PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know about plum trees???

Wholigan
22nd May 2008, 19:41
Last year my sister discovered that I had 2 plum trees down the end of the garden. I didn't even know that I had plum trees, and neither did my neighbours who built this house and lived in it for 20 years or more!

Anyway, we had a good crop of plums and I thought that we had cleared them all at the end of the growing season.

Just went down the garden to see how the apples and plums were shaping up. Apples all look good and there are lots of micro apples developing nicely.

However, the plum trees have something I have never seen before, but then the last time I remember plum trees was in my parents' garden in Barking when I was about 10!

The problem looks like this .........

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/Wholigan/P5220037.jpg

They almost look like old plums that have shrivelled, but when you break them open there are just a couple of tiny seed-like things inside. They outside - as you can see - looks withered or suffering from some form of blight.

There are just a few new growths that look as though they may be the start of new plums.

Any ideas???

Say again s l o w l y
22nd May 2008, 19:57
Looks like Brown Spot, an infection.

We had it on our trees a few years ago. Have the leaves got holes in them?

tinpis
22nd May 2008, 20:52
Copper sulphate spray wholi :ok:

Its spring there innit?

tony draper
22nd May 2008, 20:57
Dunno about plum trees but I knows a ancient rhyme about trees,
The Dog the Woman the Hickory Tree
The more you beat em the better they be.
:E
oooeerr I'm off. :uhoh:

arcniz
22nd May 2008, 21:08
A bit of pruning (***3x pun points***!!!!) might help.

The more serious fruit growers one knows prune each year for shape and renewal of the fruiting wood in just about every plant variety.

Taking a fruit sample to the local agronomy expert surely would get the most informed response.

oldshuck
22nd May 2008, 21:30
Tony Hickory tree must be rhe U.S. version.

The one I know is
A dog a woman and a walnut tree

reynoldsno1
22nd May 2008, 21:39
Copper sulphate spray is regarded as being 'organic' btw, if that's important. Prune the tree so that it is 'cup-shaped', and has a clear centre - it also makes controling diease easier. ISTR plums fruit on 2 year old wood....

Radar66
22nd May 2008, 21:41
Dunno about plum trees but I knows a ancient rhyme about trees,
The Dog the Woman the Hickory Tree
The more you beat em the better they be.
oooeerr I'm off. :uhoh:

and just how fast can you run Mr Draper sire?!! :suspect:

tony draper
22nd May 2008, 21:48
oooeeer! I'm soweee Madam Radar.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/Deaddogbay/baby_animals_9.jpg
:rolleyes:

Radar66
22nd May 2008, 21:54
hrrumph..... :hmm:

;)

BlueWolf
23rd May 2008, 10:04
One is more expert with grapevines than fruit trees, it has been a long time since I had anything to do with orchards, but I'd be surprised if that was a plum in the photo.

The leaves look healthy enough, but they don't look like species prunus. That said, they don't really look like mallus either. The fruit certainly doesn't look like any kind of plum I have ever come across. I would suspect a pear or quince of some sort.

Further to that, plums are stonefruit, which have but a single large seed. If you have more than one, you're probably looking at either (A) some kind of genetic mutation, or (B) pipfruit, ie apple, pear, quince, etc.

What's more confusing is that the bearing buds look more like prunus than anything else.

The brown patches on the fruit look more fungal than bacterial, but either one, for an infestation of that magnitude, should have affected the leaves.

I'd be looking at some kind of hormonal poisoning, maybe someone spraying with something very nasty close by.

parabellum
23rd May 2008, 10:45
The guests probably peed on it at your last bash! Seriously though I agree with BlueWolf, they don't look like plums, more like figs!

DX Wombat
23rd May 2008, 12:24
Wholi's passed on his shingles. :\

airship
23rd May 2008, 13:12
On the twelfth day of Christmas,
My true love sent to me
Twelve drummers drumming,
Eleven pipers piping,
Ten lords a-leaping,
Nine ladies dancing,
Eight maids a-milking,
Seven swans a-swimming,
Six geese a-laying,
Five golden rings,
Four calling birds,
Three French hens,
Two turtle doves,
And a photo of somefink in a plum tree!

(Posted in blatant violation of original author's rights and EU regulations which state that Christmas only has 10 days since decimalisation.) ;)

Rather be Gardening
23rd May 2008, 13:35
Mr Wholi, looks like brown rot to me, although from the picture the leaves and mummified fruit look more like pears than plums. Either way, the treatments the same (courtesy fruit-growers' website):

1) Remove all remaining fruit from the tree after the final picking. This practice limits infection thus reducing the number of brown rot cankers. In addition, this practice prevents the situation where overwintered mummies within the tree would be immediately adjacent to susceptible blossoms in the spring.

(2) In spring, monitor for blossom infection and prune out any cankers and infected shoots.

(3) Prune to avoid excessive overcrowding of branches to increase air circulation, promote rapid drying, and increase light and spray penetration.

(4) Fertilize to maintain optimum nitrogen/potassium balance.

(5) Avoid dumping rotten fruit in one location, which could become the starting point for disease and insect outbreaks in the following season.

Chemical management: Fungicides are recommended generally in a protective program for a complex of diseases, including brown rot, scab, and powdery mildew. Fungicides should be applied prior to fungal infection that occurs during rain periods. Blossom infections are controlled with two or three fungicide sprays during the bloom period.

Parsnip
23rd May 2008, 14:01
I've seen this as well, it looks like brown rot (as SAS says)
spray the whole lot with captan and prune well in the autumn also give the captan another go in the early spring

Wholigan
23rd May 2008, 16:00
Thanks folks. I had a long look at them today and all the leaves are now withering.

I have decided to cut my losses and give up all hope of any sort of crop this year to enable a major treatment session of them.

I have pruned them like a mad thing (yes I know it's the wrong time really) cutting them back to next door to nothing. I have then treated all the remaining foliage and wood with an anti-fungal spray recommended by local garden centre. I have also sprayed around the roots on the ground as an ar$e covering insurance policy.

I had to do pretty much the same thing to my Bramley tree about 6 years ago and the next year I got the best crop ever. So fingers crossed the same thing happens.

Once again - ta folks. JB comes good again!!!

Wholigan
23rd May 2008, 16:30
Oh - - - nearly forgot .................... also sprayed the Bramley tree next to the plum trees as a precaution.

macdee
23rd May 2008, 16:43
Just a thought that you could have a medlar tree. These fruit are small pear shaped and are eaten when virtually rotten, that is brown flesh inside the skin. Haven't seen any for years now .

macdee

tony draper
23rd May 2008, 17:12
Actually couple on me tomato plants don't look to bonny they got some white ont leaves.
Hope its not the nation wide tomato blight,we'll all have to emigrate to the Americas.
:uhoh:

arcniz
23rd May 2008, 17:32
Success with T'matos and T'matas..... Some say it's all in the wrist.

http://www.dansonseed.com/images/Tomato%20Pictures/Tomato%20435.jpg

S'land
23rd May 2008, 17:50
One has always had a fondness for firm juicy tomatoes :E.

Wholigan
23rd May 2008, 18:18
Just a thought that you could have a medlar tree.

Nope - - definitely a victoria plum tree. We had a good crop last year. Ate most of them but still have about 15 lbs lightly stewed in the freezer.

tony draper
23rd May 2008, 18:37
Item ont news tother day re Cherry Trees apparent the last lot planted are now to big ie folks have to climb up ladders to get at the crop,so they will have to be replaced,so look to a shortage of cherries as well as petrol.
:rolleyes:

west lakes
23rd May 2008, 18:54
definitely a victoria plum tree.

Unless it's a Victoria's Secret Plum tree that's reacting to being found last year:confused:

aviate1138
24th May 2008, 22:05
This may be the answer.

"Pears are best regarded as not being self-pollinating. Some are (sort of) but almost all do better when they have a pollination partner. The variety "Conference" can form almost banana shaped fruits when self-pollinated for instance, but reverts to the usual pear shape when cross pollinated. Others varieties don't set fruit hardly at all without a pollination partner."

That would be my guess........

Wholigan
24th May 2008, 22:13
Errrrrrrr .-.-.-.-.-. ?????

What feckin' pear tree?

DX Wombat
24th May 2008, 22:26
What feckin' pear treeProbably the one you keep your partridge in. ;)

Standard Noise
25th May 2008, 19:23
Shrivelled plums Wholi? Very nasty.;)

Only thing I know about them is that when our plums went a bit funny, shewhomakesmyearsbleed cut the tree down. The silly mare.

arcniz
25th May 2008, 20:19
The silly mare cut the tree down.

A pointy warning to yerself, no doubt.