PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Jones

Rollingthunder
24th May 2008, 15:48
Any reviews from those who have seen it?

To its credit, it's reported to be less CGI and more real action stuff.

pigboat
24th May 2008, 16:03
Didja watch 'The Immortal Beaver' on the History Channel the other night? Harrison Ford did some of the narration. :ok:

Lydia Dustbin
24th May 2008, 16:03
For any movie reviews try imdb.com

It has currently scored very high in the reviews, but there are are lovies out there who score it 1/10, as they are concerned with scripting and plot etc. Most seem to give it 8-10/10, saying it is just pure indiana fun and adventure. If you treat it as the later it seems you will love it, if you are a film buff critic type, it seems it won;t be much fun. I am definitely of the 'have fun types' with these movies. Enjoy:ok:

pigboat
24th May 2008, 16:06
but there are are lovies out there who score it 1/10...
Probably the same group that thought "The Day After Tomorrow" was a documentary.

Lydia Dustbin
24th May 2008, 16:09
Ha Ha ...Exactly!:D:D

Rollingthunder
24th May 2008, 16:17
Yep,saw "The Immortal Beaver". Harrison has a beautiful example. Still pissed off with the management type who cancelled the production of the turbo after 60 aircraft. I understand Viking Air might be producing brand new ones (not converted from rescues).

con-pilot
24th May 2008, 16:23
Mrs. C-P and I are going to see the movie tomorrow. (We go to the showing of extremely popular movies at the first opening on Sunday mornings, there is never a crowd.) So I will be happy to give a review of said movie tomorrow afternoon. :ok:

tony draper
24th May 2008, 17:12
I'll review it when it is shown ont telly,catch me paying good money ter see it int cinema you will not.:rolleyes:
Prolly be a pirate DVD of it doing the rounds here next week anyway.:uhoh:

Wino
24th May 2008, 17:17
Loved it.
So did my 6 year old son.

Also loved Iron Man.

Been a good year so far...

Cheers
Wino

con-pilot
24th May 2008, 17:43
I'll review it when it is shown ont telly,catch me paying good money ter see it int cinema you will not.

Mr. D, another reason to go on the first showing on Sunday morning, the tickets are only $4.00 USD a person. A couple of Pounds each. :ok:

Been a good year so far...

Glad to hear it, good to see you again. :ok:

CityofFlight
24th May 2008, 17:58
:eek: Because of your post, Rolling Thunder...and after my morning Java, I realized that Immortal Beaver was a reference to his aircraft. :p

(naughty girl)

pigboat
24th May 2008, 21:18
Harrison has a beautiful example. Still pissed off with the management type who cancelled the production of the turbo after 60 aircraft.

Yeah, George Neil didn't beat around in the bush - take that CityofFlight. :p Came right out and said "The head honcho of Hawker figured it was time to build big airplanes." The Beaver is still around and going strong. I wonder where Hawker Siddley went? :E

tinpis
24th May 2008, 21:22
Nah....I like the nobs and the chug.... chug (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOvOJxKH81Q&feature=related)....chug :*

http://www.vikingair.com/uploadedImages/Aircraft_Info/img_turbo3.jpg

redsnail
24th May 2008, 21:49
That's a Beaver??? Fugginell!!

We saw Iron Man the other day. I thought that it was going to be about the surf life saving competitions but unfortunately, it was some movie.

It wasn't a bad movie. CGI wasn't obtrusive, plot good and just enough humour to kick it along. We enjoyed it and there's probably going to be a sequel. :D

tinpis
24th May 2008, 22:05
The speed a beaver travels the NAV page would have a one mile scale :hmm:

pigboat
25th May 2008, 03:09
Reddo I believe that's a turbo Beaver that was modified for the Alaska Fish & Wildlife Department. It's on this website (http://www.dhc-2.com/current_cover_page.htm) somewhere.

Avtrician
25th May 2008, 03:36
I saw the mew Indy movie on friday. twas excellent, follows the same vein of the previous movies very well. Bugger me smilies is not workin again

kookabat
25th May 2008, 07:23
Aliens in Indiana Jones?? ALIENS??? :confused:

BDiONU
25th May 2008, 07:37
I generally use Rotten Tomatoes (http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/indiana_jones_4/) and its giving 78%

BD

Polikarpov
25th May 2008, 08:01
Saw it tonight and thought it was terrible.

Shame, as Ford has still got it as Indy - age was not one of the problems.

I blame George Lucas, after all he wrecked Star Wars with the revisit!

TURIN
25th May 2008, 12:39
Watched it last night. (Paid for it too!) :O

Forget the plot and the plausibility of driving over a waterfall in a DUKW (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DUKW) and just accept it as escapist fun. You will enjoy. :ok:

If you are looking for something to tax the brain, look elsewhere.

Mr D, it'll be garbage on a pirate DVD, this film is all big set pieces and CGI mixed with full on action, don't waste your bandwidth. :)

Peter Fanelli
25th May 2008, 14:35
So did anyone else notice the piece of footage that is backwards in the movie?

(Not running backwards, mirror imaged)

F18Aviator
25th May 2008, 14:42
i thought it was a pretty average movie saw it earlier today, it was a pretty strange story line with the aliens and the tripple agent!! it still has the lame Indiana Jones violence with the repedative noise in the punchups coming 10minutes after the punch was thrown! also i dont get how indiana can be punched so many times and still have a perfect looking face!!! wats with that

im no film reviewer but its a 6/10 for me!:\

brickhistory
25th May 2008, 16:58
Is there a shortage of capitalization and punctuation in Australia?!

I think the world should be told!

If so, we can send in the fleet with literally boatloads of capitals and I'm sure my own USAF can airlift some punctuation if we can get landing rights along the way. (I remember being part of the Kosovo effort - "Please Mr. President, for the love of God, send us some vowels!" cried Mkzly from Bnckz being one telling note from back then.)

Maybe bring this up to the UN? On second thought, it would just be a Zionist and/or imperialist plot to dominate the developing world.

Some ancient rock stars can put on a global benefit for the poor Oz inmates?

Oh, the horror...............................

muppetofthenorth
25th May 2008, 17:15
Spielberg has said that if this one is well liked, they will make a 5th.

And for the record, I thought it was brilliant. Pure fantasy, utter twoddle of a plot, but great, great fun.

As it should be, frankly.

KiloDeltaYankee
25th May 2008, 17:16
Saw it last night was disappointed....it seemed to me like a second rate parody of an Indiana Jones movie.
4 out 10

Enjoyed the brief aircraft shots, F-86's flying by, a DC-3 and An-2.

KDY

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
25th May 2008, 17:19
It's absolute shite.

In fact it's so shite didn't actually have to see it to be able to say that.

Harrison Ford Harrison Ford Harrison is possibly a worse actor than David Carruso :yuk: out of 10 for me.

con-pilot
25th May 2008, 17:44
Ah, Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!, judging books by their covers again are we? :p

Evilbob
26th May 2008, 14:47
Saw it last night. To be honest I think that the biggest problem is that the trilogy set such a high standard, and #4 just isn't in the same league.

Otherwise not a bad film, liked the Gophers.

Binoculars
26th May 2008, 15:08
Mr Aaaarrrgghhh, can I trouble you to name your five favourite acting performances? I don't mean your sister Gertie in the high school production of Hamlet, nor am I suggesting we get into abstruse Slovakian productions (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

No, I mean readily accessible productions available to all and not just arthouse cinemas. Mr Ford seems to play himself remarkably well from my observation, rather like Mr Wayne and Mr Eastwood. A long road in fact from the worst actor imaginable, any nomination for which involves a certain amount of snobbery.

Here, I'll even give you something to work with, utterly unpretentious performances that left me gasping.

1. Meryl Streep, Sophie's Choice.
2. Billy Bob Thornton, Sling Blade
3. Dustin Hoffman, Midnight Cowboy
4. Rena Owen, Once Were Warriors
5. Marilyn Monroe, The Misfits

Plenty more but I don't want to bore anyone. :p

Oneil
28th May 2008, 09:11
Terrible Terrible Terrible- thats before I saw the spaceship taking off and then it just became shocking.

Don't get me wrong- I was an avid fan of the originals- I had really high hopes for this- I was left sorely dissapointed

selfloadingcargo
28th May 2008, 09:27
Sorry to say, but deeply disappointing. Always going to be tough to better No.3 in the series, but this didn't even get close.

aviate1138
28th May 2008, 09:44
It's only a movie.

However the crystal skull bit is a shame as it seems that they were all made using modern abrasive tools.

"The crystal skulls are a number of human skull models fashioned from blocks of clear or milky quartz crystal rock, claimed to be pre-Columbian Mesoamerican artifacts by their alleged finders. Contemporary mainstream scientific opinion is that the skulls are instead of 19th century or later European manufacture. None of the specimens made available for scientific study have been authenticated as pre-Columbian in origin."

Microscopic traces of carborundum [1893 patent] have been found.

"On February 28, 1893, Edward Goodrich Acheson (18561931) patented a method for making an industrial abrasive he called "Carborundum" or silicon carbide. On May 19, 1896, Edward Goodrich Acheson was also issued a patent for an electrical furnace used to produce carborundum."

George Lucas also made Howard the Duck!

redsnail
28th May 2008, 10:55
We saw it last night.

It's ok, maybe a 6-7/10 for it.

Yes, that fight where "Indy" gets biffed by that Russian bloke is a bit unbelievable. His face should have been pulped!

Yeah, the DUKW...

Cate Blanchet sounded like "Natasha" from the Wacky Races.

However, we knew it wasn't going to be an intellectual movie so it was ok.
Now, Kung Fu Panda looks brilliant. :E

reynoldsno1
29th May 2008, 00:49
Yep,saw "The Immortal Beaver". Harrison has a beautiful example
Jeez, I wondered what you guys were talking about there for a while...:hmm:

gr8shandini
29th May 2008, 01:33
I saw it last weekend. Give it about an 8/10. You have to remember what these films are meant to be in order to enjoy it properly. They're intended to replicate the spirit of the old 40's and 50's adventure serials but with an outlandish budget. So dubious plotlines, hoaky dialogue, complete disregard for foreign cultures, and heroes that don't get their hair mussed in a fight aren't just excusable, they're a requirement. And in the 50's these flicks were all about atomic bombs or space monsters, so Spielberg gave us both.

The only weak spot for me was Shia the Beef. He seems a little too Mickey Mouse Club to be Indy's sidekick. Better than Short Round, I guess. Oh yeah, and the fact that Cate Blanchet didn't get to change into a sexier outfit.

Um... lifting...
29th May 2008, 02:48
Saw it in Russian the other night. Impenetrable. Cinema moderately crowded though... popcorn stale.

Have the sense that it probably wouldn't have been any better in English. The Russian did give it the proper Cold War ambiance.