PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 JAA-FCL to ATCO medical

Bamboozle Woozle
25th May 2008, 07:34
Hi all,

Im currently going through my NATS ATCO selection at the mo, with my stage 3 next week. I currently hold a class 1 JAA-FCL licence, having done my initial down at Gatwick 2 1/2 years ago.

My question is, do I have to go back and do an initial Class 1 ATCO medical (at Gatwick or Swanwick I believe and have the full poking and prodding), or can I simply do a renewal with my local AME?

Many Thanks in advance!

BW

AMEandPPL
25th May 2008, 12:18
This is a slightly awkward one, and you'd actually be well advised to phone the CAA at Gatwick initially to see how they would look at your needs. On the face of it, if you have a JAR class 1 then it is pretty safe to assume that you should also be deemed fit for a UK class 1 certificate, which is what is required for ATCO's. It's the change between the two systems which creates what just might be a problem.
If you had a JAR flying licence, and your JAR class 1 has only been expired for eighteen months, then all you have to do ro renew it is have a medical with your friendly local AME - problem solved !
But ATCO medicals are still under the old ( pre-JAR, pre-1999) medical system, and one of the things shared with the JAR system is that the INITIAL issue of an ATCO class one needs to be done by the CAA medical dept at LGW.
One has to hope that in a situation like this common sense just might prevail, but one can never assume that with the CAA, which is why I'm advising a phone call to check what you need to do, and where it could be done.
Good luck anyway ! !

AMEandPPL
27th May 2008, 22:56
Got an e-mail literally today, telling us that from July 18 2008 the medical required by ATCO's will no longer be the old UK class 1, but a new European class 3. Can't tell you much more than that at present.
The advice to phone the CAA and ask for advice as an individual still holds good !

Bamboozle Woozle
28th May 2008, 09:59
Hey AMEand PPL, Thanks for that, i'll try giving them a call - cheers!;)