PDA

View Full Version : New Idea For Eurovision

Lafyar Cokov
25th May 2008, 09:43
Couldn't we save a huge amount of effort, time and money on The Eurovision Song Contest each year if we just abolished the songs and started with the voting?? Surely that would achieve the same result and it would take half the time and we wouldn't have to worry about selecting entries etc!!!!

barry lloyd
25th May 2008, 10:44
The answer's simple. Just split it into two sections - western Europe and eastern Europe. Let the western Europe section be televised in western Europe (but not eastern Europe), and vice-versa. That way, we've always got a couple of eccentric entrants good for a larf - Spain, Finland, Ireland etc., and the voting is more balanced. Of course, the Scanwegians will vote for each other, but then they always did.
The eastern Europe section can fight it out amongst themselves, but the voting levels (ie the money from the phone-in) will be so low that they could probably only sustain it for a year or two, because as I understand it, each country has to bear a portion of the broadcast costs. I just can't see the average Bosnian or Slovakian wasting their money on phone voting somehow.

ATNotts
25th May 2008, 10:59
How on earth can "countries" like San Marino and Andorra (the former smaller than your average small town in UK) possibly have the same voting weight as, say Russia?

To help balance out the televoting fiasco surely it would be possible to weight the effect of the 12 points, and the rest, according to each countrys population. So, if for example you used Russia, with the largest population as the benchmark - their 12 points would equal 12 points. The other larger countries in Europe (UK, Germany, France etc) would have their 12 points worth, say 8, and the smaller countries (the fragments of Yugoslavia and some of the former USSR states) perhaps worth only 3? That would mean that if Montenegro, Bosnia, Croatia and Slovenia each gave their national "12" to Serbia, as I think they did last night - this would equate to 12 weighted points in total, rather than 48.

Complicated - yes, but unless something like this is done, nations like Germany and UK, that came joint last, alongside Poland, will decide that financing the whole circus is a was of money and time - which in many ways would be a shame; as whatever you think of the voting, and some of the absolute rubbish that is served up as music, the show is good entertainment - certainly better that some of the reality junk that is served up in UK on Saturday nights.

Just one more thing, Rip Off Britain was alive and well again yesterday. Cost of voting in UK - 15 pence per minute - Germany, 14 cents!!

Parapunter
25th May 2008, 11:18
I have an idea. Why don't we blow into the next century. It's execrable, the music is pathetic, the whole thing is a laughable political football & it hasn't produced a decent song in thirty years. It is, in short, a mirror image of the EU, except I don't recall Russia being in Europe or Israel for that matter & they won it with a chick with a dick.

Avitor
25th May 2008, 11:28
For ten years, this country was run? by a person who thought he was King of the World.
Let's hope his quest for the position as EU President (his proposal) gets the same response... Nil Points.
He will need it when Bush steps down. Blair thinks ahead, for himself.
Ps Brown has to stay in Number 10, his vote will be vital, for the pair of them......and England will be history.

barry lloyd
25th May 2008, 11:32
I don't recall Russia being in Europe

OK, so where would you put it, geographically speaking? In Asia? Africa?

Since this is nominally an aviation forum, it's worth considering the standard flying distances from London to say, Athens (which is definitely in Europe, even though it has a funny alphabet), and Moscow, which also has a funny alphabet. Give or take 50 clicks the distances are the same.

Parapunter
25th May 2008, 11:43
That logic would put Tenerife in Africa, or Liverpool in Wales, which would cheer me up really.

selfloadingcargo
25th May 2008, 11:53
Hummmmmmm........ France, Germany, Spain and the UK provide the vast bulk of the funding. Without their contributions, the thing couldn't happen.

Because of the political nature of the voting, the UK, Germany and France never get even in the top half any more, and even Spain struggles.

Hard to see what any of these four get out of it.

So let's stop paying and do something more interesting with the money.

BBE777
25th May 2008, 12:03
This is not a serious game anymore... (hum was it before..:confused:)
but anyway as this is not "in the pursuit of talent" any more then just have a laugh! specially with Spain and Ireland hehe...

(of course I wont waist my money, theres enough retards doing it, no offence, but would you?) lets remember that you are always free to do whatever you want :ok:

barry lloyd
25th May 2008, 12:04
I think it's generally accepted that Russia west of the Urals is on the European continent.

That's my understanding too. Thanks for the intelligent answer.:ok:

Tempsford
25th May 2008, 12:09
Same every year with nepotism in voting.

Quite right, the songs are irrelevant now and it is farcial. Well said Sir Terry Wogan with your comments at the end of the programme. Mrs T and I don't bother watching the 'musical performances' any more.

We watch the voting only and when a country votes, we guess before hand where the votes will be cast. Well blow me down every year we are pretty close. All you do is check on the geographical location, the political situation and who can't stand who. It is really very easy and gives some misguided countries the opportunity to express themsleves politically, because god knows, they can't do it any where else!

Please Sir Terry, do not do it again, walk away. Do not put yourself through this crap ever again. It just isn't worth it. It would appear that Wogan is in trouble with the organisers for his comments which are seen by the organisers as negative. I see them as Sirt Terry speaking the truth and expressing the opinion of possibly a very large number of people.

The only reason they want the Western Europeans involved is for their money. The BBC (ie the Licence Payer -us) should not suppport this platform to express political and in the case of last night I suspect in some cases racial views as there weren't that many coloured performers in this guise of a music competition .

It hasn't been a music competition for years and it is high time that we stopped supporting it. It isn't a case of if it upsets you, dont watch it, it is a case of yes it annoys me and yes we should withdraw our support and our money. Then lets see how long this absolute garabage continues.

Rant over, feels much better and gets off soap box.

Mr T

eastern wiseguy
25th May 2008, 12:55
All you do is check on the geographical location, the political situation and who can't stand who. It is really very easy and gives some misguided countries the opportunity to express themsleves politically, because god knows, they can't do it any where else!

Couldn't agree more. Mrs EW and I are involved in a three way phone call with relatives in Holland and the US(step daughter watching on internet) during the show. The conversation used to be about the standard of songs,the general"campness" of the whole thing and the political voting. I have to say that it has worn thin. The irish example was a classic two fingers to the whole incestuous mess(sorry gobonastick you are wrong:}) I feel that the turkey had it correct. It is time to leave them all to it.

Blacksheep
25th May 2008, 13:40
If all these eastern european countries are so fond of their Russian connections, one can't help but wonder WTF they are all doing joining the EU?

If I was a conspiracy theorist, I'd be suspicious. The Eurovision voting records are suggestive of a covert continuation of the Warsaw Pact. The long feared red invasion may be under way, but without the tanks.

S'land
25th May 2008, 13:41
Have not watched it for over twenty years as it does not produce either reasonably music or entertainment. It is obvious that the more countries are involved, the more political the voting. I just wish that the whole silly business would stop.

Blacksheep
25th May 2008, 13:48
I just wish that the whole silly business would stop.Television? I'll vote for that!

Evening Star
25th May 2008, 14:50
Couldn't we save a huge amount of effort, time and money on The Eurovision Song Contest each year if we just abolished the songs and started with the voting??

Even Mrs ES agrees with that, despite her wasting 15p on a vote for Russia because it is Russia.:ugh: However, she sort of looked blankly at me when I told her that years ago the outcome was unpredictable.

Quite right, the songs are irrelevant now and it is farcial. Well said Sir Terry Wogan with your comments at the end of the programme.

Please Sir Terry, do not do it again, walk away. Do not put yourself through this crap ever again. It just isn't worth it. It would appear that Wogan is in trouble with the organisers for his comments which are seen by the organisers as negative. I see them as Sirt Terry speaking the truth and expressing the opinion of possibly a very large number of people.

Totally agree.:ok: In a way, I hope there is a fuss about Sir Terry's comments because in his own polite way he so spoke the truth.

I think it's generally accepted that Russia west of the Urals is on the European continent.

Had better be or I am in trouble...

corsair
25th May 2008, 15:33
Part of the problem, I think, is leaving the vote to the public. The public is incapable of voting for talent, because they think it's more of a laugh to vote for a stupid underdog act.

Would anyone ever buy a CD of the idiotic Irish sock-puppet song for pleasurable listening? It wasn't even a decent attempt at being a novelty entry, just a pathetic piece of irritating cack that looked as cheap as it sounded.

So naturally it was chosen to represent the country. How clever.

I think you have missed the point completely. We Irish sent Dustin as a send up of the whole contest. We no longer take it seriously. Because for the last few years, just like GB we were languishing down at the bottom of the voting order. Like Sir Terry we figured out that nothing we would produce was going to win no matter how good it was. It was supposed to be a pathetic irritating piece of cack. But, you know something it was better than some of the irritating cack we heard in the contest. The whole Eurovision experience was mostly a talent free zone. As it proved.

It was amusing after Ireland was knocked out of the semi finals to hear all the tongue in cheek interviews given on RTE news. 'How disappointed they all were.' Poor Dustin was devastated!:) GB would have suffered the same fate if it wasn't for the fact that it's guaranteed a place in the final for various reasons. As it is GB would have been completely last with six points, if it wasn't for the fact that the Irish gave them some votes. Even that was political voting for your neighbour. We gave 12 points to Lativia. Qute a lot of Latvians live in Ireland surprise, surprise?

Whatever Eurovison had once is now long gone in a welter of political voting and ghastly Europop.

SpringHeeledJack
25th May 2008, 15:49
Would anyone ever buy a CD of the idiotic Irish sock-puppet song for pleasurable listening? It wasn't even a decent attempt at being a novelty entry, just a pathetic piece of irritating cack that looked as cheap as it sounded.

So naturally it was chosen to represent the country. How clever.

As someone who's grandmother knew someone who's brother was partial to a pint of Guiness, I find that remark both condescending and racist :hmm::*

However, the reason that the Irish entry was such a pathetic piece of irritating cack that looked as cheap as it sounded was because it was deliberate. Having won said competitions more times than is reasonable in the last 2 decades, it was decided that the costs of hosting this 'funfest' (should Ireland win) was too much to bear on the poor old RTE (Irish BBC) and so an entry was put forward that only a fool or a champion ironist would have loved ;)

I think that the only way to appreciate this 'competition' is with a group of friends, some drinks and eats and an attitude of sillyness and fun. Even our neighbours ze Germans have cottoned on......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3q7Y3fgTIc

You can't take it seriously and i imagine that most of the acts will go back to working on cruise ships/clubs/birthday parties after the 'show' is over. It is what it is and i don't imagine that it will be changing it's format anytime soon. Rather like the pantomime industry, everyone knows what's coming, yet they get into it all the same. "Oh yes they do! Oh no th........" :}

Regards

SHJ

Foss
25th May 2008, 15:54
Corsair
We have to hang our heads in shame. Dana was upset that Dustin the turkey got put forward, it lowered the level or something, I couldn't bear to read the rest. Danny Logan wasn't happy either. :ugh:
(Irish Eurovision winners from years I-don't-care if anyone doesn't know who they are)

I could only stick 10 minutes of it, right it must be over soon it's been all for ages. Then looked at the tv schedule, 'An HOUR, this is on for another HOUR?'
At least the dog got a walk.
Fos

Beatriz Fontana
25th May 2008, 15:54
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that Israel used to be a regular entrant, and that country is certainly not part of Europe!!

Parapunter
25th May 2008, 16:36
Er, I did, still, nice to see you've read through!:E

corsair
26th May 2008, 21:54
We have to hang our heads in shame. Dana was upset that Dustin the turkey got put forward, it lowered the level or something, I couldn't bear to read the rest. Danny Logan wasn't happy either.
(Irish Eurovision winners from years I-don't-care if anyone doesn't know who they are)

Dana was most upset, the poor wee dear. I almost felt ashamed to upset her so. But I didn't and I laughed like a drain every time I heard Dustin err...... sing. But he was still better than the the previous two entries.

Hopefully we will lower the standard again next year. I have in mind a very camp drag act. We could get Lily Savage, Danny La Rue and Mr Pussy together. This could work in our favour as the there is a huge gay following for Eurovision.

er340790
26th May 2008, 22:09
"Ja, ja, baby. Das ist good!"