PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Hiring ?

mesaflying
23rd May 2008, 04:01
I submitted my application back in November of 07 and have not heard anything yet. I am a Captain on the CRJ-900 and have 6300 hours TT and over 1000 hours PIC Jet.

I have corresponded with a person in HR named Abby. She told me that I would be considered for future interviews. However, I have noticed people posting recently that have gotten the call.

Is it realistic to think I may be called sometime in the future? I really want to work for Cathay but do not want to get my hopes up.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

MDDog
23rd May 2008, 04:12
Just be able to answer questions like...

"I'm a molecule of jet fuel... how do I get from the fuel truck to the tail pipe of an RB211".. :suspect:

If you start to study and prep now, maybe in a year or so you'll be ready for the interview. Seriously. :ugh:

fumes
23rd May 2008, 04:16
Mesaflying,

Is it FO or SO you applied for? When did you last speak to them? Is your 1000PIC jet on m/e above 40000kg? May be worth calling them again for an update.....

Night Watch
23rd May 2008, 04:32
MDDog

I guess it's a safe bet to say..... You didn't get the job?

fumes
23rd May 2008, 04:45
MDDog,

Load of crap.....basic ATPL and company knowledge is all you need.

flyboy007
23rd May 2008, 13:36
MDDog,

Load of crap.....basic ATPL and company knowledge is all you need.

Concur

Mesa, ignore him. Good idea to call for another update though. Good luck.

MDDog
23rd May 2008, 13:41
Nightwatch and fumes, I never applied, just going of 2nd hand info from friends who've gone thru it.

If you're a Brit, Ausie, or from NZ, I'm told it's a gentleman's interview with "basic ATPL" and company knowledge... on the other hand, if you're American or FAA licensed as Mesa is, then it's a whole different ball game.

So either, a) 3 of my friends (one of whom did get hired) were lying, or they've changed it since last year?

Good luck Mesa.

MilPilot
23rd May 2008, 14:39
Don't think people get treated that much different.

I am an FAA ATPL holder, but I also know what the JAA ATPL is all about. The CX interview process is an easy one for a JAA ATPL holder if he has kept current with his academics.
Depending on how much you studied for your FAA ATPL you will probably have to hit the books.

Of course everybody will have to study all the CX specific stuff.

Unless you have a very busy schedule you will have time to study for the interview when you get the notice.
1. Read the questions here.
2. Read Handling the big jets x 2
3. Read How to Ace the technical pilot interview (Just watch out - there are a lot of mistakes, but it takes you through most of the interesting questions) The describtions are far better in HTBJ.
4. Use Wikepedia and CXs website.

MilPilot
23rd May 2008, 15:02
By the way, I got grilled pretty good in my 1st and made it, but the areas where I had a tough time would have been fairly easy for a civilian pilot to answer.
Questions like Deicing procedures, hold over times, various deicing fluids, what to do with hold over time with precip etc.

Basic ATPL questions, but not exactly what I have been doing a lot of. I have flown in tons of snow, but normally parked in a nice warm shelter :E

Questions should be fairly easy for a line pilot though.

MDDog
23rd May 2008, 15:27
MilPilot, I think you nailed it from what I understand.

If you're a line oriented pilot who's got a lot of experience (1000's of hours PIC, what ever) and think you can go to this interview on practical daily operation knowledge, that's where you will fail. They want you to harken back to your early days of military training or what ever type training you got and get into quite a lot of theory.

That handling the big jets book btw should be required reading for anyone flying any jet. I've got an original autographed copy from the author that I got from a used book store 15 years ago.

cx252
23rd May 2008, 18:53
been searching for Handling the big jets in local bookshops and try Amazon, all running out of stocks..are there many pilots around!?1?:ugh:

MDDog
24th May 2008, 03:42
try: http://www.barterbooks.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=18928