PDA

View Full Version : Roberts Radio 250 Revival opinions

garp
25th May 2008, 12:34
I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these but I'd appreciate any feedback before doing so.

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/312/robertsradiorevival250pa9.jpg

SpringHeeledJack
25th May 2008, 15:27
A friend bought one of these a few years back and she was very satisfied with it. Sound was as good as any comparible radio and the retro look really gave her kitchen a cool touch. My advice, go for it !

Regards

SHJ

henry crun
25th May 2008, 22:18
Go ahead and shoot, put it out of its misery.

Lost_luggage34
25th May 2008, 22:38
Where is Herr Draper when you need him ?

He'd have in and out of his shed in a jiffy. Oh, hang on it doesn't have valves does it ?

:}

dontpickit
26th May 2008, 08:11
For a similar price you could get something like this, portable, compact, digital tuning, multiple memories. The ability to listen to the Beeb World Service in some god forsaken corner of the world is not to be dismissed!

http://www.classic-worldband.com/thumbs/icf-7600gr.gif

Beatriz Fontana
26th May 2008, 10:22
garp,

A lovely beast of a radio! However, I'd recommend the RD50 which looks the same but has FM and DAB digital (if you're in a digital area, that is).

garp
26th May 2008, 11:46
Thanks for the replies. It is indeed the DAB version that I fancy. Tx.

G-CPTN
26th May 2008, 11:56
Why are DAB radios so expensive?

DBisDogOne
26th May 2008, 12:09
G-CPTN: Probably because the take-up of DAB (unlike digital TV) has been alot poorer than expected and so the economies of scale for producing cheap kit haven't kicked in yet. (I've heard the term DAB - Dead And Buried- banded around, though thats a bit harsh). Personally, I like it, much more choice.

Loose rivets
26th May 2008, 17:36
One was relegated to changing the cord that hauls the needle across the dial on sets like that....mind you, mine was the era of HT and LT batteries.

I recalled testing an HT battery with me tonge...DON'T. That's why I remember it 58 years later.

I was thinking of 67 1/2 volts. Don't know why, but there, in the Mail on Saturday I think it was, was a complete explanation about valve radio batteries. Even the Bios ones, with the negative bit. 67 1/2 v was there, some 24 hours after thinking about it after all those years. Strange:uhoh:

niknak
26th May 2008, 19:19
DAB digital radios have dropped significantly in price.
If you know that you live in a area of strong reception (Google to find out), don't bother wasting money on the above. You can get a DAB radio which will serve your purposes more than adequately for around 25 from Asda or Tesco, or even less on Ebay.
It's only worth spending more if you're in an area of weaker reception but then you've got to ask yourself if it's worth splashing out 100 or more now, or waiting 9 months for improved reception by which time prices of the more expensive sets will have come down even more.

The other thing to bear in mind is that if you can get broadband on your computer you can listen to almost any radio station in the world, the quality isn't as good as DAB but equally as good as VHF.
Also, if you can get Freeview on your TV, you can listen to the majority of National UK radio stations.
With a little ingenuity, you can set up speakers in any room you want.

frostbite
26th May 2008, 20:01
There is still a lot of muttering about the wrong digital transmission system having been chosen and that it will have to be changed sooner rather than later.

If so, there will be a lot of very unhappy DAB radio owners.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
26th May 2008, 20:59
VHF quality is better than DAB! DAB uses lots of compression to squeeze more channels into the bandwidth so quality suffers. It is also very power-hungry. You're talking 90 (yes 90!) times the power consumption for DAB - so don't even think 'battery portable' unless you have Duracell shares.

Digital TV is a con by Gordon Brown so he can sell off the UHF freqs so he can pi55 even more money up the wall. I suspect DAB is the beggining of the same for the VHF freqs.:rolleyes:

frostbite
26th May 2008, 21:49
Think you're right there, Mr Shaggy!

Reckon Gordon still has wet dreams about the bonanza that came his way from the 3G auction and he reckons he can do it again.

Beatriz Fontana
27th May 2008, 19:12
It's all those pointless data streams that radio stations squish in to DAB frequency that fouls up the quality. Why bother? I listen to the radio, not watch the thing!