PDA

View Full Version : Airline-specific medical standards (Emirates, Etihad, GF, QR)?

Flyer1015
22nd May 2008, 22:31
Does anyone (working at any of these four airlines) have any info regarding the airline's specific medical standards used as part of the interview process?

Perhaps a doc/pdf file?

Thanks in advance!

Panama Jack
23rd May 2008, 04:19
At Gulf Air they used to conduct the medical exam after you were hired and on property-- I think this is still the case. It is just a standard Category 1 medical, with some blood work that tests for HIV including a few other things, which is just a requirement of Bahrain CAA (which is based on JAA and British regulations) and the Immigration authorities to process your residency application.

No treadmills, resting heart-rate in a centrifuge or other Astronaut medical standards. ;)

vickers23
23rd May 2008, 12:27
If you can breathe ure in...

Flyer1015
23rd May 2008, 17:19
To be more specific, I'm wondering about hearing and eye balance (phorias).

In the USA, if you fail the audiogram in one ear, it's still okay because the examiner has you stand 6 feet away and says something in an average conversational voice. If you can hear that, you're good to go. So I fail the audiogram in one ear, but because of this 6-feet rule about hearing the doc, I am able to get a FAA 1st class medical.
But then of course, my question becomes regarding the airline specific medicals of EK, EY, QR, or GF.
Would I even stand a chance?

The other thing is I have a certain eye imbalance/phoria diopter exceedance, for which I have a SODA for. A SODA in the USA stands for Statement of Demonstrated Ability. So it works this way: if for some reason you dont meet a medical standard, you can get a SODA if you can prove that your condition does not affect you flying safely. For my case, I had to go up with a fed and prove I could basically fly. I guess you oculd call it a waiver?
But anyway, the SODA piece of paper goes along with my FAA 1st class medical piece of paper to form my 'full medical certificate.'

So that's the other problem with me. Just tryin to see if I stand a chance....

:sad:

[And in case anyone is wondering, in the USA, I fly a CRJ-200 for a Part 121 airline with no problems whatsover]

Driver of Buses
27th May 2008, 11:29
Flyer,

The GCAA set the standard for licensing in the Gulf and the companies might impose even more restrictions on the testing. So you can do one or several things as follows.

1. Contact the GCAA office and ask to speak to the medical section. Ask them about your situation and if it would prevent you from obtaining a GCAA license.

2. Contact the Aviation Medical Examiner/Doctor used by the airline and ask them.

3. Contact the Pilot Recruitment Dept of the Airline and ask them for assistance or advise.

4. Go to the interview and hope for the best come medical exam time!

Good luck and best wishes.