PDA

View Full Version : Hunter at Doha

l.garey
24th May 2008, 12:38
I visted Doha recently (2 May 2008) on my way from Geneva to Dubai by Qatar Airways. Just before landing on 34 I saw a Hunter on the West side, in a scrap yard. You can just see it on Google Earth, I found later. Anyone know its identity?
Also, on the East side of the N-S runway remote from the terminal was a 747SP in Amiriti Flight colours. Is it VP-BAT? The rudder was missing. Alongside was a Gulfstream ?IV.
Otherwise, a number of Cherokees and Senecas, Bell 212s and a new S92 for Gulf Helicopters.

kcain
24th May 2008, 13:06
I am currently in Doha and have not seen the Hunter to which you refer. However, I was here in 1978/79/80 and used to fly at the Qatar Flying Club. At that time there were several ex-RAF pilots flying Hunters for the Qatari Air Force and in fact these pilots had to pass the relevant written exams at the same as I did to get permission to fly here. In those days there was very little activity at the airport and the Flying Club had 4 Pipers. The Aeronautical College has quite a large number of aircraft now, which seem to spend their time between the main airport and the small field at Al Khor to the North.

l.garey
24th May 2008, 13:20
Thanks kcain, and welcome to the Forum. I am sure you will find lots to interest you.
The Hunter is in a scrap yard just before the threshold of 34. Desert camouflaged. If you are in Qatar maybe you can go and see it, and maybe take a photo.
The College had 7 PA28s and 2 Senecas when I was there. Lots of Bell 212s at Gulf helicopters.
I recently spent 4 years in the UAE and enjoyed searching the aviation relics there, especially at the Al Mahatta Museum in Sharjah.
Good to hear from you.

Brian Abraham
25th May 2008, 18:04
Just talked to a chap who worked Doha up until recent times and he says no Hunter there, which he is quite familiar with (has a bit of time in one) but says there is an old Strikemaster. Perhaps thats it?

Bigt
25th May 2008, 18:36
The google earth image appears to be a hunter.......does not look like a strikemaster

Compass Call
25th May 2008, 22:09
l. garey

I have asked David Griffin about this Hunter and it is Qatati Hunter QA-11(Qatari FGA Mk.78) ex N-219. It was w/o in 1977 and used as a training aid since then but now appears derilict.

Refer to his book or contact him for full details on this airframe.

I hope this is of some help:ok:

CC

Brian Abraham
26th May 2008, 05:52
Have decided I'd never get a job in photo interpretation. Had a look at Google Earth as well and see a shape that could possibly be an aircraft with what seemed to me to have only the right wing and did have a Hunter look about it. Certainly not Strikemaster anyway. Be interesting to see a photo. Had I known of it would have gone for a look when there 18 months ago.

TheChitterneFlyer
26th May 2008, 06:19
There is indeed a Hunter on the western side of the airport next to the airport road. The Strikemaster that you speak of is within the college engineering hangar being used as an airframe training aid. As for the college aircraft... there are ten Archers; three Seneca's and a recently acquired DA42.

TCF

Brian Abraham
26th May 2008, 08:44
Many thanks for solving the mystery TCF, so there is a Strikemaster. Although it was nearly 40 years ago that the friend was in a Hunter I was beginning to doubt his recognition skills.

Compass Call
26th May 2008, 11:20
TheChitterneFlyer

I have an interest in Strikemasters. Would it be possible for you to find out the country of origin & serial number of the Strikemaster in the engineering college please. If possible the construction number would be nice.

I don't recall the Qatar Air Force using Strikemasters. It must have been obtained purely as a training airframe.

Thanks in advance:ok:

CC

TheChitterneFlyer
26th May 2008, 19:16
I believe it's a Saudi Strikemaster; I'll check it out tomorrow morning.

I drive past the Hunter every morning on my way to the office. I'd get you a 'photo, but I suspect I'd end up in jail for taking 'snaps' of the airfield... the military base is just behind it and in the distance!

TCF

Compass Call
26th May 2008, 20:00
l. garey

David Griffin sent me a photo of the Hunter taken from an landing airliner. I will ask him if I can pass it on to you. I suspect that there will be no problem.

CC

l.garey
27th May 2008, 10:40
Thanks to all those who responded over the weekend. As I was away for a couple of days, things piled up. I am glad that no-one disputes that it was a Hunter I saw! And we now seem to know which one it is.

pax britanica
29th May 2008, 07:40
That brings back a few memories -l the Qatari air force had Hunters .I lived there in 1973 and they were a common sight. Played lie dice and drank with some of the pilots too, very interesting and amiable
characters ex RAF I imagine or seconded from
pb

TheChitterneFlyer
29th May 2008, 12:56
Compasscall; sorry mate, it's been a very busy couple of days and I forgot to go and take a peek in the hangar.

I'll try and remember on Sunday.

TCF