PDA

View Full Version : AVG Version 8 & MS Scenery

pulse1
22nd May 2008, 13:15
I have recently upgraded my free AVG 7.5 having used it successfully for over three years. Since I downloaded Version 8, the VFR Scenery installed in Flightsim 2004 takes a very long time to load.

I restored my PC to a month ago and the scenery files loaded OK. I then upgraded to AVG 8.0 again and the problem returned.

Everything else seems to work OK. Has anyone else had any problems with AVG 8.0? Does this new version do something different to the older version which will not be supported after the end of May?

gizmocat
22nd May 2008, 19:52
FYI,

It has now been confirmed by Grisoft, that support for v7.5 will continue until the end of 2008, NOT as stated on the pop-up messages that you may get.

I have uninstalled v8 and re-installed v7.5, and speeds have recovered back to normal.

If you are experiencing system/internet slow-downs since upgrading to v8, then it's your choice, but I recommend re-installing v7.5. It will, at least, give Grisoft 7 months to sort out the issues.

Keep an eye out on their forum at :-

http://freeforum.avg.com/ (http://freeforum.avg.com/)

pulse1
22nd May 2008, 20:35
gizmocat,

Thank you very much for that advice and link. I have taken your advice and returned to AVG 7.5.

p1

NotPilotAtALL
23rd May 2008, 23:02
Hi,

My question is:

Why you need to let run the realtime protection of your antivirus when you are playing FS2004 ?
Antiviruses (any .. some are better at this than others) are real FPS eaters for FS2004.

Cheers.

Saab Dastard
24th May 2008, 12:14
Most AV programs can be set to ignore certain files and / or folders for both scheduled and on-demand scanning.

Static data like FS would be a good candidate for an "ignore" setting - after it has been scanned once, of course, and if updates and patches are applied.

I tend to have everything scanned in the daily scan, but set a lot of exceptions for on-demand scanning for performance reasons.

SD

sparkie
26th May 2008, 10:45
I used to run AVG but with support finishing I switched to Avast which is just as good if not better

www.avast.com