PDA

View Full Version : To all SIA hopefulls...and SIA itself

New York Pilot
14th Jul 2001, 16:52
Gentleman,

While I may not be a local, I was the Indian American revengefully dejected by SIA approximately a year ago, 7-7-2000 exactly, at the tea party stage after I had already given up so much to immigrate to Singapore as a newly wed of a Singaporean. I went into the SIA screening process havng been a First & Second Officer on the B727, experience with 3 airlines, instructor on the Falcon 20 with Flight Safety International, 6,500 hours, ATP, etc. etc. etc. You can read all about the circumstances and the heavy handed policies of SIA recruitment where they will simply label someone as "will not fit in" for sharing a reluctant opinion within this forumn under "Thoughts from an almost SIA Pilot". SIA has always been of the opinion that they can do any thing they want and people will still want to fly for them.

I sit here a full year latter having risen to challenge now as a Pilot for a major U.S. passenger airline earning 3 times what SIA would have paid me without spending 1 full year in training to convert my licenses.

My advice to all of you as follows:

While SIA might do so many dirty deeds and is unworthy of the admiration that people have for it, let me tell you as a graduate of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, that even in the U.S. many many many people that I have know who obtained professional Pilot licenses and have never made the grade at an airline. It is a sad fact of life.

There is no dispute that SIA Pilot Recruitment is a joke but remember not to spend all your time fighting the system and saying SIA...please give us a chance. Instead spend a good deal of your time keeping your instrument scan in good shape, studying turbojet systems, and most of all preparing for a successful life as if you are not going to be taken in by SIA.

Only then you will you be successful for I know many people who where Pilots in great carriers such as Pan Am, Eastern, etc. that never again flew as professional Pilots when their carriers went under but some how still managed to feed their families, send their kids to college, etc. etc. etc.

That is something I highly doubt the 4 Pilots from my tea party interview would be capable of if just somehow SIA ever went under. Hey, you never know....

Good luck to all!!!

MadChinaman
14th Jul 2001, 17:05
Thanks New York Pilot.

I am moving on and just wanted to vent some steam and let the future local guys know how its going to be when they do their own flight training.

Cheers

crl
16th Jul 2001, 20:01
Hi NYPilot,
Good on you. Have always found it strange on how the selection process goes and told all my friends about what you had mentioned about getting prepared for NOT being accepted by SQ as the way to think and proceed on with their lives. Can't agree with you more about how bad life can be if things don't "work out" over here(probably gotta get hold of you man.....) .
Best regards,
CRL :)
Edited for typo...

[ 16 July 2001: Message edited by: crl ]

Slasher
17th Jul 2001, 16:38
NYP believe me when I tell you SIA did you a big favor by rejecting you. I spent 2 years with them. Instead of enjoying being with a civilised major US carrier as you are now youd be miserable and depressed with a bloodey oppresive company like SQ. And yeh the pay is indeed lousey. Peanuts.
And marrying a local doesnt get you in the door either. Without a shred of doubt they were probabley p!ssed about her not choosing to marry a member of the master race. Trust me NYP, thats their mentality.

New York Pilot
17th Jul 2001, 19:58
Yes, SIA did do me a big favor and its very scarry thinking that they have the mentality that I should have married the master race (so called "Ah Beng" mentality) and amazing how open prejudice can be in a society that has within its national pledge as one united people that justice and racial harmony be its goal regardless of race, religion, color or national origin.

Also, except for 1 or 2 very isolated incidents in 15 years, I have always been treated fairly in the United States regardless of my race, color or national origin. I have NEVER had to worry about not being upgraded because priority would be given to one race over another. It always been your competency and senioroty only. How is that for "SAFETY".

Looking back I can not believe I brought into all the HYPE and actually wanted to fly for SIA. Singapore "Ignorant" Airlines is under the opinion that no matter what they do, people will still want to fly for them. Somehow, I just don't feel that way.

a330
18th Jul 2001, 05:13
i do STRICTLY agree with NYP .. SQ sucks .... they just do whatever they want to do .. no oint unless you join them as a cadet or else ... don't even think about it unless someone is joining directly on their left seat vacancies.

regards,
a330 :)