PDA

View Full Version : Local Food

Rollingthunder
23rd May 2008, 23:27
In other words trying to buy and eat food produced within 100 miles of where you are. I try but it's not easy to do. It means eating only foods in season and that can severely limit choices and can knock some foods right off the menu - Sicilian LaRosa olives or any olives for one are not grown here in the temperate rainforest.

I do note happily that more and more folks are planting victory gardens in back yards (more useful than flowers)and on allotments and there is nothing nicer than veggies plucked from your garden and hour before meals. Some allotments have 5 year waiting lists.

Whirlygig
23rd May 2008, 23:40
So... that'll be roast turkey for me, with turkey sandwiches, turkey curry and stir-fried turkey!!! No shortage of veg here but please don't anybody make me eat samphire.

Cheers

Whirls

Radar66
23rd May 2008, 23:41
FIRESTORM where are yoooooo hoooooo......? :O

He is a great advocater of local shops and produce and refuses point blank to set foot inside a supermarket unless he absolutely HAS to.... :)

Wholigan
24th May 2008, 01:34
So... that'll be roast turkey for me, with turkey sandwiches, turkey curry and stir-fried turkey!!!Bernard rules OK!!!!

(Except in Wroxham where "Roy" rules!!)

broadreach
24th May 2008, 02:38
So far:

three passionfruit, not much use for other than mixing with cachaca and lots of sugar.

a mix of maize, sunflowers and assorted seed grasses from the plant boxes under the cockatiel cage; eating the cockatiels might be more nourishing.

More seriously, if what RT is getting at is reducing the carbon footprint the food on one's table leaves, not easy, even here on the Tropic of Capricorn. I think we're in for some very severe ructions in food distribution.

Last August, on hols, I was buying readymade salads in Tescos, prepared the day before in Kenya and still cheaper than the newest solar powered hydroponic greenhouse technology available in Europe. Surely all the economics in that business are going through an upheaval. Imagine all the other businesses.

And, what with global warming, want some passionfruit seeds, RT?

BlueDiamond
24th May 2008, 02:55
... please don't anybody make me eat samphire.
You can EAT that stuff?? There's a gazillion acres of the stuff here in Oz and I had no idea it was edible! :uhoh:

Rollingthunder
24th May 2008, 03:11
"samphire" A favorite at Royal Family meals, I understand.

"want some passionfruit seeds, RT?"

Unfortunately one of those things that won't grow up here, but I do remember my first passionfruit soda at Whale Beach.

Solid Rust Twotter
24th May 2008, 08:26
No problem here. It's like the stuff grows on trees or something.

ShyTorque
24th May 2008, 09:27
Anyone here like some free veg?

My garden produces more than we can eat and I've had to resort to putting it in the compost heap. In truth, none of us likes grass clippings so we don't eat any of it.

oldshuck
24th May 2008, 09:34
Whirls samphire is great we got loads of it round here called poor mans asparagus.
And they do say it has the same effect as oysters !

Whirlygig
24th May 2008, 09:41
Indeed_you_can,_Bluey!! (http://uktv.co.uk/food/ingredient/aid/509472)

It's the pickled variety that is particularly revolting!! But not as bad as DULSE - the Ulster equivalent!!

Hey Wholi, I'm off to Roy's Variety Store just now! We have one in Dereham as well! Who said we weren't cosmopolitan in Norfolk!

But, in all seriousness, I believe in supporting the local farmer and food producers. There are farmers' markets aplenty here and I support them regularly. Certain foodstuffs are difficult to source locally; milk for example even though I have a dairy up the road! Many local bakers have now closed down. However, I live in an area where I rarely have to buy eggs - I get them for free!!

My_local_dairy! (http://www.norfolkfarmhouseicecream.co.uk/id2.html)

Cheers

Whirls

ShyTorque
24th May 2008, 09:49
Certain foodstuffs are difficult to source locally; milk for example even though I have a dairy up the road! Many local bakers have now closed down.

Whirls, is it because you've been looking in the wrong type of shop?... :rolleyes:

However, I live in an area where I rarely have to buy eggs - I get them for free!!

You been enticing them free-range hens onto your birdtable, gel? ;)

Wholigan
24th May 2008, 09:53
http://www.tournorfolk.co.uk/hoveton/roysT.jpg

http://www.roys.co.uk/images/history4.jpg

Now
http://www.broadsnet.co.uk/html/Images/roys.jpg

Whirlygig
24th May 2008, 10:00
Nah, Percy The Peacock wrecked it - landed on it, misjudged his centre of gravity with tail and took the whole thing down!

Thanks for the piccies Wholi - every second shop in Wroxham is a Roy's now!

Cheers

Whirls

oldshuck
24th May 2008, 11:09
The original Roys.
http://www.roys.co.uk/images/history2.jpg

Even I cant remember that far back.

Effluent Man
24th May 2008, 11:22
We call the village "Wroxham of Roy's " because of the way the whole place has been taken over by that firm.

Toffs always have had strange eating habits.Kidneys for breakfast etc,I must admit though to being partial to a bit of samphire myself.At least once each summer I cook locally caught lobster in thermidor sauce and serve with samphire and sauteed new season spuds.All well within territorial waters!

ZH875
24th May 2008, 12:26
Whirls samphire is great we got loads of it round here called poor mans asparagus.
And they do say it has the same effect as oysters !

Wow!, samphire makes you sick, I never knew that.:E

oldshuck
24th May 2008, 14:17
your oysters are not fresh if they do that

Whirlygig
24th May 2008, 14:21
Just returned from Swaaaafffham market where the fruit and veg was advertising "fresh, local asparagus". I selected a bundle and then noticed on the paper wrapping that it came from ........ Doncaster!! :}

Now. Local to Swaffham? I could accept anywhere in Norfolk as being local; maybe at a pinch Suffolk or even Lincolnshire but South Yorkshire??? That's stretching "local" a long way!

Didn't get any! Chap in a layby at near Little Fransham was selling asparagus for a pound!

Cheers

Whirls

BenThere
24th May 2008, 14:31
Parts of Florida are paradise for oyster lovers.

If you ever get to Panama City, FL, or thereabouts, there are a number of oyster shacks selling fresh, perfect, plump but not too, oysters at $3/dozen. They will be shucked in front of you by an old redneck with three fingers and four teeth.

Out the back door is a mountain of oyster shells that is hauled away once a week for use as a component in construction material to be mixed with concrete for road construction.

A series consisting of a cracker, Tabasco, horseradish, an Apalachicola oyster ice cold and freshly shucked, and a tall, cold beer make for a delightful afternoon.

Local food at its best.

Solid Rust Twotter
24th May 2008, 14:41
Bugger! The oyster lust has descended upon one now. Wouldn't be able to get me out of a place like that with a sharp stick, Ben...:ok:

Standard Noise
24th May 2008, 17:35
Nowt wrong wi Dulse, woman! It's fab, but only if it's been put in a wee paper bag.
Can't be doing with the eejits who sell it in placcy bags, bleurgh!

Aah, Roy's of Wroxham, takes me back to boating holidays on the manky Broads.

Beatriz Fontana
24th May 2008, 17:44
Oh..... Who mentioned oysters?? You've got me listing for them, too!

After a week back at home shopping in the local veg market I'm definitely going to try that when I'm back sarf. Grand idea and, as there's only me in the house, there'd be less waste, certainly less rotten packaging and, dare I say, I'd probably save myself a few bob as well.

Blacksheep
24th May 2008, 19:54
Mussels. Far superior to any other shellfish, including oysters. One never tires of them. Beer. Hot waffles and strong coffee for breakfast. Beer. Real Egg Banjos - crispy fried egg in Banja bread.

Did I mention Beer? Beer is liquid food. I shall need a new wardrobe after this assignment.

Norway was the strangest place where I existed on local food. They eat nothing but fish, but their cuisine disguises it as anything but fish. How very odd. :confused:

All this talk of shellfish - one must mention "Acres of Clams" in Seattle, along with fresh Pacific Salmon. One can tolerate all that King County rain for an acre of clams.

(Bearded or smooth... :E)

The SSK
24th May 2008, 20:28
When you live somewhere where they feed their chickens sump oil, hormones and dioxins, you develop a taste for stuff that's been trucked, shipped or flown in.

Doncaster asparagus, though, are they the grey ones?

G-CPTN
24th May 2008, 20:34
Had excellent white asparagus fetched from France by son's M-i-L last weekend. The stalks were about 5cm diameter . . . (and it was deliciously tender and 'melted' in the mouth).
Never had any that large before.

The SSK
24th May 2008, 20:42
I know them well.

Got bad news for you, G-CPTN, they weren't asparagus. You know those white horses from the Camargue?

G-CPTN
24th May 2008, 20:49
I was going to remark on the size comparison to such appendages (especially having been to son-in-law's Clydesdale event yesterday, where the young stallion was paraded and he could sense the dozen mares and fillies in the surrounding buildings and thought he was brought there to perform . . . )

Parapunter
24th May 2008, 20:57
Ah Roys of Wroxham, that takes me back! I must have been 12 or 13 on hols on the broads & my mum asked me if I noticed anything about ALL the shops. I thought I was seeing double! Roys this, Roys that, they certainly sowed that town up!

Just on the topic, we have family in Dublin, god bless them, they bring sausages, white & black pudding over each time they visit & I mean kilo's of the stuff - We dine on the best fry up's known to man thanks to them & the miracle of he modern freezer.

Farrell
24th May 2008, 21:09
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b140/quartermilefinal/tubbs.jpg

Firestorm
25th May 2008, 08:40
As Radar rightly says I am an advocate of local suppliers, and local produce, although the 2 don't always go hand in hand. In this part of the country, South Warwickshire, it is easy to find locally produced meat, and poultry, but vegetables are more of a challenge. That being the case I am growing my own, but in the mean time I use a really excellent greengrocer in town who is great value, and always has good produce, although not local. I detest Tesco, don't have much time for Sainsbury's, and will shop in Waitrose when I win the lottery.

In many respects there are few good reasons why we in the Britain wouldn't buy foreign produce. One of Britain's historic traditions is seafaring, and trading overseas, and importing all sorts of things from all over the Empire. We don't have much of a merchant fleet anymore, and much less of an Empire (most of it lives in Britain now), but being British we still have tradition!

I would say that all seafood and fish should be caught in British Waters, and freshly landed. There is no need to import foreign fish: it couldn't possibly be fresh enough. We collectively need to pressurise chippies nationwide to stop selling cod and haddock, and to start selling any of the other alternatives such as hake, and pollock which are present in much larger numbers, and will be considerably cheaper because of it. Did any of you watch River Cottage Goes Fishing? And the one about battery hens?

cats_five
25th May 2008, 09:34
1 for a pound of asparagus is very, very cheap! I buy mine at a local farm, they break the tough bits off the end of the stems and stand the bundles in water to keep them fresh. They also sell the touch bits for stock & soup.

Was given some white german asparagus last year (it worried the X-Ray operators at Frankfurt for a few moments!) and it wasn't a patch, partly because it wasn't very fresh.