PDA

View Full Version : Post Flight Positioning

squeaker
22nd May 2008, 11:55
We've been given the opportunity to bend our crewing manager's ear tomorrow, and the biggest beef I have with my company (Monarch) is the lack of a policy on post flight positioning. For example, I'm operating a night RHO that gets into LGW at 0745 local, immediately followed by a taxi back to base (LTN-2hrs) and then drive myself home (luckily for me, only 10 miles, but it could be much further). The only caveat they have is that if you've done over 16 hours duty, they'll give you a local hotel or a taxi home (if less than 25 miles). All well and good, but they won't book it until you get back to base, which often means a long delay, which in turn means people often say ":mad:it" and drive home anyway.

I think my company is abdicating its duty of care to its employees with this, and would like to know how other UK Airlines (for direct comparison) treat such duties. I believe Britannia/Thomsonfly have (or had) a rule that said if you weren't back at base by 2am local, you were given hotac and positioned back the next day at a reasonable hour. What does your company do in this situation?

Please feel free to PM me if you don't want to post here, but I could do with some ammo for tomorrow, so please help me out if you can. I already intend to cite Gary Hart/Selby, but need to know how other companies do things to make a strong case.

Mr Angry from Purley
22nd May 2008, 16:50
squeaker
With respect this is not a question for the Crewing Manager, maybe DFO or HR.
Duty of care is on the radar these days because of corporate manslaughter changes. The best suggestion you can make is that the flight (if possible) is crewed by LGW crews who position to LTN (either the night before or pre flight)
so they end up in LGW home base at 0745.
Some airlines do offer hotac but it's normally after long haul. Whilst you only live 12 miles away you have to be careful that you dont "screw" your colleagues who live further away than that contracted distance / time. Duty of care works both ways of course. Even if hotac is offered it's unlikely it would be booked until the day anyway. XX rooms = lots of money to be lost if things go wrong and you end up AOG in RHO. Then you get the usual crew discussion, if i don't use the room can i get an allowance which blows the discussion apart.

The simple answer is the rostering mentioned above :\

squeaker
22nd May 2008, 20:10
I should have made that clearer perhaps, but I'm starting off from LGW having been in the hotel the day before (following a night HER). It is the general principle I'm interested in, this is just one example.
The company rules are that you have to be within 90 mins travelling time to your base, and obviously I'm less than that (my choice) but plenty of people live that far away. I don't see how that "screws" anyone though if the duties are rostered correctly? I wouldn't argue that anyone should drive themselves home, regardless of the distance, if they feel too tired.
In this case I think it would be reasonable to disallow crews from claiming hotac cancellation allowances (£24.25 in our case!) even if they elect to go straight home. That would at least absolve the company of blame if they subsequently had an accident.

What I'm really after is information on what other companies do in this situation. How would your company roster this? Hotac and taxi later, or taxi straight back after the flight?

squeaker
23rd May 2008, 07:44
Lots of views but only one reply!
Sorry to persist but I could really use some help here.
Anyone from Thomsonfly/Thomas Cook/Easy/Jet 2 etc, please let me know this am how your company rosters post flight positioning after a late/night flight?
From some posts on here I'm guessing that once your FDP is up, FR pilots are just taken out to the car park and shot;)