PDA

View Full Version : Virgin 'welcome to nation' PA

Keg
23rd May 2008, 05:03
I just spotted this on the Andrew Bolt blog- he's a Melbourne journo for those that have never heard of him. Andrew is a bit right wing and he's no Matt Price but he's the best I've got since Matt died last year. :(

Anyway, he posts this report from a contributor to his blog:
http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/comments/a_virgins_prayer/

I returned to Adelaide last night on a Virgin flight from Sydney.

Upon landing the “cabin leader” delivered the usual spiel about fruit fly in SA etc etc but I felt my skin crawl as she then gives a recognition speech to the Kaurna people, recognising them as first inhabitants and then thanking their elders both past, present and future.

It was obvious she was reading it, delivered it with a somewhat cheesy voice and barely got the Kaurna pronounciation right.

On this issue, is it common for DJ crew to do a 'welcome to nation' type PA whenever they land somewhere?

I only came across these types of welcomes recently when Mrs Keg had to do one as Acting Pres of Kegette's Girl Guide parents committee. Since then I'm hearing more and more of them.

The reader goes on to make this point and I tend to agree with it.

Of course there were the obligitory sighs of approval around me in the plane. All their guilt had been washed away!…

I would love to know exactly what other efforts Virginblue make to improve life for indigenous Australia? Maybe I missed it but I coundn’t find anything on their website.

It never ceases to amaze me how hollow gestures are so readliy accepted by the Australian public.

Unless there are actually representatives of the 'nation' there doing the welcomed then it all sounds a bit 'trite' to me.

PS: I thought about putting this in questions but it is an airline thing....feel free to move it across if it detracts from Reporting points.

Capt.Grumpy
23rd May 2008, 05:20
Andrew is a bit right wing

Jeez, that's a bit of an understatement.................he's usually known as Melbourne's Village Idiot :ok:

Sunfish
23rd May 2008, 05:49
While it may be overdone on VB, I happen to think that acknowledging indigenous ownership is the germ of a solution to a lot of problems.

For a start, I fail to see why ranger employment at all National Parks are not the province solely of Aboriginals.

turbantime
23rd May 2008, 06:41
Geez Derek, ever thought that this could be a directive from management? It's usually those idiots that make decisions like these.

The story behind it is as such.....directive sent out to the CS' to make this PA, in fact the first one was so poorly worded that quite a few of the CS' were verbally abused as the passengers disembarked. It had wording to the effect of "we want to honour the rightful owners of this land"

Then the wording changed. What also changed was the requirement to make it, it is now an option.

Most cabin crew will not make this PA, but there are obviously some with stars in their eyes (or perhaps management ambitions) that will continue to make it. I for one hate hearing it when I'm paxing as everyone around you inevitably looks at the man in the monkey suit...i mean uniform. :yuk:

Lasiorhinus
23rd May 2008, 07:21
For a start, I fail to see why ranger employment at all National Parks are not the province solely of Aboriginals.

Because Australia prohibits discrimination on the basis of race when considering someone for employment

Mr.Buzzy
23rd May 2008, 08:38
It's about time this country started looking after my minority group:

Hetrosexual f*cken taxpayers!

bbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

hoss
23rd May 2008, 09:00
had a little laugh at the announcement for BNE which they didn't have an aboriginal word for.

so to all you maroon banana benders have a good weekend with 'the spirit ancestors'.

i'm down here in SYD with the 'eeurora of the gwunia', i think. :)

wirgin blew
23rd May 2008, 10:04
I would have to say most aren't making the PA and if you do hear it then you have come across someone who believes in it or has management aspirations.
It was suggested to management that if they want to do this properly then either devote a page in Voyeur or put it on Live2Air as it may offend some if it is incorrectly pronounced and would offend others that it was even being said at all.
The initial CCON came out within a matter of days of the Governments Apology in parliament and the company told all that it was part of VB's Charity for the year which is Indigenous Peoples.
Cynics would say it was an attempt to cash in on the Governments speech.

Taildragger67
23rd May 2008, 11:37
So upn arrival at YSSY, do they only defer to the Eora (by doing so being discriminatory towards the Kuringgai) or do they refer to all groups individually by name (considering the Eora and Kuringgai were as different as Thais and Lao across the Mekong)? Oh, and not forgetting the Dharawal as well... :ugh:

I am a white straight anglo-saxon male Australian, I cannot (and will not) apologise for what I was born as and I am proud of all of it.

Spaz Modic
23rd May 2008, 12:18
:ugh: Jeeezusss! What a loada bullsh1t! :ugh:

tiptoeturkey
23rd May 2008, 13:56
:=
Obviously no one is offended by this post.

The Bunglerat
23rd May 2008, 14:45
Thankfully I've yet to fly with any CC who make the announcement, but then maybe it's just a matter of time.

With all due respect to both indiginous and "immigrant" folk, it seems to me that such an announcement only rubs salt in the wound of what is already a sensitive enough subject - for both sides. The sooner it is officially done away with, the better.

Gnadenburg
24th May 2008, 02:22
The clowns at Virgin Blue make a mockery of air safety. And now they are playing with the serious and personal issue of reconciliation?

How many indigenous girls fit the Virgin cabin crew flair mould? Any tech crew?

So if it is corporate direction perhaps Virgin management could cough up beyond what's politically fashionable....

Ultralights
24th May 2008, 03:27
on a bit of a tangent, there are plenty of signs in my part of the world. explaining the naming of suburbs, eg, Worrigee, aboriginal for peppermint tree.

i never knew peppermint trees were native aussie species,

or even better, i have seen, ***** aboriginal for Bullock train! hmmmm

bushy
24th May 2008, 04:15
1. Who says the aboriginals we know today are the first inhabitants of this land?
2. Most city dwellers have never seen a real aboriginal.
3. I thought we were ALL Australians and should seek to reconcile, and co-operate, not divide.

Wiley
24th May 2008, 05:01
With all due respect to both indiginous and "immigrant" folk, it seems to me that such an announcement only rubs salt in the wound of what is already a sensitive enough subject - for both sidesAgree 110% with those sentiments.

I've been out of Ozmate for many years now, but was there this year for the celebrations/commiserations for "Invasion Day" on Jan 26th and the apalling "sorry" x 2 written in the sky. (The first one was almost immediately obscured by clouds, which had me believing in karma for one moment there.)

I was also at the (this year, misnamed) Jazz in the Park where Clover or one of her acolytes droned on before the salsa-posing-as-jazz started with a speech asking the Eora, the true custodians of the land, permission for us, invading interlopers that we are, to sit in their park and enjoy the misnamed jazz.

What interested me on both occasions was the way the local (pink hued) people so utterly ignored the Politically Correct bull**** and pretended, with some success, that neither were happening.

I have to admit to damn near frothing at the mouth on the boat out in the Harbour when the "sorrys" appeared in the sky. I do not feel I have to apologise for the actions taken by some Georgian English Government over 200 years ago, particularly since, had that government's agent, one Arthur Phillip, arrived in Botany as little as 48 hours after he did, the descendents of the Eora would today be drinking cheap French rotgut out of brown paper bags - or far more likely, saki, since a French AustraliE would have fallen over itself to willingly collaborate with the Japanese in 1941 (as they did in Indochine) as quickly as you could say "cheese eating surrender monkey".

And how, can someone tell me, are the multi-squillion dollar compensation claims progressing since Our Kev said the magic "sorry" word?

airtags
24th May 2008, 05:40
despite the fact that there are more factions amongst the indigenous groups than the left wing of the ALP the PA is trite and the company document does not even correctly (phonetically) spell out some of the primary tribal group names.

If there is a great God, rainbow serpent or a bunch of wise ancestors perhaps we all should pray to them and request they impart their wisdom to Boeing and make all VB PA systems battery powered.

I reckon that halfway through the first sector of the day the batteries would be flat and the punters can some peace.:E

jetblues
24th May 2008, 13:20
It's a crock of poltical bull**** gone terribly wrong and they ain't doing it on my flghts. End of story.

Dark Knight
25th May 2008, 00:55
It is way past time this racist claptrap was well & truly ended.

We are either a group of peoples and/or nations divided

or

All Australinas working together to build a better & great nation for all.

This my country, your country, our country - Protect it or Lose it!

DK

tinpis
25th May 2008, 01:17
The "Insiders" this morning had a few wake up calls as well

Piers and David Marr AGREEING ? :eek:

I'd like to see Swanee try to slide a few million into the compensation fund "Sorry" trough at the moment

tinpis
25th May 2008, 01:42
And this http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/Below.gifidiot is starting to sound like a moronic cracked record :hmm:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4131039&postcount=2

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4046514&postcount=8

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3915311&postcount=131

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3771021&postcount=890

Capt.Grumpy
25th May 2008, 01:57
Awww...didums, didums, Tinny, , have I hurt your feelings by referring to one of your heroes as "a village idiot". Well you can't please all of the people all of the time...just take another aspro and lie down you poor old bugger. :rolleyes:

Keg
25th May 2008, 02:36
Interesting insight into Capt Grumpy though when 28% of your posts are about Andrew Bolt's political leanings and commentary. :E

tinpis
25th May 2008, 02:53
:hmm: Keg,you dont suppose Grumpy could be an alter ego of Barry Bones? :ooh:

amos2
25th May 2008, 08:14
Nah!...I think your bio, crazy old coot, says it all really! :ok:

Wiley
25th May 2008, 09:23
I agree with your sentiments, Dark Knight. However, i don't think we'll ever see it happen, if only because the current sorry situation supports a HUGE and thriving(misnamed) 'industry' of public servants, lawyers (dipping into the Legal Aid pot of gold) and welfare professionals who'd all be out of jobs if our BROTHERS (and use that term absolutely sincerely) - who are our fellow Australians, but who just happen to have darker skin than most of us, and whose forebears arrived here somewhat earlier than ours did, were allowed - or expected - to exist under the same rules as the rest of us.

The Aboriginals up in the Kimberleys gave the current welfare system when it was first introduced an awfully accurate name - "Sit Down Money". Before it was introduced by well-meaning but horribly misguided people from Canberra, most Aboriginal people in that part of the country worked, and worked very hard, on the cattle stations.

If society expected the same of the Aboriginal population as it does of the rest of us, many of them would rise to - and above - that expectation. However, tell someone he's different and have absolutely no expectations of him, and unfortunately, we see the result in every park and under every railway bridge.

oldhasbeen
25th May 2008, 22:24
this thread is just crying out for a couple of Monty Pythonisms.............................anyone???:eek:

peuce
26th May 2008, 01:59
And another thing ....

While we're on the subject of crazy VB cabin procedures ... which we aren't ...

Am I paranoid, or has anyone else noticed:

It's hot as buggery now on VB flights. I've even heard the CC complain.Is it an attempt to sell more drinks ? or lower fuel costs?
Noticed on last 3 VB flights that Seat Belt sign not extinguished till about 10 minutes into cruise, after smooth climb out. They appear to be using it as a "crowd control measure" ... instead of a "safety item" ... it's going to loose any relevance soon..and the punters will start ignoring it .

Quick, someone hand me a copy of "Catcher in the Rye" :rolleyes:

Track Coastal
26th May 2008, 04:56
Capt Grumpy was drawing on a term used by Mike Carlton last year, when the self-denial coalition was immolating just before the election...
http://www.smh.com.au/news/opinion/our-rightminded-friends-storm-the-exits/2007/10/26/1192941334031.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap2

Tinpis reading a broadsheet or a newspaper that hasn't got a crocodile story probably doesn't float-yer-boat.

tinpis
26th May 2008, 05:39
Mike who (http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/comments/the_village_idiot)?:hmm:

Capt.Grumpy
26th May 2008, 07:13
It's a broadsheet Tinny, not a Murdoch tabloid and definately not the NT News. The SMH and Age are designed for people with an attention span of more than 10 words. Next thing you'll be extolling the virtues of 20/twenty cricket :hmm:

tinpis
27th May 2008, 22:18
Oh the Fairfax rags ?
Kevvy can do no wrong?
Right :E...The SMH (http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/now-rudd-pays-the-price/2008/05/27/1211654031526.html)..The Age (http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/arts-elite-attacks-pm/2008/05/27/1211654031654.html)

Capt.Grumpy
28th May 2008, 04:24
Oh the Fairfax rags ?

The Age is the Labor Star in drag.

Oh silly me,of course, as opposed to those bastions of middle of the road reporting, The Australian,The Herald Sun and The Daily Telegraph :rolleyes:

tinpis
28th May 2008, 05:27
You better just worry about your glorious State Labor budget Grumpy

When Andrew Fraser delivers his first budget next Tuesday, a predicted $269 million surplus will have turned into a $995 million deficit. (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/05/27/2257380.htm?section=australia)

:D

Stationair8
16th Jun 2008, 11:20
Went to a lecture at the local library, the lecturer is introduced to the group and the person doing the introduction gives a quick run through on the gentleman's achievements and then says before we begin, " I would like to acknowledge the rightful owners of the land upon which this building sits".

Being a narrow minded racist bigot, I happened to mention the statement to my better half when I arrived and she replied that it is now standard practice at most government functions, council functions, school assemblies etc.

Which clever feckwit in government dreamed up this little gem?

Angle of Attack
16th Jun 2008, 13:03
Oh silly me,of course, as opposed to those bastions of middle of the road reporting, The Australian,The Herald Sun and The Daily Telegraph

Too true! Too true! :ok:

Taildragger67
16th Jun 2008, 14:43
Went to a lecture at the local library, the lecturer is introduced to the group and the person doing the introduction gives a quick run through on the gentleman's achievements and then says before we begin, " I would like to acknowledge the rightful owners of the land upon which this building sits".

Being a narrow minded racist bigot, I happened to mention the statement to my better half when I arrived and she replied that it is now standard practice at most government functions, council functions, school assemblies etc.

Rightful owners?

I have a piece of paper wot says I am the rightful owner of my plot and anyone who tries to assert otherwise will have an argument on their hands with myself and messrs Winchester and Wilkinson.

skol
16th Jun 2008, 22:09
You can probably put down a lot of these random PA's and other behaviour by cabin crew to some of the PC CRM training, 'empowering ' them.

Some time back one of our cabin crew called the captain and told him he wasn't happy and wanted to return to the terminal at LHR because some fuel was spilling from the surge tank during taxying, a normal occurrence. Despite several assurances that this was normal the c/crew member insisted. Individual was told to sit down because if aircraft returned to the terminal it would be his last flight.

If there's a problem I like to remind them that there's such a thing as an 'authority gradient' on the aircraft and I'm at the top.

Jabawocky
16th Jun 2008, 22:18
It's about time this country started looking after my minority group:

Hetrosexual f*cken taxpayers!

bbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzz

Mr Buzzy :D:D:D

J:ok:

Duff Man
17th Jun 2008, 03:39
Trite, yes. Not nearly as bad as the lecture given on smoking on my last DJ flight "no smoking on the apron or terminal and you should quit because it's bad for you". := I hated it and I don't smoke!

But all these are nowhere near as annoying for SLF who put up with cockpit PA sit back, relax, and enjoy the flight.

1. "SIT BACK". .. Yessir! Cap'n sir!

2. "RELAX" ... a little hard for anybody in cattle.

3. "ENJOY THE FLIGHT" ... enthusiasts, maybe. But frequent flyers, nervous flyers, families with kids .... we just wanna get to point "B" ASAP!

airbusthreetwenty
17th Jun 2008, 05:46
"Rightful owners?

I have a piece of paper wot says I am the rightful owner of my plot and anyone who tries to assert otherwise will have an argument ontheir hands with me and messrs Winchester and Wilkinson."

Reminds me of something that happened to my Grandmother right around Mabo time. She had been out shopping one day and came back to her newly built property on the Central Coast. When she got home she discovered 3 or 4 indigenous men walking around her backyard raking around the soil.

When she got out of the car she said something to the effect of "What the bloody hell are you doing in my back yard?"

Their reply? They were investigating as to whether or not her property was a "sacred traditional eating site" as there were large numbers of old weathered shells amongst the soil.

My grandmother was quick to follow this up with the council. As it turns out, when the property was being built they had a large amount of soil fill trucked onto the site as landfill.

Needless to say she told them to bugger off with their claim.