PDA

View Full Version : Intercontinental Airways (Gambia)

warnerbrothers
22nd May 2008, 10:00
Im not a pilot, but involved in Aviation Insurance for the last 15 years (based uk). Noticed on ATI that there is a new start-up in The Gambia with a couple of leased B73's and a B767 to attach in August for 'Intercontinental' routes to Dubai, UK, USA.

Managing Director:Captain Walter Okakpu
Chief Executive Officer: Captain Henry Ogunyemi

Would like to make contact with the senior managment to offer my services, does anyone have an e-mail address.

Thank you

WB

Gambia-track
22nd May 2008, 20:38
check out www.intercontinentalairways.eu and you can find a couple of Gambian phone numbers listed. Still looks a little shaky to me though.

warnerbrothers
23rd May 2008, 07:52
Thanks Gambia-track, "still looks shaky" - I take it there are no signs of any of their infrastructure visable at the airport yet then.

Thanks for the link..

westafricaops
24th May 2008, 16:21
This is the article that was in the local newspaper;
Wednesday, May 14, 2008Daily OBSERVER

NEW AIRLINE IN TOWN

By Musa Ndow

Intercontinental Airways Company, the latest airline in the country’s aviation industry, was yesterday launched at a press briefing held at the company’s head office, at the former NAWEC building in Fajara
Some aviation analysis described the arrival of Intercontinental Airways as timely, arguing that it would add value and help filled the gaps in air transport, both within and outside The Gambia.
Speaking at the briefing, Aziz Willan, a media consultant, said the private sector participation in air transport was the most effective way towards the attainment of an integrated and harmonized economic region.
Captain Walter Okakpu, the managing director of Intercontinental Airways, touched on some specific challenges facing the air service industry of Africa. Mr. Okakpu expressed the urgent need to connecting nation states and communities, while maintaining standard services and safety.
He described the launching as a milestone event in another Africa country, which yearns for the best for its people.
Captain Henry Ogunyemi, the chief executive officer of Intercontinental Airways, informed the ceremony that the airline would fly to different destinations, including Nigeria, Ghana, Sierra Leone, UK and the US.
Diplomats, representatives of the local media houses (print and electronic) and staff of the company, attended the launch, which was sealed with refreshments.

Henry O can also be found at www.onedotair.com (http://www.onedotair.com/). Looks to me like the Onedot name and the logo on the 767 was put there with a little help from photoshop.
With the quality of the photo in the Daily OBSERVER it is impossible to determine if it is a real photo or another creation from photoshop. No doubt it was supplied by Intercontinental.
From their web site (intercontinentalairways.eu); “$50 tickets”! Question: from where, to where and how many tickets at that price???
I hope this is not another Nigerian scam (the three named people from the article have Nigerian names) or they are not trying to ‘float’ the airline on pre-purchased ticket sales. My recommendations to the general public, “see the airplanes, for yourself, parked at the airport before buying tickets”.
Wes Afra

westafricaops
12th Jun 2008, 19:45
Anything new with these guys?
Have they started to operate yet?

Wes Afra

IFLy4Free
12th Jun 2008, 22:49
This is a non airline. The guy who thinks he is starting it is the same person who tried the deal with World Airways from the US to Lagos a few years ago. No AOC has been issued, no one has paid a visit to the GCAA. No manuals submitted, no nothing except a web site.

I spoke with someone today who is currently in Banjul, this deal is definately a non-airline.

westafricaops
13th Jun 2008, 15:33
I am currently in the States, so I am out of the West Africa intelligence loop.
I was on their web site yesterday and sent a message requesting info. They advertise 24 hour response on inquires. It has been 24 hours with no response.

I think you may be correct, IFly4Free.

Anyone else have any input?

Wes Afra

IFLy4Free
13th Jun 2008, 16:03
I KNOW I am right. The guy running this scam is a Dr F, Nigerian I believe but residing in the US. Check with the GCAA...there is no AOC issued, no manuals submitted, no nothing...

westafricaops
13th Jun 2008, 16:46
IF4F-I do not doubt you. It would just be reassuring to get some other inputs.

I think I know of Dr. F. Is he a minister? If so, I do know of him.

According to the press release, Henry O is behind Intercont. I do know him.

Are they in bed together?

Wes Afra

adrianpallett
27th Jul 2008, 10:55
You posted last month about these people There is a dicussion raging on several of the travel forum as to whether these are a scam or not have you any up to date info

IFLy4Free
27th Jul 2008, 13:17
No up to date info but no AOC has been applied for.

fixwing38
27th Jul 2008, 17:39
thinking aloud!! is'nt this the same names that bought the DASAIR aircraft from the administrators early this year??? one DC10-30F last seen in Djakarta and the other in a hangar at Manston. heresay says they have both been removed from the 5X register.and are currently stateless....not a good omen if company related......

adrianpallett
14th Aug 2008, 20:19
Ive just been looking at pictures in Nigerianpress claiming that the first Intercontinental aircraft landed at Banjul on 10th August and service will commence on 16th August first destination Freetown. The crews look a mixture of Arab and Caucasion and nothing is recognizable as Banjul Anyone know if theres any truth in this

adrianpallett
22nd Aug 2008, 01:01
Just to bring all up to date. This airline contrary to all predictions is up and running The first flight took place last Saturday to Freetown Lungi using a Mexican737 on anACMI arrangement. Still claiming they will be flying to UK very shortly.

adrianpallett
20th Jan 2009, 11:03
Does anyone have any new info on these people They did commence local flights with a Mexican 737 and more recently had a 757 on damp lease from Astraeus This aircraft completed half a dozen Hajj flights prior to commencing UK -Banjul flights but didnt fly the return journeys for fiscal reasons Their website has noe gone blank and they dont answer their phones Anyone Know anything? rgds.