PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as a HAPPY pilot?

Kinetika
22nd May 2008, 19:03
Hi Guys:

I'm not new to the prune, i've been lurking a while, but as you can see, ive been a bit light on the posting front...

I'm planning on jacking my career of 15 years in the entertainment industry to take up the challenge of getting a job flying. I will have to go for a modular course, PPL upwards, for the sake of money, but in planning a career change at 28 and with a bit of life experience behind me, i have learned that a bit of research and some long term 'roadmap' if you like could be of some use to ensuring that certain goals are reached.

I am aware that going through the Ab Initio route at 28 will likely mean that i will be in my late 30's by the time i get a shot at flying for top level airline, from there, i will likely only ever make SFO at best.

Anyway, the point of this rambling is that in reading through the threads, it seems that the number of disgruntled aircrew far outweighs the number of people that are happy in their work.

Personally, and from the outside, i would love to be able to join EK on a cadetship and at the moment, would be happy to sell my soul to an airline (to anyone) that would be happy to pay for the training and then be just mad enough to give me a job at the end of it.

I read the posting fron Disgruntled of Doo-Buy about his EK experience, and each to his own. But the 2AM departures, wouldnt a quick check of the online timetable have cleared that little bit of research up?

The point of that was not to bash AC, but in every line of work there are high points and low points, and given the s:mad:t state of the airline industry in many parts of the world, surely the chance to work for an airline that are spending serious coin on new toys and in need of a s:mad:t load of new pilots, be an invariably good opportunity?

I am well aware of the problems inherent in living in DXB, the inflation, the rents, etc, but considering that the average ALL IN salary in the UAE for a high level manager is about 35,000 ****tas a month, then to me, the basic salary, plus flying pay, plus housing, plus transport, plus schooling seems to be an opportunity to jump at.

Perhaps that means that i represent the self paid scumbags that are just happy for an opportunity to get a job flying, and that surely is not my intention, as better pay for you = better pay for me if and when i 'get there'...

Anyway, in reference to my original question, is there such a thing as a happy pilot? Emirates / Etihad or anywhere else for that matter...

helen-damnation
23rd May 2008, 15:16
Yes, I'm happy.......

especially on days off :E

CloudSailor
23rd May 2008, 16:23
I also consider myself very happy. I did not however, get into aviation for the money, but rather for the love of flying and travel.
If you know why you're getting into it, and it's for the right reasons, you will definitely find it enjoyable, as do a lot of pilots I fly with. Those who got into it to make $300K USD and have 20 days off a month, and who are not getting that now, are typically the disgruntled. You can also check out www.airlinepilotforums.com (http://www.airlinepilotforums.com), seems like the threads are a little more positive and respectful. I'm on this forum though, because you will get more info on foreign carriers (foreign to the U.S. that is) here.
Good luck with your decision.

Panama Jack
23rd May 2008, 17:46
I guess it's a little like getting a girlfriend or getting married. If you aren't happy by yourself, don't expect someone else to make you happy either. Sure, some partners will make you absolutely miserable or even commit suicide (or homocide), but there are plenty of examples of guys who have gone through a series of highly desired trophy wives also.

Glass half full . . . half empty?

MrMachfivepointfive
23rd May 2008, 18:06
If you love flying, pulling some Gs and taking the crate upside down - forget about becoming a professional pilot. You will be frustrated by the stupidity of the job and your idiot colleagues who are just so full of themselves.
If you are 4'11'', or you have an IQ equal to the room temperature in F but long for the social standing of a heart transplant surgeon in exchange for 1% of the surgeons training - If you also don't mind a very simple machine doing a better job than you and wearing itchy shirts with 'clip on' ties- professional pilot is the job for you.

Kinetika
23rd May 2008, 19:42
:confused:

well thats killed the dream.... and here was me thinking your average T7 driver got to do 2 or 3 barrel rolls and loops per flight.....

Thanks to the rest of you however. I guess you either WANT to be a pilot and are willing to make the most of it, or you've been doing it a bit too long and the glass is now half empty...

Regards

K

cadidalhopper
24th May 2008, 11:51
social standing of a heart transplant surgeon ??????????????

What planet do you live on? Talk about being full of yourself. We drive the bus.

Homo Ludens
25th May 2008, 17:43
You drive the bus!
Others drive Boeings!
SSDD!
Good flying to all!

Wings Of Fury
25th May 2008, 19:46
MrMachfivepointfive, you can still pulling some Gs and taking the crate upside down" in your spare time as an airline pilot!

Airline flying for me was a second preference to a job "pulling some Gs and taking the crate upside down" (air force), that didn't eventuate unfortunately.

But I am happy flying a large jet for a company that pays well enough for me to one day very soon buy my own "warbird" and pull some Gs and take the crate upside down, as MrMachfivepointfive said.

What also keeps me in the job:

Airline flying- a job with a far better view than any other, far more fun than any other jobs i can think of, but as MrMachfivepointfive pointed out, it doesn't make your heart tick like some types of flying out there, BUT some airline jobs pay you well enough to do this in you time off! - If you like that! If you don't, put your money to a better use.
I know that sounds sad flying on your days/time off, but each to his own.

nolimitholdem
25th May 2008, 21:12
I'm a pilot and I had a happy ending in BKK recently, does that count?

:ok:

powerstall
26th May 2008, 01:37
uhm...misread it again, thought it was Are you a crappy pilot?... ho hum..:bored:

NZ X man
26th May 2008, 04:12
Happy in Aviation? Well how long is a piece of string, (quote).:}

Gillegan
26th May 2008, 06:12
If you love flying, pulling some Gs and taking the crate upside down - forget about becoming a professional pilot. You will be frustrated by the stupidity of the job and your idiot colleagues who are just so full of themselves.
If you are 4'11'', or you have an IQ equal to the room temperature in F but long for the social standing of a heart transplant surgeon in exchange for 1% of the surgeons training - If you also don't mind a very simple machine doing a better job than you and wearing itchy shirts with 'clip on' ties- professional pilot is the job for you.

If I'm not mistaken, Mr. Mach 5.5 works in operations at EK (not a pilot?). Indicative of an attitude towards the company's pilots?

Dixons Cider
26th May 2008, 06:44
I'm a pilot and I had a happy ending in BKK recently, does that count?

Absolutely brilliant :}:D:D

MASsenger
26th May 2008, 08:16
Kinetika, no easy way to put to you, do yourself a favor - stay off. You don`t make the cut!