PDA

View Full Version : Fly Redair

fly1981
23rd May 2008, 10:08
Hi All,

Does anyone have any info on this new startup airline in South Africa? Believe it is to be based in Cpt. Any info on Aircraft types they planning to operate would be much appreciated:ok:. Details at this stage seem sketchy!

groundfloor
23rd May 2008, 10:57
:)Civair? Cluver?

Lifes-a-Beech
23rd May 2008, 13:12
Redair dares to win air price war

Submitted by Paul Chambers on January 22nd, 2008 Tamlyn Stewart Published:Jan 22, 2008

SKY VISION: Andy Cluver, chief executive of Civair, says Redair will offer passengers the opportunity to design their own flights Picture: RUVAN BOSHOFF
A new low-cost airline, Redair, is threatening to shake up the South African aviation industry, but experts have sounded a note of caution to consumers.
The airline has been granted the rights to five weekly return flights between Cape Town, Durban, and London’s Stansted airport by the Air Licence Council, an international body.
Andy Cluver, Redair’s owner and the chief executive of charter airline Civair, said: “We believe there’s a gap in the market to bring low cost on long-haul. We believe a lot of people fly on price.”
Cluver said R40-million had been raised, through South Africa’s Industrial Development Corporation and private investors, and this would be more than enough to get Redair off the ground “sometime” this year.
Cluver said Redair was trying to get concessions on airport taxes at Stansted airport. And he’s shopping around for planes. “We’re looking for a very fuel-efficient plane. Either a Boeing 767-300ER or 777 or 747-400.”
Cluver said the estimated cost of a one-way Redair ticket from Cape Town to London Stansted, was just under R2000, without airport taxes. Airport taxes, he said, would add another R1000 to the total cost.
But aviation analyst Linden Birns said it was too early to estimate ticket prices.
“Until you have actually committed to an actual aeroplane it’s almost impossible to calculate the fare,” Birns said.
“There are all sorts of variables — the seating capacity of the aeroplane, which model of 747 they’ll be using, the type of engine, and the fluctuating price of jet fuel.”
But, Birns said, there was strong demand for flights on the SA-London route. “There’s definitely room for that sort of route, there’s enormous demand.”
Redair has also been granted licences to fly to Spain, out of Cape Town, Durban and Johannesburg.
The airline has also applied for licences to fly to Buenos Aires and to China.
Cluver said Redair originally applied for the Cape Town and Durban to London Stansted licences in January last year, and only received confirmation that they had been awarded the licences in December last year.
He said: “We will sell you a seat on the web, then you can add on, you can pre-order meals. We give you a choice. You can’t pre-order alcohol, you can buy it on board. ”
Extras include a business class lounge — but passengers will have to pay to use it.
Passengers will be permitted only one piece of luggage in the hold. The airline will charge a fee for extra baggage.
Cluver said: “You design your own flight. We’re expecting mass booking, so we can do it cheaper.
“It all adds up to bringing the costs down.”
Civair attempted to launch South Africa’s first international no-frills airline as long ago as 2004, but the plans collapsed when a partner withdrew.
Passengers in the UK and South Africa were reportedly left stranded, but Cluver insisted that Civair had reimbursed them.

Solid Rust Twotter
23rd May 2008, 13:17
Yup. Be afraid.....

Lifes-a-Beech
23rd May 2008, 13:17
Check threads at the bottom of the page for previous posts

I.R.PIRATE
23rd May 2008, 14:43
A red-airring perhaps?

Happydays
23rd May 2008, 21:13
http://www.aviationjobs.drm-za.com/Default.asp?Job=scb/Details_Page.asp?ProductID=229

They looking for cabin crew. See link.

The aircraft they refer to on the ad is a 767-300ER

davidjh
23rd May 2008, 22:31
Yep, that's what it is! According to the Oxford illustrated dictionary....Rascally conduct, underhand plotting. So, what I'm really saying is that this word is synonymous with Andy Cluver! For once heed the warnings of those who have had first hand dealings with this man. Stay away! You have been warned.:}

Propellerpilot
24th May 2008, 10:48
It probably will not work with current fuel pricing and if its gonna go to 200U$ a barrel, even US and European Low Cost carriers are already announcing dire straits and charging extra for the luggage and all sorts of other price coverups. Long haul is not considered feasible for low cost, otherwise they would have done it long time ago. Hong Kong based Oasis also went down. So what are these guys going to do different ? 747 was mentioned-not cheap to operate.

How are they going to do it ? Maybe find crew who will fly for free or even pay a sum just to get the hours ? (has been done by a certain operator of Convairs at FACT) think those times are over :ugh:

Jangys
28th May 2008, 12:46
Maybe not a bad thing....some competition for SAA and the others. Flying to Spain direct from SA, good for Cape Town tourism.

:hmm:

Jangys
29th May 2008, 06:40
Please enlighten me suitcaseman, about the bad track record..I realize the debacle with the last airline..

But what else??

I am very keen to know, dont want to go and work there to be without a job a couple of months down the line...

:O

JetPark
29th May 2008, 06:54
Be afraid - VERY afraid. Research some earlier (historic) threads on this individual and his operation/s. In this industry, one's reputation precedes one:uhoh:

Ever heard the phrase - "so smooth it can slide uphill"?

I, personally, cannot say that I have ever had a bad experience with the person/s & operation/s in question - but then I went to the university of bad eggs in aviation a long time ago and so learned who and how to deal with it! :eek:

Jangys
30th May 2008, 06:26
Thanks, will bear that in mind..

:ok:

George Tower
30th May 2008, 06:44
ZAR40m is less than USD6m:eek:

The 767 is hardly a new piece of kit, fuel is @ $130/bbl :rolleyes:

And he is going to take on the established players in a "price war" :ugh:

My only piece of advice would be that he must make up his cash short fall by selling some that decidedly potent stuff he's smoking.:confused:

Jamex
30th May 2008, 08:23
Every time an airline fails or withdraws from a potentially lucrative route then the same names(vultures?) fall over each other to pick up the route/s. In this case Nationwide goes and now this "operation" wants to run to London. Five years ago the same names (Cluver, Irwin, etc) were trying to pick the bones of the Hydro Air collapse and run freighters. Somethings never change and leopards clearly cannot change their spots.

Goffel
30th May 2008, 08:46
Something does not add up here....look at who his chief pilot is... one who was from Mango, (I think was also at Nationwide), and who is most certainly respected in the aviation circle.
There is a a lot of Mango staff that have gone over.
Why would that type of person leave an excellent job and go over to Andy???.
Something tells me, that someone, somewhere knows something that we dont know.(or is there a Nationwide undertone that we dont know about).

For the industry, I honestly hope it gets off the ground and does well.

Good luck to the people who have been offered flying positions. (and the others).

Goffel.

JetPark
30th May 2008, 11:49
It's only ignorance (not intended to be rude or defamatory) that will send people to Redair. Those who have knowledge of this CEO's other operational history know better. I know of someone who was offered a fairly senior position and called for my thoughts - we did have a chuckle about it. Harmless character actually but clueless when it comes to airline operations. I had a party the day I got out of the airline business years back - all that work and risk for 1% yield? No thanks! Ask AASA - African Airlines are lucky to produce much more than this. It will not work. But I'll eat my airframe in front of all ppruners if it does!

Jangys
8th Jul 2008, 11:24
I heard that SA CAA granted an dispensation to Redair to have their initial AOC issued with a foreign registered aircraft on it. The crew and whole operations is going to be run by this european crowd.

Easy for Cluver, when the things get tough, he will probably leave this poor operator with the problems....

:ugh::yuk:

grjplanes
9th Jul 2008, 08:00
Apparently it'll be a 767-300ER that is currently being used by Virgin Nigeria? Which means they'll have to change planes again also?

Goffel
10th Jul 2008, 20:31
and since you two above are adding to the rumours, did you know that I am the new chief pilot....please send all cv's. (box number to follow).

You will not be bonded, and will have a P1, whether you have ATP or a Comm..(and no, I dont accept cash, only cheques).

By the way, the 1st flight out will be captained by a woman...the FO, is also a woman and the cabin crew all males.

The name Redair is now being changed to Pinkair.

And now if the thief that stole my "approved stamp" does not give it back, the above will turn out to be fact.

Goffel...:ugh: