PDA

View Full Version : I guess they dont like us aviators!!

Heli-phile
22nd May 2008, 05:53
Sorry if you are already aware of these fools but take a look at this website. The address is in a seriously expensive part of the City, where do they get the sort of money needed to function at all, let alone in a riverside office complex in the City of London!!!:ugh:

http://www.aef.org.uk/

ArthurR
22nd May 2008, 06:40
Just checked the web site, Did you notice that there are no mention of any names. Seems like these people prefer to remain anonimous.

wonder why?

Bushfiva
22nd May 2008, 06:52
Same address has GreenSkies, United Kingdom Noise Association, AirportWatch, Airfields Environment Trust. I think I spot a theme...

jewitts
22nd May 2008, 07:05
The same building is also home to DEFRA - UK (Environmental Protection - Noise and nuisance), Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, Greenskies (www.greenskies.org) Airportwatch (www.airportwatch.org.uk) The National Noise Helpline, Better Transport, and a number of other such organizations. Perhaps they all share one office?

rubik101
22nd May 2008, 07:33
It's entirely appropriate or perhaps a tad ironic that the view from their expensive Thameside offices is of the Tate Modern, formerly known as Bankside power station. How much 'greenhouse gas' did that chuck into the atmosphere in its 30 years of operation I wonder?

chuks
22nd May 2008, 07:59
Their website looks very well done, as if they have wealthy professionals at work on this and not "fools" at all. Okay, from our point of view, maybe, same as some of what Red Ken of blessed memory got up to, but there are probably more people on their side than on "our" side in this.

There was a recent story about some NIMBY who booked a nice sight-seeing trip over her place out in the greenbelt and then was circulating a petition against aircraft noise shortly afterwards.

Rich bastards can be remarkably selfish; their trips are fully justified when anyone else is just creating unnecessary noise and pollution.

Where is the counter-force coming from? Not from Jet Blast, that is for sure!

mark sicknote
22nd May 2008, 10:01
Glad to see their priorities have shifted from GA to commercial.

The big boys can afford to protect themselves.

Us GA types can't....shuuuuuuuuuush:}

Best,

Sicknote:ok:

PanPanYourself
22nd May 2008, 11:00
Their website looks very well done, as if they have wealthy professionals at work on this and not "fools" at all.
They just hired a freelance contractor called Jake McMurchie to design and implement their site for them. Doing this doesn't require significant wealth or intelligence.

frostbite
22nd May 2008, 12:11
Most likely funded (unknowingly) by the tax/ratepayers.

anotherthing
22nd May 2008, 15:48
Fortunately it is a well thought out and balanced web site, with sensible statements...

Britainís last mid-air collision was at Northolt in 1948.
Near misses are increasing over Britain

Destruction that many people do not understand would result: deaths on ground and in air; burning wreckage falling over wide area, possibly urban

and
Already, controllers pray that no aircraft will contact them for guidance -

and

Could emergency services cope with the horror of burns and crush injuries, some people thrown from plane, impact speeds of 300mph, 15000 foot plunges with conscious passengers at low altitude, burning wreckage raining down on urban area 4 miles square, aviation fuel fully laden burning across wide area, houses destroyed, cars smashed apart in road, road blockages, total chaos, horrific lacerations, body parts scattered?

Idiots :ugh:

innuendo
22nd May 2008, 16:45
QUOTE: Their website looks very well done, as if they have wealthy professionals at work on this and not "fools" at all.

The image of the 747 they use appears in Airliners.net and has a copyright attribution attached.
http://www.airliners.net/photo/KLM-Cargo/Boeing-747-206B(SF-SUD)/0239080&tbl=photo_info&photo_nr=6&prev_id=0027599&next_id=0163613
I wonder if they have covered copyright issues or just lifted the image without authorization?

gingernut
22nd May 2008, 16:55
Could emergency services cope with the horror of burns and crush injuries, some people thrown from plane, impact speeds of 300mph, 15000 foot plunges with conscious passengers at low altitude, burning wreckage raining down on urban area 4 miles square, aviation fuel fully laden burning across wide area, houses destroyed, cars smashed apart in road, road blockages, total chaos, horrific lacerations, body parts scattered?

Course they could, have they not seen Emmerdale?

chuks
22nd May 2008, 16:57
I didn't say that I agree with this sort of thing, just that it looks well-done!

It's a nice clean presentation and I especially like that picture showing an airliner spewing out emissions. Okay, what you see is mostly just condensation but "seeing is believing" if you don't know or care what you are seeing.

Did you know that the stuff in that picture is chemicals?Yes! Airplanes are flying around causing clouds of chemicals to form and the government is allowing this to happen, right over the heads of innocent women and children!(Okay, it is mostly the same chemicals you find in a glass of water, but never mind that now...)

brickhistory
22nd May 2008, 16:59
Chuks, no doubt your sandals are of the finest calfskin and natural rubber soles and not the hemp of the masses..............:ok:

Krystal n chips
22nd May 2008, 18:18
I see they've already written the press coverage of the event for the Mail, Excess, Sun et al then.....although I didn't see any mention of schools, orphanages or care homes.......as yet :E

brockenspectre
22nd May 2008, 18:55
I do love Wikipedia... always gives one a sense that there is so much more "out there" but at least gives the bare bones... this is what it has to say about AEF:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviation_Environment_Federation

maybe they should rebrand as NIMBYs R Us? :)

Dushan
23rd May 2008, 01:26
Did you know that the stuff in that picture is chemicals?

Yes it is the evil dihydrogenmonoxide.

Pugilistic Animus
23rd May 2008, 01:34
Or worst of all hydrogen hydroxide---terrible stuff and a major green house gas:}

Pugilistic Animus
23rd May 2008, 01:36
The big boys can afford to protect themselves.

Us GA types can't....shuuuuuuuuuush:}
you don't carry a little john?:}

airfoilmod
23rd May 2008, 03:16
There was mention made of contributions to Climate Change, is this orphans, or what, U.N.? Where might I send a check, the Mrs. and I aren't to be outdone by a load of Brits.

Airfoil

mixture
23rd May 2008, 07:39
Seems like these people prefer to remain anonimous

It's amazing what you can do with Google these days ArthurR .... :cool:

Tim Johnson is the Director of the London-based Aviation Environment Federation and is the official observer at the ICAO Montreal meeting on behalf of a coalition of European and US environmental NGO's and public policy think tanks, the International Coalition for Sustainable Aviation. He can be reached on: +44 (0)207 248 2223 or by e-mail: [email protected]

(all the above straight off the bottom of one of their press releases .... http://www.greenskies.org/news/detail.php?art_id=56)

let alone in a riverside office complex in the City of London

They seem to have a penchant for the City of London river views, they used to be based in a building in High Timber Street, also EC4.

(Thanks again Google ;))