PDA

View Full Version : What's afoot, Watson ?

PaperTiger
23rd May 2008, 22:20
A fourth severed foot (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/05/22/bc-severed-foot-richmond.html) has washed ashore on Canada's West coast.
Speculation ranges from tsunami 'detritus' to a mad serial killer on the loose.

What does the panel think is going on ?

ShyTorque
23rd May 2008, 22:29
Why are they doing DNA tests, to see if they are all from the same person?

Perhaps someone shot a pantomime horse?

NRU74
23rd May 2008, 22:29
I think it's a Yardie serial killer who is starting to kill again

ShyTorque
23rd May 2008, 22:37
This is full of coincidences. All size 12s. The RCMP has never seen anything like it in 12 years...

12 inches in a foot...spooky.

But there's only three feeties in a yardie.

tony draper
23rd May 2008, 22:38
Isn't there a place in Canadia called Headless Valley thusly named because lossa bodies sans noggins were discovered there once?
Apparently when bears devour one they tend to leave the head,rather like we leave the gowk from an apple, so bears were not suspected.
Remember reading about that once.
:uhoh:
Personelly one thinks twer the work of the Wedigo.
:rolleyes:

Whirlygig
23rd May 2008, 22:41
Another two feet and they'll never be able to fathom it out!

Cheers

Whirls

PaperTiger
23rd May 2008, 22:41
Yes, one theory is that the owners of the feet were devoured by some marine predator which spit out the sneaker avec pied as indigestible.

Or it's the local drug gangs' equivalent of kneecapping :eek:

Whirlygig
23rd May 2008, 22:46
But another 60 feet after that and they may start to piece together the links in the chain!

Cheers

Whirls

Now - someone has to mention a perch and we're onto the fish puns! Yippee! That'll keep ShyT, Dan and Bluey happy!!!

selfloadingcargo
23rd May 2008, 22:46
'This is diabolical, Holmes, what can it possibly mean?'

'It is simplicity itself, Watson. All we have to do is find a cruise liner with a defective running machine that causes the right foot to be severed above the ankle once the speed exceeds 12kph. Below that speed, the ankle would merely twist instead of sever. The victims, rather than admit to the vile perversion of 'jogging', choose to throw the severed limb overboard. I suggest that we immediately repair to Harbour Gate 7 in Vancouver, where a swift perusal of the trans-pacific shipping timetables tells me that that the Pacific Star, a vessel renowned for its 'fitness' equipment will shortly be docking. All we need to do is watch for a passenger disembarking with a pronounced limp and I think we will have them. Tell Lestrade to meet me there......'

'Incredible, Holmes'

'Elementary, Watson'

ShyTorque
23rd May 2008, 22:54
Fish puns? They're so...yesterday. It's all water under the bridge. I really don't think I'll be dancing to that tuna.

Dam!

Rollingthunder
23rd May 2008, 22:54
There is also the possibility they are from a float plane crash a number of months ago whose wreckage was never found. The tides and currents could have carried them to where they were found.

airfoilmod
23rd May 2008, 23:03
Of the Crocodile kicking Club?

v6g
23rd May 2008, 23:57
There's a lot of rumours going round Vancouver this afternoon.

There is also the possibility they are from a float plane crash a number of months ago whose wreckage was never found. The tides and currents could have carried them to where they were found.

- the wreckage was found, 4 of the occupants were not. I'd also like to remind people, that one of the relatives of the deceased of that accident frequents these forums in her brave and tireless quest for justice (she likes a good laugh but please keep it in mind when making gags)

chiglet
24th May 2008, 00:11
I see that RT has put his foot in it.... again....
I know, hat coat etc
watp,iktch

Salusa
24th May 2008, 00:19
Something is afoot and is certainly fishy.

I suggest we all take a step back until a professional can hop on to the scene and advise us of the next leg of the investigation.

BlueDiamond
24th May 2008, 02:44
Now - someone has to mention a perch and we're onto the fish puns! Yippee! That'll keep ShyT, Dan and Bluey happy!!!This is not the plaice for fish puns, Whirls.

The RCMP has never seen anything like it in 12 years...They're stumped for answers then ...

I'd also like to remind people, that one of the relatives of the deceased of that accident frequents these forums in her brave and tireless quest for justice (she likes a good laugh but please keep it in mind when making gags) Today 06:03Remind people?? We are supposed to be aware of this ... how?? I'm sure people here appreciate the idea behind your sentiments, v6g but there is absolutely no way for people to know about that (apart from your announcement). It is quite probable that there are relatives of people who died in MANY other accidents also reading these threads in search of clues. If such people take offence or become upset by anything they read here, that is a matter for them to deal with. It is certainly not reasonable to expect the members of a major forum to change their behaviour/style of writing to suit people who may or may not read their posts, and who may or may not take offence over what they see. Aviation accidents happen all the time and people often do make jokes about them.

I don't believe you have any right to ask people to "bear that in mind when making gags." We are not responsible for the emotions and feelings of others, and we can not be expected to know who is reading in here, or what they may or may not appreciate by way of humour.

... another 60 feet after that and they may start to piece together the links in the chain!
But not furlong, Whirls. That would take 660 of them.

corsair
24th May 2008, 08:21
I think he was joking bluey. Or have I put my foot in it again?

ORAC
24th May 2008, 08:37
A fourth severed foot has washed ashore on Canada's West coast. Victims of an arch-criminal perhaps?

henry crun
24th May 2008, 09:33
No one has answered the original question, "whats afoot ?"

It's that thing on the end of yer leg with 5 toes, or maybe more than 5 depending on yer ancestry.

BlueDiamond
24th May 2008, 10:38
What's afoot? It's a unit of poetic meter consisting of stressed and unstressed syllables in any of various set combinations. For example, an iambic foot has an unstressed followed by a stressed syllable. :E

seacue
24th May 2008, 12:34
No one has answered the original question, "whats afoot ?"

It's that thing on the end of yer leg with 5 toes, or maybe more than 5 depending on yer ancestry.Or fewer, depending on your life experience.

See my comments elsewhere about my friend "Nine-fingers Bill" and his nine-fingered father.

Foss
24th May 2008, 12:56
Probably belonged to an Athlete.

Sallyann1234
24th May 2008, 14:21
I think the whole story is a fibula.

S'land
24th May 2008, 14:38
12 inches isn't it?

Glamgirl
24th May 2008, 15:10
From the article (I can't do the quote thing):

"The latest foot was discovered on uninhabited Kirkland Island in the Fraser River on Thursday."

If the island is uninhabited, who found it?

Gg

Foss
24th May 2008, 16:27
Bigfoot

Fos

ShyTorque
24th May 2008, 21:32
Heather Mills is hopping mad about this, they're all right feet.

innuendo
17th Jun 2008, 05:09
It happened again, this is becoming ridiculous.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/06/16/bc-fifth-foot-found.html

kevmusic
17th Jun 2008, 07:23
Aaah! This explains Magee's 'footless halls'. He was Canadian, wasn't he? :}

Arm out the window
17th Jun 2008, 08:36
I'll go out on a limb and say it's the sharks' revenge for us cutting their fins off and chucking the rest of them back.

They should get a joint investigation going, and step lively about it.

tony draper
17th Jun 2008, 08:43
Isn't there a particular furrin Mafia that have established themselves in our lands in recent years that punishes transgressors by chopping off their feet.?I recall seeing this in a episode of The Shield.

kluge
17th Jun 2008, 10:26
Well it certainly cost him more than an arm and a leg :hmm:

innuendo
17th Jun 2008, 15:59
Well it is now up to five feet, can't quite fathom it out. :rolleyes:

eticket
17th Jun 2008, 16:43
When they come ashore do they become a 'pied ΰ terre'?

winglit
17th Jun 2008, 16:49
They're going to have to toe the line and nail this culprit or there will be heel to pay.

I know it sounds corny, but don't chilblane the fish. It's a bit callus. I gout it's anything sinister.

In my humple obunion

PaperTiger
17th Jun 2008, 17:41
Isn't there a particular furrin Mafia that have established themselves in our lands in recent years that punishes transgressors by chopping off their feet.?Yes, it's the Fuk Ching.

That's actually their name not my epithet, appropriate though it undoubtedly is.

Google is your friend.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
17th Jun 2008, 18:42
Mystery solved. Apparently there was a ship delivering a cargo of Acuras from Japan when some on them got washed overboard. It's ok though, the insurance has already paid for the missing Legends.

beat THAT one!

Rollingthunder
18th Jun 2008, 21:38
Another human foot is believed to have been discovered on a B.C. shore, the sixth such grisly discovery in the last ten months.

RCMP in Campbell River on Vancouver Island said a local woman strolling a beach found an Adidas sneaker this morning, containing what appears to be a man's foot.

“It's certainly suspicious,” Sergeant Mike Tresoor said in an interview.

“A lady walking on the beach alerted us to this. … It appears to be human remains. We haven't absolutely confirmed it – it will be confirmed through a pathologist.”

Brutal crime or bizarre coincidences?

It appears to be a man's right foot, size 10. The first four were also right feet.

Globe & Mail

G-CPTN
18th Jun 2008, 22:12
There's a waterway in East Angular called the Hundred Foot Drain.

tony draper
18th Jun 2008, 22:19
Hmmm,if the toes were webbed that would narrow down the search a lot,they just need look for who has gone missing in Sunderland.

PaperTiger
18th Jun 2008, 23:17
“It's certainly suspicious,” Sergeant Mike Tresoor said in an interview.Ah, obviously a man destined for higher rank. :hmm:

G-CPTN
18th Jun 2008, 23:22
There's also a Sixteen Foot Drain, a Twenty Foot Drain and a Forty Foot Drain I believe.

kluge
19th Jun 2008, 05:29
There's a pub in Sydney's Rocks district called "Philip's Foot".

Therefore the foot must be Philip's.

Track Coastal
19th Jun 2008, 07:17
A sixth has washed up today...
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/06/18/bc-sixth-foot-found.html

I just can't fathom what is afoot? I'll bet the perps are well heeled.:=

ArthurR
19th Jun 2008, 08:23
And its no good the victims bringing up charges, they haven't got a leg to stand on...:E

Track Coastal
19th Jun 2008, 08:52
I'll bet the Vancouver police are kicking their level of investigation up a notch, even if they are somewhat stumped. If its from a foreign vessel in International waters or the crime sourced to the US gulf islands, who'll foot the bill?

FLCH
19th Jun 2008, 09:01
The police found another foot buried in the sand about 6 feet down....a spokesman said this cannot go on for much longer as they already have one foot in the grave.....

Davaar
19th Jun 2008, 09:43
The evidence is there, Watson, but where is the pattern that links it? It is pathetically self-evident. Five feet? The iambic pentameter, most common metre in English verse. But "metre" is a variant on the native Imperial foot. The police must search for a monopolistic poetic cobbler of European immigrant origins who is seeking to assimilate into the English. That is the inescapable inference from his exclusive distribution in BRITISH Columbia. He is, I fancy, French, notoriously envious of their betters. His monopolistic niche is obvious, since he is sole source for the product. He has a Cartesian sense of humour, always first with his last.

tony draper
19th Jun 2008, 10:12
Hmmm, one notes they are all left feet,which suggests there could be a religious component to this mystery,one suggests they investigate that little known secret organisation The Soldiers of Luther.
PS, for those many pruners who only appear to read Comic Books,they do not work for Lex.

Davaar
20th Jun 2008, 18:17
SHOCK! HORROR! New Development in the Canadian Pedal-Pusher Puzzle. Not half an hour ago on Bank Street North, just past the Kilborn intersection, in the middle of the road, lay a single shoe, brown leather, good apparent condition, gentleman for the use of. This mystery shoe contained NO FOOT! The sinister (or dexterfoot, for it was a right hand, or foot, shoe) implications are blinding and terrifying. Not merely is a foot missing, but almost certainly a whole man, or woman with preternaturally large feet is missing with it. AND GET THIS! ..... no panic, not a word on radio or TV, no cops on Harleys, no Police sirens. Even PPRuNe laid on a news blackout. The Nation's Capital continues calmly. Gotta admire them.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
20th Jun 2008, 18:30
I saw a shoe in the road once near a railway bridge. When I went round the corner, I saw another. Realising what must've taken place, I picked up the second shoe and rushed back to where I had seen the first one. Fortunately it was still there and neither had been run over or scuffed much when they hit the ground. I was able to wear them for a year or so.

...and that's why you should never temporarily set anything on the roof of your car before you head off to work. :=

S'land
20th Jun 2008, 18:50
Apparently there are only five feet, not six. The last one was a hoax.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7462953.stm

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!:

What a pity nobody told Bill Gates that.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7465485.stm

tony draper
20th Jun 2008, 18:54
Dind't summat similar happen here a few years ago? bits of anatomy found about the place, hands and such,turned out to be some medical students larking about,they are wags aren't they.:E

Rollingthunder
9th Jul 2008, 07:28
Another foot in shoe has been found but not in British Columbia.

In Sweden.