with Massa in the wet?

When you think about it Massa is doing a better job at the moment than Raikkonen.....

In fact as he was being chased by Kubica he out braked himself but managed to keep it off the wall...Not bad driving when others including the boy wonder did not.....

Eagle402
26th May 2008, 21:10
Lowerlobe,

I think Hamilton was extremely lucky not to trash his car but having said that he did drive a very impressive middle stint. When it rains at Monaco the race becomes a lottery and especially so when there is no traction control (note the several lairy exits from the pit lane) so all the hype re Hamilton is somewhat tiresome. Nobody was criticising Massa in Istanbul - I thought he did well especially when Ferrari being 1-2 on the grid was almost as big a surprise to the Scuderia as it was to McLaren.

Oh, and is it me or does anybody else find Hamilton's Dad more annoying than a mohair jockstrap ?

Eagle402

roamingwolf
26th May 2008, 22:25
Eagle,for my money I'd like to see Massa win the championship.He's playing second fiddle to Kimi and he has done a beaut job in the last few races.

In the wet in Monaco Massa was great and Hamilton was bloody lucky he hit the wall where he did instead of just past the pit entrance.if he had to do nearly a complete lap he might not have made it back to the pits with no tyre.

Eagle402
26th May 2008, 22:30
roamingwolf,

Good shout re Massa - he was very impressive in the wet conditions, unlike Kimi who was ragged throughout. Interesting, just like Moto GP, how the rain can create surprise performances (Sutil/Barrichello) isn't it ?

Best wishes,

Eagle402

cargosales
26th May 2008, 23:19
Eagle402 wrote: Oh, and is it me or does anybody else find Hamilton's Dad more annoying than a mohair jockstrap ?

I'm sure lots of us would love to answer the question but have never encountered mohair jockstraps. Are you trying to tell us something? Please provide details of how and why they are so annoying so we can make a fair comparison with LH's dad. Pictures are definitely not required for most of us guys thank you but I'm sure the ladies might appreciate one or two for err .. evaluation purposes :E

Roamingwolf wrote: In the wet in Monaco Massa was great and Hamilton was bloody lucky he hit the wall where he did instead of just past the pit entrance.if he had to do nearly a complete lap he might not have made it back to the pits with no tyre.

To be fair, both Hamilton and Massa made mistakes, as did almost every driver on the wet Monaco track. The difference is that Hamilton's mistake resulted in a pit stop and a strategy change whilst Massa's over-run gifted Kubica a place.

IIRC, Jackie Stewart and others being interviewed before the race said that luck was an essential part of winning at Monaco in the wet, and so it turned out.

roamingwolf
27th May 2008, 01:16
IIRC, Jackie Stewart and others being interviewed before the race said that luck was an essential part of winning at Monaco in the wet, and so it turned out.
mate that is exactly what I was saying when I said Hamilton was lucky not to play pinball after the pit entrance.

Like others have said I feel sorry for Sutil who was really unlucky not to pick up 4th or 5th spot.

Like few others Sutil ran a brilliant race in lousy conditions only to have someone collect him when the finish was in sight.

parabellum
27th May 2008, 02:00
As someone once said, "The harder I work the luckier I get"!:ugh:

roamingwolf
27th May 2008, 02:10
"The harder I work the luckier I get"
then a Ferrari runs into the back of you just before you are going to pick up the best pay check of your career.
But i might tell the wife about that rule and see if I work harder today will I get lucky tonight:E

MARCUS122
27th May 2008, 05:35
According to Mclaren Heikki suffered An electronics glitch that was not his fault, and stalled on the grid. Had he not suffered this it could have been A Mclaren 1-2.

I think Ferrari are missing that tactical ans strategic genius that is Ross Brawn.

roll on Canada

G-CPTN
27th May 2008, 10:58
Indeed, I believe that Ross Brawn would have had a strategy . . .

Farmer 1
27th May 2008, 11:22
why don't they qualify with minimum fuel to get a good grid position then pit and refuel early? Or does it only work with a wet track?

If they thought there was a fair chance of getting far enough ahead on light fuel, then I'm sure they would do it. But then, so would everybody else. You need to be something like 25 seconds ahead in order to get in and out of the pits still in front. It's not often anyone can do that in such a short time.

Eagle402
27th May 2008, 16:39
Cargosales wrote :

Quote :

I'm sure lots of us would love to answer the question but have never encountered mohair jockstraps. Are you trying to tell us something? Please provide details of how and why they are so annoying so we can make a fair comparison with LH's dad. Pictures are definitely not required for most of us guys thank you but I'm sure the ladies might appreciate one or two for err .. evaluation purposes.

Greetings Cargosales - I can vouch that I have never worn one but I'm sure that you can use your imagination and figure out that wearing such a device is extremely irritating! And, be still thy beating heart, there was never any danger of a picture ! I was trying to be a little more original rather than asking if anybody else thought Hamilton Senior was annoying ! ;)

Best wishes,

Eagle402

G-CPTN
27th May 2008, 16:49
More annoying than Ecclestone?

cargosales
27th May 2008, 22:26
Greetings Cargosales - I can vouch that I have never worn one but I'm sure that you can use your imagination and figure out that wearing such a device is extremely irritating! And, be still thy beating heart, there was never any danger of a picture ! I was trying to be a little more original rather than asking if anybody else thought Hamilton Senior was annoying ! ;)

Damn you Sir for not rising to the bait. And especially for not providing the discerning ladies here with photographic evidence!

Which response (or lack of it) makes you just slightly more annoying than Hamilton Senior ;)

Now, where can we find some good 'Name the Mr Smug Ten-Percenter that you'd Love to Give a Good Slap' type of jokes? :E

roamingwolf
27th May 2008, 22:58
The best thing I reckon about the championship is that with it this close the drivers will want to take risks instead of just going for points.
I hope that means more attempts at overtaking on the track instead of overtaking during the pitstops.
For my money I would like to see Massa beat Kimi and I'd like to see Heikki do the same to Hamilton.
Old Flavio will be wanting Heikki back the way he is driving and the way FA's team mate is going.
How about Mr slap and tickle?

GrumpyOldFart
28th May 2008, 01:16
Ah, yes. Bernie Ecclescake. The Poison Dwarf.

Wonder why I always think of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWK6I1cR34k)when I hear his name?

:uhoh:

parabellum
28th May 2008, 02:13
"Ah, yes. Bernie Ecclescake. The Poison Dwarf."

When ever I hear his name I think of his wife in a bikini and high heels!:E

innuendo
28th May 2008, 05:24

James Allen.

lowerlobe
28th May 2008, 06:10
I'm actually hoping that Jeremy Clarkson and Co will get the BBC gig for the F1...

The one thing I like about Clarkson is his irreverence.It is a trait that is sadly lacking from so many TV commentators these days...

Now if we could only bring back James Hunt and get Murray Walker to come out of retirement....