PDA

View Full Version : The one policy that'd get your vote

jayemm
23rd May 2008, 15:09
The rant thread got me thinking: I'm sick of our government and its "we know what's best for you" control-freakery and sick of all the b$ll£cks promises and b%llsh*t that most politicians spout. :ugh:

It got me to thinking, what single policy would make me vote for a party no matter what all their other policies might be?

Example, if you say "Our party will cancel every single government IT project" I'd vote for it just on the basis of the £bns that would be saved.

Have you got one?

Scooby Don't
23rd May 2008, 15:14
The repeal of all Firearms Acts since 1968 (which means you'd still need a Firearms Certificate for pistols and rifles, and a Shotgun Certificate for smoothbores), followed by the repeal of the ban on hunting.

under_exposed
23rd May 2008, 15:40
Not sure how the government doing everything by hand will save money.

Davaar
23rd May 2008, 15:44
For one thing, they would do a great deal less.

jayemm
23rd May 2008, 15:50
Excellent, less Government. Good outcome. :D

Krystal n chips
23rd May 2008, 16:47
Erm, there's three actually

Re-Nationalise the Railways,

ditto the Utilities,

And get rid of the ID card scheme.

frostbite
23rd May 2008, 17:05
A commitment to get rid of all the stupid, oppressive and interfering legislation from the last decade.

Ozzy
23rd May 2008, 17:22
Stop paying the chav society to sit on their collective arses all day in free housing.

Reduce the size of the government by 75%.

Let the work force keep more of their money instead of stealing it from them.

Sorry, got carried away :E:E

Ozzy

'Chuffer' Dandridge
23rd May 2008, 17:48
One thing? More like four for now

Restrict immigration, we're full up!

Repeal the human 'rights' act.

Bring back common sense.

Have a decent public transport system, and then I would consider using it.

tony draper
23rd May 2008, 18:02
Need you ask?
Get out of that vile reeking corrupt EU,bring back hanging flogging and National Service,only allow Mk 4 Old Ladies to enter the Post Office on one designated day of the week:ok:
:rolleyes:

S'land
23rd May 2008, 18:10
Mr Dandridge, Sir.

I disagree, you have one policy that would automatically result in all of the others coming about, so you really only have one and not four.

Bring back common sense.

However, I would suggest that you do not hold your breath waiting for this policy to be adopted.

ukc_mike
23rd May 2008, 18:13
Join the euro.

Save me a fortune in bank charges.

James 1077
24th May 2008, 19:01
Decrease the size of government (both local and national) by 5% a year for the next 10 years.

By size I mean number of employees and total cost.

Tony Hirst
24th May 2008, 20:04
For the UK? An immutable written constitution. We need one badly to stop any further haemorrhaging of basic rights and to prevent abuse of powers by numerous authorities intended for other much more serious purposes. Such a constitution must secure the independence of the judiciary, legislative and executive to ensure any further crackpot notions can only be enacted if proved to be legal rather than illegal. Such a constitution must also ensure that the official secrets act is done away with for once an for all and there is no question that the individual accounts of people paid by the public purse are open to public scrutiny. One would hope that such a constitution would prevent the shifting of government responsibility and responsibility to Europe.

arcniz
24th May 2008, 20:19
Require that all layers and levels of government must account for the cost of nearly all their workers, working overhead, and non-capital expenditures as pure expense, rather than productive work, in calculation of the Gross Domestic Product.

The effect of this accounting methods change would be to push GDP growth, nearly everywhere, into the red. Valuing government as a burden would, in the main, give fairer recognition to the concept that government typically subtracts more value from society than it adds. Possibly it would also motivate more focus and effort toward true growth and prosperity, instead of the imaginary kind the self-serving pension-pandering paper-pushers worship.

Unfortunately a truer picture of national productivity and prosperity would also show how and why many of the world's economies are digging ever deeper holes for themselves through excessive spending on and by government, taxing the future to cover over the excesses of the present.

Flying Serpent
24th May 2008, 20:44
pass a law requiring MPs to answer YES/NO questions with a yes or no. Death penalty if they avoid.

FS

selfloadingcargo
24th May 2008, 20:48
'a return to common sense' gets my vote, and 'an immutable written constitution' has me running for the hills.

The two are mutually exclusive. The moment you put anything in writing, all you do is create more work for the lawyers and beget a succession of challenges from what one might call the 'loophole intelligentsia'. Intelligent they are not, but by cracky, they can spot a loophole at a thousand paces...

Written constitutions may seem to enhance freedom in theory, but in practice they almost always constrain and pervert it.

(nothing controversial there, surely?)

Fitter2
24th May 2008, 21:04
Not that we need more legislation, but:

A law requiring that the implementation of an EU 'directive' is to be the minimum standard actually applied in any other EU member state (and if that's too onerous, France will do).

LGS6753
25th May 2008, 09:36
Make Governments, MPs, Councillors and bureaucrats personally responsible for their actions.

Doors to Automatic
25th May 2008, 10:58
A return to common sense.

Treble the number of prison places and fill them, clearing the streets of every last ferral chav.

Public floggings for the likes of Swellings (Gary Newlove's killer) until they beg for mercy.

Get rid of the Criminal Rights Act

An end of the hatred of every decent tax-paying citizen. i.e. get rid of all the nasty fiines for putting bins out on the wrong day etc.

That would be a good start.

Beatriz Fontana
25th May 2008, 15:04
Federalise the UK into a nation of regions to lessen the power in Westminster. Introduce proportional representation to force the political parties to work together instead of the nonsensical Punch 'n' Judy farce that we currently have.

Oh, and give Wales and Scotland full independence. If they wish to run their own affairs, then great and off you go. Just don't expect a UK PM that's Scottish...

BillHicksRules
25th May 2008, 20:51
Mr Dandridge/S'land,

How does encouraging xenophobic, sexist, bigoted and discriminatory behaviour equal a return to common sense?

Cheers

BHR

Shaggy Sheep Driver
25th May 2008, 21:07
If it had to be one thing (I can think of loads!) it would be to repeal all the erosion of personal liberties this lot have introduced. Those liberties were hard-won, and once gone will be very difficult to get back.

Examples? Logging of all e-mail, phone calls and internet usage to be made available to the 'authorities'. More CCTV than any other country. Agreement with US that they can extradite any UK citizen to the US even if there is no evidence against them - the converse, by the way, does not apply. Legal and peaceful protests not allowed - police will sieze placards and lock up peaceful protesters, take their DNA, and then release them - so that's OK then, NOT!

All of this is particularly worrying when it's done by a morally vacuuous state, whose employees are not above selling the information to the highest bidder.

No other government in modern times has rescinded personal freedoms in the way this lot have. Anyone who will reverse that has my vote!

S'land
25th May 2008, 21:29
BillHicksRules:

My comment was not to encourage "xenophobic, sexist, bigoted and discriminatory behaviour" and I am sorry if it came across that way.

My comment really referred to a return to using common sense in politics. If
common sense was used more often most problems can be resolved or even avoided.

As I said, if my point came across badly I apologise. My only excuse is that i gave up smoking a week ago and seem to have lost a certain amount of concentration.

BlooMoo
25th May 2008, 21:39
How does encouraging xenophobic, sexist, bigoted and discriminatory behaviour equal a return to common sense?

Because you confuse 'common sense' with sense

Because you confuse 'border control' with xenophobia

Because you confuse 'bigoted' with opinionated

Because you confuse 'discriminatory' with discretion

Because you confuse 'equal' with proximity to your own individual prejudice

Because you you confuse 'common' with proximity to your own individual prejudice

Because you throw in 'sexist' for no reason but to try and add weight to your point...

BHR - 0/10 - must try harder. Sorry.

BlooMoo
25th May 2008, 21:51
You are a pussy S'land - shame on you...

BlooMoo
25th May 2008, 22:02
BHR
Because you confuse 'common sense' with sense

BlooMoo
25th May 2008, 22:04
BHR
Because you confuse 'border control' with xenophobia

BlooMoo
25th May 2008, 22:06
BHR
Because you confuse 'bigoted' with opinionated

BlooMoo
25th May 2008, 22:08
BHR
Because you confuse 'discriminatory' with discretion

BlooMoo
25th May 2008, 22:16
I give up for now mods - posting line by line to avoid censure is tedious...

S'land
25th May 2008, 22:21
You are probably right BLUE MOO. I shall go and have a glass of milk (in lieu of a cigarette) before retiring.

airship
25th May 2008, 22:29
I shall go and have a glass of milk (in lieu of a cigarette before retiring. I wish that France would also have a similar policy - I shall have to work for 41 years before retiring. :(

BillHicksRules
26th May 2008, 08:38
BlooMoo,

No confusion at all. I am quite clear on the differences you mention. I still mean what I said.

I understand what you were trying to say though.

Strict border control, unless you are white and Christian.

The discretion, to assist or employ only those with similar sexual organs, skin colour or religious persuasion as yourself.

Opinionated in so much as those who do not share your “values” is a terrorist, traitor etc, etc.

Cheers

BHR

CargoMatatu
26th May 2008, 08:50
Thug-culling! :} :ok::ok::ok:

BillHicksRules
26th May 2008, 12:22
Basil,

“Strict border control, unless you are white and Christian.
Stopping those who have contributed nothing coming in with their hands held out, working illegally or becoming criminals.”

Of course we have none of this kind of thing from those born here with non-tanned skins?

”The discretion, to assist or employ only those with similar sexual organs, skin colour or religious persuasion as yourself.
Freedom of choice and action under the law - perhaps you haven't noticed that some notable groups already 'assist or employ only those with similar sexual organs, skin colour or religious persuasion'.”

Yeah you are right, cleaning firms, food producing firm, farms, and construction industry firms. For another point any idea why?

”Opinionated in so much as those who do not share your “values” is a terrorist, traitor etc, etc.
Freedom to exclude those who bomb, knife, shoot and otherwise murder British subjects.”

Yet again none of those here before were there? We have no crime from those of pale skin whatsoever.

”Yes, Jock, I think you're beginning to get it.”

This statement makes my original point about those who feel they know that all the problems in the UK stem from those “not of English stock”.

Thanks for making my case so clearly for me.

Cheers

BHR

Binoculars
26th May 2008, 12:43
The usual suspects will love this one. The Queensland government is making it illegal to smoke in a car containing children. I kid you not.

Think about this; it means that when a parent needs a smoke he/she is going to have to stop the car, tell Junior to get out and run alongside the car until the smoke is finished. How does that add to road safety I ask?

er340790
26th May 2008, 14:23
Capital Punishment

Debtors Prisons

The Stocks

The Riot Act

Automatic transhipment to Australia for criminals

Scotland & Wales to be redesignated as RAF bombing ranges

New 100-year war with France..... no, make that Islamistan

Forced labour for life for all MPs / insurance salesmen / estate agents / lawyers

Ahhh, that was SOOOOOOOOOO therapeutic......

Thanks!

FlyMD
26th May 2008, 14:36
simple.... charge 1£ for every negative posting about the government on any internet forum anywhere... either the government revenue increases enough to subsidy my new swimming pool, or everybody is suddenly very happy with how things are run..

BillHicksRules
26th May 2008, 20:17
Binos,

"need a smoke"??
:ugh::ugh::ugh:

"Think about this; it means that when a parent needs a smoke he/she is going to have to stop the car, tell Junior to get out and run alongside the car until the smoke is finished. How does that add to road safety I ask? "

Or???

What is the other possible way to stay within the law?

Any guesses?

Cheers

BHR

p.s. Basil, "will not stand by silently whilst my country is invaded and ruined"

By? All those foreign workers coming over here doing the jobs the lazy scroungers here will not do? Have you seen the DSS budget for handouts to the terminally lazy? My wife works with kids who are the offspring of 2nd and 3rd generation dole cheats. Whereas the hardest working and best behaved kids are those from non-UK backgrounds. I think you need to realise that the only thing holding this country up right now is those people from outside coming in. If all those people who were not born here were to be returned to their country of birth, this country would collapse in less than 12 months.

Binoculars
26th May 2008, 23:46
Oh dear, Bill, it would appear irony is not your strong point.

Howard Hughes
26th May 2008, 23:57
You wacky Queenslanders...;)

BillHicksRules
27th May 2008, 06:40
Binos,

And you neither, mate.:E:E:ok::ok:

Cheers

BHR

Parapunter
27th May 2008, 08:16
Taking Joan Ruddock outside & putting a bullet through the back of her head.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7420792.stm

On the retrospective taxation of cars, soon to land on your doormat, I quote:

But environment minister Joan Ruddock said that, while she sympathised with motorists, the government "could not lose sight of the environment agenda".

She denied the retrospective aspect of the policy was unfair, saying: "Over a 10-year period... I think the direction we have been going in has been clear to people at the time," she said.

So as this government has self proclaimed environmental agendas at it's heart, we, the tax paying public should have been capable of guessing that this monstrously unfair tax would have been levied? Well, you can't accuse her of patronising the electorate can you? It's the first time I have been credited with second sight by a politician.:mad:

yakker
27th May 2008, 09:02
Basil and BHR,

What about the scroungers in Spain. I know an ex-policeman retired early due to ill health (bad back). Currently collecting his disability benefits while living in Spain. He will be found playing tennis or golf in the sun. His home address is still in Newcastle, just pops home to draw out the cash a couple of times a year. And he is not the only one.

Retire abroad forfeit any pension payments, afterall you will be spending your money abroad and not supporting the UK economy.

Avitor
27th May 2008, 09:05
I need more than one policy. Out of the EU. Smoking and hunting bans rescinded. To be told that 'we were having you on over global warming' We used it as an excuse to tax you.
Out of the HRA.
Immigrants must apply to enter this country and enter only when cleared to do so.
Pull out of Iraq and Afghanistan (I do not swallow the reasons government give for our presence) concentrate our revered and respected military on defence.
Double the police force numbers and disband the CPS.
Most of all put the Gollyw.og back on my Marmalade. :ok:

Firestorm
27th May 2008, 09:41
Repeal the Hunting Ban.

Snappybits
27th May 2008, 10:01
Agree with Firey:ok:

Dan D'air
27th May 2008, 14:18
Introducing compulsory Recieved Pronunciation. I can't understand any of the feckers on JB these days................ Oops, it's catching.

sitigeltfel
27th May 2008, 15:35
Change the Maternity / Disability / Ethnic quota / Health and Safety employment laws, to apply to companies with 5 million employees or more.

Binoculars
2nd Jun 2008, 12:56
The question, re-worded, basically asked no matter what else a party is promising, if there were to be one single policy that would guarantee your vote, what would it be? And two people nominated the repeal of a ban on hunting?

I think I'll assume it was dry British humour.

Peter Fanelli
2nd Jun 2008, 14:02
Get out of that vile reeking corrupt EU

Would that mean giving up the Eurosausage? :}