PDA

View Full Version : Hows T5 going at the moment?

Onions
23rd May 2008, 08:38
Transferring through T5 next week and was just wondering when i'd be seeing my bags again? It hasnt appeared in the news recently so I assume that all is well.

sanjosebaz
23rd May 2008, 08:51
(shouldn't this be in SLF forum?)

Whilst not transferring, I flew from T5 for the first time last night (BA to NCL). Checkin and security very easy, and the flight left 15 minutes early. :ok:

T5 has TOOOO many shops though, and the signage is not great (toilet signs leading to a facility which looks like it has never been open, for instance).

Oh, and yes - my bags arrived on the belt in NCL! Was out of the airport before the advertised arrival time in fact (mainly due to the early departure). On the whole, quite impressed. Petty it was not that way on day 1 (or day 2, 3, 4, ...)

Albert Driver
23rd May 2008, 09:21
Sorry. There's only good news to report about T5 now.

So this thread will soon disappear....

GwynM
23rd May 2008, 10:13
I've now flow to Abz 4 times and returned 3 times (the other time I went to Gatwick instead).

At 5.30 am they only had 2 -xray machines working out of 14, but it still only took 10 minutes to get through and into the BA lounge, where they don't have enough information screens (but nice bacon rolls first thing).

Although it is about 5 miles further than T1 (I come from North London), the delays in the tunnel and the drop off ramp for T1 mean the actual time from home to check in is the same.

Getting from domestic arrivals to LHR Express is much better

In summary, it's better than T1 for domestic, but when all's said and done, it's still a terminal

Dont Hang Up
23rd May 2008, 11:56
One thing I don't see mentioned at all, but is definitely T5 policy. It is NOT necessary to remove your laptop from it's bag to go through T5 security. Presumably due to better scanners.
Unfortunately that small benefit was completely negated by security insisting that everyone took of their shoes, which is one of the rarer excesses in other airports

Final 3 Greens
23rd May 2008, 14:32
What a shame that the opening was coeck up.

People will remember T5 as a laughing stock, when it seems to be a good terminal.

ZFT
24th May 2008, 01:00
One thing I don't see mentioned at all, but is definitely T5 policy. It is NOT necessary to remove your laptop from it's bag to go through T5 security. Presumably due to better scanners.

T3 the same since about 3 months ago but before T5 opened.

radeng
24th May 2008, 11:05
I don't like T5. Too many shops, a long and unnecessary walk to the lounges (just so they can get you past the shops) and security as helpful as usual at LHR - although T4 the other week were unusually fast friendly and efficient.

The other Friday, I waited for over an hour for a bag - at least it arrived. On the way out to LCA, a whole load didn't.

Onions
24th May 2008, 14:09
Apologies for posting in wrong forum.

Jimmy Riddle
24th May 2008, 22:24
No personal experience but a mate passed through T5 & T2 on his way abroad. His view......a beautiful new terminal,clean & modern,awful signage(but lots of people in T shirts to show the way)luggage checked through to destination & no losses.
Abiding image though......the long distances & complete absence of moving walkways......the moving walkways in T2 were all on maintenance & it was a trek which he wouldnt have had with similar final destination using AMS or CDG.

radeng
25th May 2008, 06:31
I expect that Bloody Awful Airports didn't want to have moving walkways to 'not maintain' - just as the walkways in the other terminals don't get maintained.

yarpos
26th May 2008, 06:09
went through there last week transiting from T3 for a connection back to Geneva on the 13th and vice versa on the 21st.

all went smoothly and my bags even accompanied me.

first time through , my only small issue is with signage (which others mentioned) left the plane and followed flight connections signs only to find the flight connections I wanted was in opposite direction. Just basically thoughtless design :ugh: and so obviously wrong you wonder why its still there.....I guess people just get on with it and dont complain....if you could find that rare individual that cared and could do something maybe it would be worth it.

my boss went through on the morning of day one, his experience has become travel legend humour in our office

srobarts
26th May 2008, 18:08
My kids have gone from T5 to Newcastle for the day today to visit their Gran, out bound flight was 50mins late and return flight is currently showing over an hour late. Checking departures on the web and virtually all T5 flights seem to be leaving late whereas other terminals don't seem to show the same levels of delays.
When they have done the trip form T1 in the past the flights were invariably on time.
Can anyone throw light on where the problem lies?

c2lass
27th May 2008, 12:30
We travelled through at the end of April. Had a couple of hours wait so being female went to browse the shops. All I will say is that those shops are not geared for the average person. They are all designer shops with designer prices and all way out of my league.

We did have a wonderful breakfast in Gordon Ramsay's Plane Food and again expensive at £37 for the two of us :eek:, but the food and service were excellent. The quality of food was superb with nice tasting sausages, beautiful butter (how you miss real butter eating these low fat types all the time) and freshly squeezed oranges in the orange juice. It was my birthday so it was a real treat and very nice way to finish our holiday.

We are back at T5 in September and are now beginning to save up for lunch back at Gordon Ramsay's :ok:. As for the rest of the shops, I will not bother.