PDA

View Full Version : Air Pacific Pilot Exodus

flying fijian
23rd May 2008, 15:57
Latest article in the Fiji Times citing FJ has lost 30% of its local pilot force in the last 3 years.It failed to mention about twice the number of expats who have cycled through in the same period.Finally TW and cohorts union busting policies have come back to haunt them.All they need now is for EK to fly through NAN.Last one out of Nasoso Road.....turn the lights out!!!

Nuffsenuff
23rd May 2008, 19:26
Word from mates in F1J1 is there's a pseudo-embargo by Air Pac in recruiting pilots from their subsid. True or not... who knows - obvious result. Pac Sun not able to get new recruits as flying schools not able to churn out numbers quick enuff - obvious result. Chicken or egg - jobs for pilots that are not there or pilots for job that are not there.

:suspect:

Cos Nuff said so.

mattyj
24th May 2008, 00:01
Rishworths..hello..Rishworths..that last bunch you conned into flying for us didn't work out..any chance of finding some more 737 (EFIS) rated captains and cos? Nah don't mention terms or conditions..just make something up like "internationally compeditive pay scales" or some crap like that..thanks.

Flight Detent
24th May 2008, 01:00
I'm certainly very glad I left them...back when they operated those leased QF 74s, though they were very nice airplanes.

Couldn't stand either FJ crewing practises or my Sydney based (do nothing regardless!) IAC contracters!

Cheers...FD...:yuk:

Nadibayhotel07
24th May 2008, 11:10
FJ would be a nice operation if it were not for all the wan&*rs on the 3rd floor. Route structure is good, cabin crew great, acft good, rostering - well not perfect but ok - we got the contractors to do the all night BNE returns while we took the HNL & YVR nightstops!
BUT I hear they have employed some HNL & LAX piolts, given them HNL & LAX bases so the only nightstop perk we had left has been screwed by those wan&*rs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cant see a man (or woman) staying any longer than they have too. Only the too old and ? will stay.
FJ mgt style is SHAFT SHAFT SHAFT - locals and contractors alike.
Look at it this way - life style job based in tropical island flying modern acft-
BUT WHY have 50plus contractors left in the past 3yrs?
AND 30 plus locals also left?
Its called FuK wit mgt.
Thank God Frank has seen whats happening.:ok:

SpaceNeedle
25th May 2008, 03:01
Heard from an aquaintance that Air Pacific offers through Rishworth part time flying worth $750 per duty day but minimum flying days are not guaranteed. Does anybody know how this works out.?..........probably good for those who wants a laid back life in the South Pacific. Vinaka!

tornspar
25th May 2008, 07:26
try 475 $ kiwi for Fo and 575$ kiwi per day for a capt.would be a great gig if u could afford it

hot tuna
25th May 2008, 21:04
SN,

Rishworth/IAC - Be very wary. The remuneration is $575 daily- 18 days duty per month, not paid for days off, or transit to/from nominated base . Contract pilot turn over extremely high, I wonder why ?

Hot Curry
27th May 2008, 09:30
Looks like there is a Fiji govt review of Air Pac about to begin. Also reviewing the shareholding with Qantas, very intresting.:ok:

hot tuna
27th May 2008, 21:02
Let me guess the outcome - Boot out all the expats.

Max Bear
28th May 2008, 02:13
What a F%^ked up place Air P is.
Why would anyone bother, pack your bags ozzies.
The Yarpies are taking over ,ozland needs you.
Forget about this south pacific nonsense.
GET OUT, GET OUT quick

Hot Curry
28th May 2008, 05:57
nah mate its boot out QF:ok: theres a new player about to enter the region

flying fijian
28th May 2008, 09:19
Yep.You boys might want to brush up on your arabic!

hot tuna
28th May 2008, 21:06
What's that for an EK interview.

Sal-e
29th May 2008, 18:24
We would love for you guys to join us in the Middle East. Not enough pacific boys out here. Put in those applications and let Air Pac management wallow in their greed and jealousies.

brassplate
31st May 2008, 00:55
quite a damning report. especially with this bit.

.."Shareholder equity increased from $149.3m to $161.8m and cashflow remained strong at $229m, an increase of $38.6m or 34 per cent versus the prior year.
Last week, interim Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama appointed a taskforce to look into the operations of Air Pacific because of what government said were complaints against the airline’s operations stemming from increasing complaints from the tourism sector, Air Pacific employees and the traveling public regarding deteriorating standards and performance of the national airline."...

profits up and pilots missing out on a slice of the pie. quite a common practice it seems nowadays.

Ali Sadikin
31st May 2008, 19:52
Hot Curry (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=250582)
Probationary PPRuNer

Looks like there is a Fiji govt review of Air Pac about to begin. Also reviewing the shareholding with Qantas, very intresting.:ok:

hot tunaLet me guess the outcome - Boot out all the expats.

Maybe a very good idea.......with QF and the OZ skygods in cohoots with corrupt bula chiefs, FJ has gone down the commode.

FJ needs a new beginning; close it down for sometime, restructure and rehire. Nisa moce!

Bulabandit
1st Jun 2008, 11:13
It is a sad day when you have to leave your HOME country and NATIONAL airline because of BAD management. It is even worse when that bad management is allowed to remain in control of the airline. Air Pacific has been profitable because it SCREWS its most valuable resource - the aircrew ie. BOTH pilots and Cabin crew. The public face of the airline is the cabin crew, yet they are paid a pittance - only 1/5th of what QF crew are paid. NOTE- QF own 46% of FJ and the MD (John Campbell) is from Qantas. Hence QF are in control. HOWEVER, the big FAT bonus is still paid to those FAT CATS.

Those FAT CATS will be working overtime to hide anything and everything that the Government Inquiry SHOULD KNOW. Perhaps Mahendra Chaudhry and his team would benefit from a few 'leads'. Send your contributions to;
Mahendra Chaudhry
Secretary General & Parliamentary Leader
Fiji Labour Party
P.O. Box 2162, Govt Bldg
Suva
Fax: +679 330 5317
email: [email protected]
web: www.flp.org.fj (http://www.flp.org.fj)

Don't restrict your contributions to financial activities. Include operational issues eg. breaches of regulations, poor communication to passengers - FJ always say "delay due to Operational issues" when the real cause was 'lack of pilots', or 'Management Fu*k up'.

The integrity of certain management pilots should also be brought to their attention., eg. a rwy excursion in LAX that was blamed on the Second Officer? or the Hot & high approach that ended in a go around - also blamed on the SO. Both occasions the SO was NOT in a driving seat.

A timely reminder of the court case where the 3 senior managers 'lied in court ..... and the judge now has FOC travel for life with FJ'

Its high time the boot is on the other foot.

Moce Vinaka

:ok:

Sal-e
1st Jun 2008, 13:58
This from another thread. Kinda seem to be the way nowadays for CEOs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuOg1nMzy3k

Worth seeing.

Nadibayhotel07
2nd Jun 2008, 13:23
What will be worse ?

The bumbling FAT QF GOOSE or the Home grown Kava?

Either way 'the Island in the Sky' will be no more than a puppet on a string.
Just have to decide whose tune they are dancing too.
:rolleyes:

Porkchopper
2nd Jun 2008, 20:22
Remember the big Fan Fare and Press release when the FAT GOOSE had the grand plan of going to Canberra?

I remember all the Aussie contractors saying they NEVER saw any advertising etc for the Air Pac Canberra - Nadi flts. Needless to say, AIR PAC LOST $3.0m then withdrew the service very very quietly. Just another example of the 'greatness' of the Qantas fool.

More brains and commercial wisdom in Eds bar on a Monday night - thats the night its CLOSED!:8:E

Going Boeing
3rd Jun 2008, 03:11
It rather looks as thou the QF influence in FJ is about to end

I'm not up to speed with the current politics at Air Pacific, but if QF was to be forced to give up their large share holding in Air Pac, they may be tempted to start flying in opposition. During the 80's and early 90's, Qantas transferred all the Fiji flights to Air Pac because of their lower staff costs (& QF's major share holding meant that some of the profits came back anyway) which meant that Air Pac had a near monopoly on the services. Times could get tough for them, if they have a strong competitor.

duckknocker
3rd Jun 2008, 18:25
rumour has it a major player from the middle earth is interested in the QF shares:confused:

Fijibitter
6th Jun 2008, 17:09
Remember the British sitcom 'Fawlty Towers' with John Cleese as 'Basil', Manuel, and the other fumbling/bumbling idiots ?
They would run Air Pac better than the brainless pidgons lead by the Fat Goose and the Monkeys. :}

What is that snake PH i l TON up to? Still hiding in SYD while he denys other local Fijians to live outside Fiji? just typical of the two face lying bas tar d he is.:*

Eastwest Loco
10th Jun 2008, 13:53
Can't wait to see the impact of Crapstar on Fiji.

It should be a little similar to their insertion into MCY. Local businesses went belly up all over the show as the well heeled went missing in droves to other destinations, as they did with HTI.

Currently FJ provides full cabin service at similar or lower prices to Pac Blue so can comfortably survive with their delightfully friendly and sometimes clumsy cabin service.

Even when it gets a little confused, you still smile as they are wonderful guys and girls.

Virgin inc. is surviving on media and marketing perception, as is JQ. The "book on line" therefore I have the cheapest deal perception is carrying them. It is most often a wrong perception online particularly with International, but also often with domestic. Good marketing overrides common sense in the majority of cases.

If FJ pulls loose or is cast off by QF, they will survive - PROVIDING they can maintain schedule and One World status. One foot wrong and they and Fiji will become an ignored shadow.

Best regards all

EWL

Ex QF
11th Jun 2008, 03:36
I always thought that QF could use NAN as a stopover to reach other US destinations such as Chicago, Orlando and Dallas – flying there now means stopping in LAX or SFO so it’s still one stop.

Using FJ to connect to NAN from ports other than where the QF flight originates would have worked OK? Eg QF –MEL-NAN- to wherever and have FJ connect at NAN from BNE & SYD?

Gee even JetStar could have done something different and done what they were ‘setup to do’ fly the leisure market say NAN to Vegas?

Not enough 1 and 2 star hotels in Fiji for the JetStar crowd – all of the resorts being constructed are 5 star – like the new resort at Momi Bay

This is off thread now but why wouldn’t JetStar fly to PPT first? Isn’t that point to point, leisure market? Why wouldn’t you give them NOU? And utilise the QF aircraft on the domestic market?

Eastwest Loco
11th Jun 2008, 12:28
Hi ex QF

You would have noted I am sure that PPT is a high end market. Very expensive on the ground as well as in the hotels of repute there. The demogrpahic JQ attracts, who would normally sit at home and poke steak knives through cornflake boxes because they like the noise it makes could not afford the on ground costs.

Likewise the regular PPT SLF will happily fly on the full service TN services, on the QF codeshare if they can at a reasonable price.

For a reference, check thr JQ HNL service - the MEL nonstop canned and an extra QF 763 added to the 3 out of SYD.

Why you ask??? Our passengers were avoid in and still are avoiding the JQ services like the plague.

The JQ product will work on some markets, but never on others - it's simply horses for courses.

Best regards

EWL

obie2
12th Jun 2008, 09:05
So look, tell me, EWL...and first, let me tell you straight up...I like your style!

But, are you anti anyone who flys low class as on, err, well, I guess anyone other than Qantas...or what?

Now me, I think all of Aussies domestic airlines are S..T, including Qantas, but you, you gotta sell their tickets. So how can you do that when you consider all of them, and their pax, a bunch of T..DS? :confused::confused:

duckknocker
24th Jun 2008, 16:31
mate kinda losing the plot here with what the original thread started off as lets stick to air pac bashing:)

Max Bear
30th Jun 2008, 11:19
Fijian friends think very long and hard before you venture down the V road.
Nice flying 777 ,3 LAs a month plus Perth means numb brain no life senario.
p.s how do fiji lads get interviews with ozzie companies(just curious)

duckknocker
30th Jun 2008, 13:09
maxy same as Oz and Kiwis getting interviews at Air Pac:ok:

reject
2nd Jul 2008, 22:34
mate!!!! red flags....how did u get in2 HK? did u sell ur women and fudge ur flt experience as u accuse others?? we do know many who came with so called experience only to never even cut the grade once put to task...hope u r not one of them....:=

Fijibitter
5th Jul 2008, 01:50
History confirms the FACT: Management ( or lack of QUALITY management) is what destroys airlines. NOT PILOTS.
Air Pacific will follow this Historical FACT.
The sooner the better. Only hope the management get burnt with the rubbish when they burn all the incriminating evidence - eg. Free travel for the Judge that 'found in the airlines favour' and then got free travel for life!

:=

duckknocker
5th Jul 2008, 19:23
hey redflag the day QF pull the plug will be the greatest thing that ever happens in Air Pac as FJ holds rights to fly out of Oz and NZ to west coast usa

cocoblue
7th Jul 2008, 00:37
Redflags "swap coconuts for hours"
VH-YES "need deckhands at the local lagoon"

Well guys if we could only be professional and objective like you both..we continue to aspire.

duckknocker
7th Jul 2008, 19:19
say that again cocoblue they both sound like disgruntled ozzies to me as for business plans EK will definately be interested in those 46% shares of QF especially when the good old commodore and his boys just been back from a happy holiday in Dubai sounds like better business sense getting into business with the Arabs oh did I mention that Dubai ports and aerospace are currently negotiating on buying out ports and airports as well. :ok:

DATEPALM
20th Jul 2008, 04:21
Hey DUCKKNOCKER it seems that these 2 clowns are a bit pissed at the good old island boys getting jobs where they have obviously failed to do so.its quite apparent that the talent and experience the FJ lads have is a bit more in demand then the ATPL's these blokes get from the corn flakes boxes,and the hours they get from vouchers in the daily papers.
HAPPY FLYING GUYS;)

chainsaw
20th Jul 2008, 05:00
Hey DUCKKNOCKER & DATEPALM,

Maybe you're right re the disgruntled Ozzies bit, but don't make mistakenly assume that ALL ozzies got their ATPLs out of Corn Flakes packets or their experience from vouchers out of a daily rag, because they didn't! :=

Having said that, you are right about the talent of the local lads. I had the very great pleasure of flying with them many moons ago, and most were really awesome operators! :D

But watch out if/when the sandmen come to town if they buy QFs 46% share! When that happens you guys make sure that you just stand back when the soap gets dropped in the shower, because if do bend down to pick it up, you may get well-and-truly shafted! :8

DATEPALM
20th Jul 2008, 10:30
WELCOME CHAINSAW:D

MATE the locals in FJ have been shafted for years,by QF and everyone else who cared to have a go,at least the SANDMEN have the courtesy to bring their OIL for lubricant !!

Raj Merlion
21st Jul 2008, 01:58
Duckknocker ..right on the $$$$$, sick of fellas from gafa land knocking the islanders whenever they fail to plunder the kitty. Touche!

soresore
21st Jul 2008, 06:29
actually the fiji govt committee has started the investigations into FJ they're asking all ex FJ employees for written submissions in regards to FJ:ok: c ya later QF

Flight Detent
22nd Jul 2008, 02:25
I'd like to be asked about my time in FJ, I'd probably tell 'em what happened!

But I won't hold my breath...

Cheers...FD...:}

pulseair
17th Aug 2008, 22:41
:)Howdee fellow aviators! My wish for you all is that NO ONE will lose their jobs and whatever airline company you work for won't close down. Its just pains me to see people losing their means of providing for their families needs and dashing their dreams. I've gone through that experience and WOULDN'T like/wish that anyone to go through it as well.

Wherever you are,"Have a safe and enjoyable career".

Regards,
P.:):ok:

Bulabandit
19th Aug 2008, 13:41
The facts abound - Air Pacific MANAGEMENT are NOT FIT and PROPER PERSONS.

They would not pass a litmus test anywhere for INTEGRITY. Its SHAFT SHAFT SHAFT. And in the meantime, we will shuffle the finances. The best scam they had was not booking hotel rooms until 2pm for pilots who flew all night and arrived at the hotel (TANOA) at 6am!!!!!!!!!!

But I hear on a fine day the poolside sunbeds did a roaring snore!

Dubai Dubai Dubai to yee all.

Nadibayhotel07
21st Aug 2008, 19:45
Bula Pulse,

There is ONE we ALL WISH would loose his JOB - Paris HILTON's uncle.

This imbecile has screwed pilots for years - yet somehow manages to survive himself. As they say - Sh!t floats to the top. We even heard him lie in court!
A cockroach has higher ethical standards than PH.

I will rejoice when the day comes that PH is grounded for ever.
AMEN

Porkchopper
22nd Aug 2008, 15:12
Hey Bula & Nadi, good to see you still keep an eye on monkey land. Tis bad days I hear.

Is it true PH tried sacking a pilot - I heard Training Capt - because he did a Go-Around. I thought it was FJ policy that GAs were acceptable with NO QUESTIONS asked - Was the case in my days 3 yrs ago.

What other bad news do you have of 'the Island in the Sky'?

Moce

pulseair
22nd Aug 2008, 21:43
Bula NBH07,

:)Good to hear from you again...as for your wish..all I can say is that..what goes around comes around...only time will tell....or "do unto others what you want to be done unto you", so to speak...Its only a matter of time, I am sure. Till then, have a safe flight.

Regards,
P.