PDA

View Full Version : LBIA emergency Friday evening

deanofs
25th May 2008, 10:01
Does anyone know what the story is about the Jet2 flight that required 12 fire appliances from around Leeds/Bradford to attend ?

Seems odd to me that they needed other fire cover from non avaiation fire appliances ?

Link to story here :
http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/newsindex/display.var.2294952.0.passengers_evacuated_at_airport.php

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
25th May 2008, 11:26
It is a perfectly normal procedure for outside Fire Services to attend for certain categories of emergency. That applies even at major airports such as Heathrow.

ClintonBaptiste
25th May 2008, 12:11
Another typical bit of press! I'm not a fan of Jet 2, but the smoke was as a result of a hydraulic pipe which leaked onto hot brakes!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
25th May 2008, 12:34
A hydraulic problem constitutes the type of emergency for which outside safety services would attend at major airports.

BYALPHAINDIA
25th May 2008, 22:05
The Airport FS has a West Yorkshire Fire Call Sign - although it is not part of West Yorkshire Fire Service.

All emergencies are attended by West Yorkshire Fire Service, And depending on the Aircraft size, Depends on the number of appliances.

True, I also think 12 appliances plus 2 special units was a bit OTT??

I would have thought maybe 6 would have been enough.

LBA has 4 large FF appliances itself, Which can pump water at phenomenal rates, Compared to the WY appliances.

The modern Airport FF appliances are state of the art kit.

WY FS has an agreement with LBA, That if there was an incident around the airports perimeter/roads, Then the Airport FS would attend first, This being the locality.

The Airport FS & WY FS have regular training sessions together.