PDA

View Full Version : Is the OAA assesment biased?

zuluflyer
23rd May 2008, 15:07
I went to visit oaa on a wednesday and there were people who were doing their assements and had just finished. out of 6 one had a ppl and he got straight through and everyone else had failed one part of the test and had to come back to do retake. similarly three other people i know went for assesment one had a ppl got straight through the other two had failed one part of it and had to do retake. I know these are very small numbers to be basing this on but this is what i really think. i to have to go and do a retake failing the RBI part of the compass test. my question is this has anyone got straight through without a PPL any other views welcome?

n90bar
23rd May 2008, 15:12
Being an ex student, I can assure you that I do not believe OAA are biased with the skills assessment. The RBI part of the test is probably the most complicated (it was for me anyway) - perhaps the guys with PPL's have seen this instrument so have been able to get familiar with it. Out of the other 16 guys on my course, 2 had a PPL, and all got on the course without having to retake any of the skills assessment.

hollingworthp
23rd May 2008, 15:18
I got through first time and without a PPL and would find it difficult to believe that the COMPASS test is biased as it is not actually produced by OAA but provided under license by EPST who will grade your results and send them to OAA.

n90bar
23rd May 2008, 15:54
The results don't get graded by EPST, its all done in house by OAA - or at least im 99% sure it is dont this way.

Joffyh
23rd May 2008, 19:16
I was there today doing COMPASS and was told that results are sent to EPST for grading.

When I went for my initial assessment there were seven of us. Three got through (one had a PPL), three were asked to go back and one person was "rejected"....I wouldn't say they were biased.

n90bar
23rd May 2008, 20:19
Sorry - I never knew they were sent to EPST for grading....sorry about that!

roll_over
23rd May 2008, 20:36
I went on the open day a while back to check things out. The slalom test was horrible, the hardest thing about it was the FPS, it made me feel a little dizzy since the image was so blurry. Or maybe I am just too used to playing PC games :}

bucket_and_spade
23rd May 2008, 20:42
That's an odd interpretation of your experience. I wouldn't be surprised at all if those with PPLs were statistically more likely to pass as they would no doubt have already demonstrated/improved many of the skills tested by OAA in the process of gaining a PPL.

B&S

splashbrooke
23rd May 2008, 21:52
A couple of people with PPls failed on my one.. :)

Whirlygig
23rd May 2008, 22:09
Personally, I think the tests are biassed against people who have never played computer games!!!! :} Even with a PPL!!!!

Cheers

Whirls

clanger32
24th May 2008, 21:30
IMHO, It is possible that the tests are a little more natural to those with a PPL than those without one and therefore those holding a PPL may perform better IN SOME STAGES.

I too, however, was accepted first time with virtually no prior aviation experience so it's not un-achievable. What I will say about the RBI test is that it is (probably) the most complex of the lot of the tests and it is therefore imperative that you read, re-read and re-re-read the instructions before you attempt it. When you've done that, read them again. It is the only segment where you are allowed as long as you like on the instructions for a reason.

But to answer the original question, no. I don't think it's biased in any shape or form...if you look at the often thrown accusation that OAA try and milk you for as much as possible, it would be the other way around as those with a PPL are more likely to pass flying first time and not need the additional training...

heli_port
25th May 2008, 06:55
Zulu remember this piece of advice for the RBI part:

THE RBI NEEDLE ALWAYS POINTS TO THE BEACON. Thus you have to rotate that instrument round in your head to fit the situation. The other 2 instruments, the compass & artificial horizon are self explanatory and will help you fix your position in space to coincide with one of the a/c on screen.

I remember when i took my test a couple of weeks ago i got to this point and i totally freaked out! After regaining my composure and remembering the OAA teams guidance to go back and read the instructions as many times as i liked it just clicked (after reading it 3 times) and well the rest is history and i sailed through to pass the OAA skills assssment.

The test is not biased. Don't worry relax and go do it again. A friend of mine failed 2 years ago and he resat and passed and now flies 737's for BA! ;)

good luck.

mini-jumbo
29th May 2008, 09:21
The tests are not biased, and as has been said are not "in-house" tests, therefore OAA can't influence the results.

The majority of people who fail a section of the Compass Tests is probably down to not reading the instructions carefully. Make sure you actually read what is written, and not what you think is written.

350Z
29th May 2008, 11:59
The RBI's a piece of cake when you understand it!

I failed the OAA assessment on the group work and interview! Shocker lol! I've got most jobs I've gone for thanks to my interview skills!

I felt that the debrief wasn't very useful as the person doing it wasn't present during any phase of the testing! (Nick Mylne- real nice guy though!) I was told to take team working courses, which I find pretty ridiculous tbh as I have a 2.1 degree from a good uni. I have worked in many teams, led projects and even won awards! but hey ho, guess they didn't like me much!

So much for it being a money spinner and them letting anyone through! I had the money ready to go and they new this but even then they told me to come back in 6 months. Considering FTE now instead lol

heli_port
31st May 2008, 15:14
maybe you were too cocky? :E:E:p

now now young sam everyone has their strengths and weaknesses ;) All i did was to say something useful at this stage and i came through it ok..

try again :cool:

Feet of Flames
31st May 2008, 18:19
I didn't have a PPL, but did attend a local flying club who took me through the workings of an aeroplane. Did open a physics book for the first time in some ?? years, and studied recent events within the airline industry. I passed! Start Sept 08.

Just prepare, as the Assessors are only looking for someone with some knowledge and a little common sense.

Relax and do the re-take. It's not the end of the world failing. If you want it enough, you will get it!

Good Luck!

Tootles the Taxi
31st May 2008, 22:52
I was told to take team working courses, which I find pretty ridiculous tbh as I have a 2.1 degree from a good uni.

What's that got to do with anything? I know numerous graduates with practically no team skills.

mini-jumbo
1st Jun 2008, 08:50
What's that got to do with anything? I know numerous graduates with practically no team skills.Well, the team working (or group excersise) are all about how you interact with other members of a team. It's a way for the assessors to assess your CRM potential. When you're flying multi-crew, you are a member of a team, and it is important to be able to interact with that team efficiently and effectively.

hollingworthp
1st Jun 2008, 15:16
mini-jumbo said:
Well, the team working (or group excersise) are all about how you interact with other members of a team. It's a way for the assessors to assess your CRM potential. When you're flying multi-crew, you are a member of a team, and it is important to be able to interact with that team efficiently and effectively.I think Tootles fully understands that, he was commenting on 350Z's rather laughable notion that simply having a 2:1 infers him with top-notch team working skills suitable to the cockpit and that OAA clearly failed to spot that. His comment alone belies a certain arrogance which they probably did spot :sad:

350Z
1st Jun 2008, 23:01
Yeah ok my bad and valid point on many grads having poor interpersonal skills- many Uni's are well aware of this and therefore gone to some length in redesigning courses to address the issue (hence my comment)

Maybe I should rephrase to include the fact that as part of my degree I undertook several real world I.T consultancy projects, liaising with corporate clients and working in project teams in both academic and professional context....I do apologise for my outlandish sweeping statement lol.

My only gripe with OAA assessment is the assessors during group work phase were not paying much of attention during the activities (they were in fact chatting amongst one another) and also that they were not present during the individual debrief.

Oh and hollingworth; don't judge mate, no one has ever commented that I am arrogant and I don't know how you could come to that assumption from one post in a thread but no worries.

oli4
2nd Jun 2008, 16:03
wahey..... back on topic....
i went for my assesment and out of 6, 3 of us passed, none of us that passed had ppl's but 1 guy did and he was rejected completely, not even asked back for a resit which i thought was harsh cos he was a really nice guy and am sure he passed the sim, and group tasks.
anyway OAA are not biased, not in my opinion anyway.
best of luck