PDA

View Full Version : Air Niugini to get 747s

Maisk Rotum
22nd May 2008, 03:53
Nonstop Australian demand = nonstop Sydney-PNG services
Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Air NIugini Team - Trish, Amy, Helen, Rose

CHarles Morley
Air Niugini staff and associates celebrated the launch of a direct service between Sydney and Port Moresby on Monday night at the Australian Museum, in a bid to enhance the strong relationship between Australia and Papua New Guinea.

Cast against the stunning 1920s images captured by Frank Hurley in Papua New Guinea, cocktails and canapés were enjoyed by a wide range of travel industry professionals.

The potent images were reminiscent of a culture steeped in historic traditions, one which, several natives of Papua New Guinea that were present claimed, is still very much prevalent in the nation today.

The evening reflected the significance of the Air Niugini staff to its recent expansion, as Charles Morley, Australian Manager explained that for the airline, its “strength is in its people.”

Australians enjoy domination over the market share of Papua New Guinea tourist arrivals, as Air Niugini chief executive officer Wasantha Kumarasiri said in a statement.

“These additional flights will enhance tourism opportunities and provide more travel options to potential tourists”, he added.

The new service will enable passengers to fly directly from Port Moresby to Sydney, on a twice weekly schedule.

The flights are located to allow optimum weekend travel, operating on Fridays and Sundays from Port Moresby, and Saturdays and Mondays from Sydney.

Charles Morley, Australian Manager

Colin Lyttle, GM Marketing Air Niugini

Colin Lyttle,General Marketing Manager for Air Niugini
Describing the offerings of Papua New Guinea as a “truly unique product”, Shannon Hannaford from the PNG Tourism Promotion Authority commented that the improved services would allow better “entry into the world of the unexpected.”

Continuing expansion is on the agenda for Air Niugini, as Kumarasiri also commented that depending on the demand for the new services, the airline will seek to increase frequencies of the service.

Australian demand will also be supplemented by the introduction of a Brisbane – Port Moresby direct service, to operate on Saturdays and Mondays.

The aircraft that Air Niugini are utilising to service the new routes is the Embraer 190, leased from Australian company Sky Air World.

The 94 seater jet features 10 business class seats, and according to Kumarasiri, “It is an ideal aircraft with lower operating costs and impressive mission performance.”

It is an exciting time for Air Niugini, as General Manager Marketing Colin Lyttle, pointed out, noting that the arrival of the first flagship 747 and the future order of a 787 reflected the commitment from the government to the infrastructure of the airline.

Grahame from Tantalus, Dale and Michael Corbett, PNG Tourism

FoxtrotAlpha18
22nd May 2008, 03:58
It is an exciting time for Air Niugini, as General Manager Marketing Colin Lyttle, pointed out, noting that the arrival of the first flagship 747 and the future order of a 787 reflected the commitment from the government to the infrastructure of the airline.

He means 767 perhaps?

apacau
22nd May 2008, 03:58
I think he meant 767...

apacau
22nd May 2008, 04:00
ooh beat me by a whisker FA18...

Casper
22nd May 2008, 04:02
You might find that 787 is not incorrect - at the planning stage, anyway.

Nil Ident
22nd May 2008, 17:15
" Entry to the land of the Unexpected''-You better believe it!!

Skystar320
22nd May 2008, 23:16
Come on guys look at the picture...... they are obtaining ex Oasis / Singapore Airlines Boeing 747-412 aircraft......... x 2

That will look pretty flast with their colour scheme

DingoMuddy
23rd May 2008, 00:23
What picture is it. 1st I've heard of 747's joining the fleet. Suppose it will operate POM/LAE. Makes about as much sense as the rest of this tripe.

Think the statement was meant to be 767 with passing mention of the fanciful 787s somewhere down the track.

1st flagship 767 replacing the previous 1st flagship 767 which departed last August. New record for delay....9 months!!!!!!!!!!!!

hongkongfooey
23rd May 2008, 00:48
Gotta say, I always have a chuckle when taxiing past the PX lease a/c in Honkers.................." FLY WHITE " :}

faheel
23rd May 2008, 11:52
Geez, oil going thru the roof and these plonkers lease 747's !
Any money they have managed to make over the last couple of years (if any) will be blown in the first 6 months of flying these things :mad:
But hey its standard for Pixi :ok:

Lord Flashhart
24th May 2008, 05:20
Sorry guys, you got it wrong- it was 748's (HS748s):E

Eastwest Loco
24th May 2008, 09:22
Hmmm. Pixie appears to have trouble paying the leases on current aeroplanes.

How on earth are the going to pick up the bill on a 787???

It is not like there is a huge growth potential in their market, and Aussies would put themselves at significant risk just visiting a country that sucks multi million dollar lumps of cash out us just by walking down the street.

Dangerous place, and the millions could best go to Aussie hospital systems.

Best all

EWL

greenslopes
24th May 2008, 10:10
Laugh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I nearly shat!
The day png get 747;s is the day i get a full head O' hair

Wings Of Fury
24th May 2008, 19:56
Maybe they will cross-hire one of Jetstars!! :} (If they ever get them!)

Next they will be placing an order for a couple of A380s!! :rolleyes:

tail wheel
24th May 2008, 22:20
Suspected this thread was tok gamin but found the article here (http://www.etravelblackboard.com/showarticle.asp?nav=2&id=77859).

Amazing.

INTERESTED BYSTANDER
25th May 2008, 00:40
I get pretty tired of all the knocking that goes on in these threads. At the risk of being criticised I would like to make some points which I feel very strongly about.
As far as Air Niugini is concerned they may have some shortcomings but from what I have seen compared to MOST operators in Australia they treat their pilots very well as far as remuneration and conditions are concerned.
Also as far as PNG in general the majority of the people are a beautiful race only marred by the few rascals who seem to get all the publicity. Stop and think what Australia would be like without a welfare system. All the noise made about the down side of the country - sit up and look at the crime that happens in your backyard on a daily basis.
All that is needed is a bit of common sense when visiting PNG, having travelled up there in January with a party of 14 family members we did not feel threatened at all and hopefully we will be going back many times in the future to visit our wonderful new friends and family. Over to the knockers.
:=::=

NewZealand2
25th May 2008, 10:05
For crying out loud people! :zzz:
DingoMuddy is correct, 1st flagship 767 replacing the previous 767 on lease from NZ.
It was either a typo in the article, or the reporter heard wrong. And if you read it carefully, it suggests PX has recently taken delivery of its first flagship 747. Clearly they haven't. They mean the recently delivered 767 P2-ANA ex. TF-LLA.
Simple as that.

As far as the 787 goes...PX are serious about getting them.

EDIT: added the bold

Torres
25th May 2008, 12:02
INTERESTED BYSTANDER.

Love your post! :ok:

"...having travelled up there in January with a party of 14 family members..."

Always appreciate opinions from instant experts on PNG affairs! :ok:

"I get pretty tired of all the knocking that goes on in these threads."

That probably demonstrates how little you really know about PNG and the people of all races that live there!

I only lived in PNG for twenty three years. I was there when the first Air Niugini flight departed Port Moresby in November 1973 and in September 1975 when the National Flag was raised for the first time.

And in case you may think I am racist, my eldest daughter who I love dearly, is adopted. Her biological mother is Papuan from Hanuabada and father from Wewak. Many that post here would remember my daughter as a child at the Talair Mess in Goroka many years ago. She has a sun tan you would not believe but she is my daughter, my family! :}

And my other three biological white kids were also born in PNG, my eldest in Port Moresby (now a pilot with Qantas), next two in Goroka. The Torres family comes in all colours!! :ok:

This forum if full of guys and their families who have given much, if not most of their working life to the development of PNG and PNG aviation. Sharpie; Hanoi; Tinpis; Chimbu Warrior; Chimbu Chuckles; Pinky; Animal Club; Troppo; PNGAir; sixtiesrelic; mauswara; bulolobob; 2 Dogs; Taildragger; Waghi Warrior; DingoMuddy; OzExpat; TAU MATAMATA (can you translate that to English?); Maxii; yerex; Cried Havoc; and many more, not to mention many mates who gave their life before their time to the development of aviation in PNG over the past 87 years.

What ever each of our personal motivation in going to that country, undeniable we all contributed to what PNG is today.

I congratulate you on becoming part of a PNG Highlands family by marriage, but many here are part of a far wider family of PNG aviation, who collectively have hundreds of years PNG experience and collectively hundreds of thousands of hours of PNG flying. We are not racist - indeed, we probably understand PNG, it's people, culture and languages slightly better than you ever will! :=

We live in the real World - we are not idealists! I'm sure we all wish Air Niugini every success but history indicates they will continue to make the same mistakes they have for over thirty years.

"Over to the knockers."

Nope. Not interesting in "knocking" you! I am interested in and respect your opinion, but I don't think you have the right to chastise those of us who have given most of our lives to the development of, and service to Papua New Guinea.

Torres

P.S. I also spent eighteen years in Tasmania - had my first flying lessons at the Aero Club at Cambridge in a DHC1 Chippie!! And one of PNG's finest pilots (TAL, Mandated, Ansett and Pixie) started his 35,000 hour flying career as a Timpanist with the Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra! :ok:

Moniker
25th May 2008, 19:34
I remember when ANA was a fokker! :}

Torres what a great post!

Another of our longer term posters has recently made his way up there as well .. hoping that all is going well for him and his family .. onya Disco .. !!

Old 'Un
25th May 2008, 20:54
Well said, Torres :ok: Never been to PNG, but would love to. Now added to my "to do" list.

Le Vieux

INTERESTED BYSTANDER
25th May 2008, 21:36
I don't claim to be an expert on PNG affairs just giving my honest opinion. I have only had interests in the country for nearly 20 years one way or another.
Also I don't remember saying I was part of a Highlands family by marriage where did you get that idea?
Following our visit earlier this year several of our party are arranging to sponsor some of the children we met. We are also looking at ways in which we can help create a new industry in that country to benefit the people we met, at our expense, and if successful all the benefits will go to the people involved in the project. So I think I can claim to have as much respect for these wonderful people as the next person.
PS I have spent 66 years in Tasmania.

Torres
25th May 2008, 21:36
Moniker.

Not Disco Stu aka Tipsy.......? :confused:

INTERESTED BYSTANDER

My sincere apologies - I obviously misinterpreted your post of 22 January, 2008:

"Being closely related to the groom at the Mt Hagen wedding on 12 January I thank Waghi Warrior for making mention of what has been one of the most amazing experiences of my family's lives.
The bride is the most wonderful, honest, thoughtful lady we could ever hope to have as a member of our family. We will never forget the welcome we received into her family and the people of the village and we look forward to making many more visits in the future.
We are so honoured to be accepted into the family."

66 years! Sir, you have my respect! I escaped to the Mainland (and eventually on to PNG) as soon as I saved the ferry fare on The Princess, when I left high school! :}

Sharpie
26th May 2008, 12:16
Well said Torres and duplicates my feelings exactly.

I only spent 37 years there as you know, been away for five years apart from the odd night passing through to reunions or Aoteroa once a year. Hmmmn must go back again this year for a quick visit, see if Wycho is still standing under the 'cone of silence', find out who is running the Yottie and have another go at winning 'the joker', drink a few SP's and tell a few lies. Great fun. Where is my foredeck hand, Chuckles?

SHAGGS
27th May 2008, 03:52
The real story is that PX are really getting a 747 to be based at Chimbu. They will also be operating out of Tari, so that the Huli Wigman can fly down to Moresby (In their thousands) to collect their compensation claims.

Now time for a few white tins !

Emtasol.

DingoMuddy
27th May 2008, 05:39
Shaggs,

Not quite right. I read in today's enlightening Post Courier, or was it the National, that PX has agreed to commence servicing the Highlands ex Madang after the demise of Airlink about 12 months ago. therefore assume the 747 will be based Madang, not Chimbu as you speculate.

Either way, a few more white tins are called for!

NiceoneHoskins!
27th May 2008, 13:22
Nice intentions ....But you're gonna blow your money, mate !

Better to donate it to the Ex - Kiunga Ho Chi Minh Trail Drunkards Club who'll see it well spent !

splat72
2nd Jun 2008, 13:13
Torres

I had to ask the wife this one but I believe the translation of Tau Matamata is "New Man".

Splat

TAU MATAMATA
2nd Jun 2008, 19:49
Young man:)

Torres
2nd Jun 2008, 21:24
Literally: Tau = man; Matamata = new

Colloquially: "Young man"

Motu.

TAU MATAMATA
2nd Jun 2008, 21:54
Momokani!:D

Waghi Warrior
24th Jun 2008, 09:29
Latest at PX is that they now have a new Dash 8 Fleet Captain. No disrespect to the last fella who was in the chair, but I recon this is a positive move for all concerned. Good luck Rocket ! I'm sure you will be welcomed ! :ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

Maisk Rotum
25th Jun 2008, 03:39
Is that rocket Rod?

SHAGGS
25th Jun 2008, 06:30
Em now !
It sure is our Rod !

tipsy2
24th Jul 2008, 02:40
Moniker & Torres

I can confirm my return to the "Land of the Unexpected".

I only did so to keep Ozex in check and besides I find Orstralian aviation is a bit boring these days, PNG certainly is not.

tipsy

OzExpat
26th Jul 2008, 13:30
Keep ME in check?
Here was me thinking that the whole idea was to keep us both in... saki! :}

The Voice
26th Jul 2008, 21:51
:bored: you 2 together, in the one place, all week?

tipsy2
27th Jul 2008, 00:31
Looks like the anaesthetic has worn off.

Hey there TV, we behave ourselves;)

Occasionally:D

tipsy:ok:

the wizard of auz
27th Jul 2008, 13:18
Don't believe them. they spend all their time drinking Saki and then hassling me via SMS. I hope you pair choke on ya raw fish and brake fluid while I bust me hump in the desert. :}

balus
29th Jul 2008, 06:50
Man I'm only new boy ****, I only spent 12 years there, my wife spent a lot longer :ok:

Could you imagine a 747 sized PX 1 Oh Late?

DHC8 Driver
29th Jul 2008, 07:04
PX now has a Dash 8 based in madang. It operates daily to Vanimo, Wewak, Goroka and Hagen. So pretty much exactly what Airlink was doing. Crews rotate from POM on about a five day stretch.

balus
29th Jul 2008, 09:08
I remember 2 F-28's mated in Madang, one trying to start the other - the hose broke, the engine stalled and then there were 2 F-28's stuck in Madang :) Sorry mentioning Madang reminded me of it

BlunderBus
29th Jul 2008, 11:25
747 or not..I worked for ANG for a few years and it was the most fun I've had (after Talair) and a great airline to work for...who cares about the money..just to go flying with some of the funniest,most colourful characters on the planet made it all worth while..the hosties are renowned for the way they'd look after the pax on intl ops...try getting a dozen coldies off a QF bird after dinner! We didn't crash and the ft. ops boys were always on for a beer with the troops...when was the last time YOUR management did that!
Folks like 'Splash' 'Sharpie' 'Grunge' 'Witcho' 'Vinnie' 'Tim..rip' and a host of others made it the best game in town..thanks boys....the dough was ok..not bad at all really and they never had a dispute that fired ALL the domestic pilots or took a dump on conditions ala QF..or undermined the staff with low cost carriers...take a poke at PNG..but I still go back and it's fun....and the people that lived and worked there will probably say 'it was the best time of my life'
'The Donga from Tonga'
p.s. Torres was that you running around the Talair mess in your black speedos(banana hammock)?...nearly put me off my bik pela bikkies and ox and palm! :)

sky surfer
29th Jul 2008, 23:38
Blunder Bus

If PX was that good why did you leave?...:confused:

Animalclub
30th Jul 2008, 01:59
Most likely, like a good many others, he got "localised"!!!

balus
31st Jul 2008, 09:05
"try getting a dozen coldies of a QF bird after dinner!"

hehe, having been SLF on many an international PX run I can relate to this comment. And yes there were some colourful hosties, both male and female and a few in between :) Joseph/ine comes to mind..... Sitting in row 12 on an F28 to CNS and being slipped a couple of white cans as the trolley left the "galley" just to tide you over was pricless and quite common. On my last PX flight out of POM my niece was one of the hosties, needless to say we were well looked after :)

Yes the domestic flights were often late or completely cancelled, yes a trip to the toilet on a domestic was usually not a good idea, but as SLF I wouldn't have missed it for the world!

Torres
31st Jul 2008, 09:22
Blunderbus. No way I'd run around the Talair Mess in my nickers when I was sober. Fortunately that wasn't very often! :}

"The Donga from Tonga"....... If that is the clue, I often wondered where you'd gone - and I wish you nothing but the best, Mate. You were one of the best - anyone that could load nine Tongans in that sad old Bongo Van and defy gravity, deserves admiration! In case you forget, the lightest was ... nah, my lips are sealed!

Great memories. Wish ya well!!!

:} :} :} :} :} :}

BlunderBus
2nd Aug 2008, 17:46
Hey Torres..
Thanks..it was a blast!..I flew full power to Ha'apai once(100miles) and never got above 1200'..ahhh the unbridled thrust of a 260 islander just makes my bollocks get tight...
I think all of us that have PNG in the blood will forever relive the old days and hold onto the fantastic friendships forged in that marvellous proving ground.
Hope all is well with you and yours and hope to catch up at the next reunion..
p.s. mipela wokim balus long cx..

and for sky surfer...went to QF on the 747 then CX...just moved on after 8.5 years...but i'll never forget it!

Chimbu chuckles
2nd Aug 2008, 18:37
A Dash based in Madang!

That would be heaven. A return to the days when they had F27s based all over the joint...well Madang, Lae and Rabaul anyway.

Good move PX:ok:

I could never work out why everything ended up being based in Port Moresby in the first place.

I second BB's sentiments 100%. Best years of my life were spent flying in PNG...PX ran a close second to Talair and then Airlink when we were based in Rabaul before Tuvurvur ended that little dreamtime.

Sharpie you still coming sailing here later in the year?

Sharpie
3rd Aug 2008, 06:04
Chuckles sadly NO! will send an email.

YT has accepted a position as mlo/safety in bkk with SS. Leave by Cebu Pacific Monday evening. May just get down that way later.
the bkk bar hopper!:):)

yerex
4th Aug 2008, 08:19
Congrats on the appointment, who are SS?

balus
4th Aug 2008, 09:14
"then Airlink when we were based in Rabaul before Tuvurvur ended that little dreamtime."

That would be time of young Col Bubner - I remember having a chat with him just after he sold Airlink, I asked him where he was living - his reply 3rd coconut tree up from the Ralum club :)

I was in Rabaul the week before the eruptions and then again in late 2001 - Tavurvur was still throwing rocks out the size of houses.

GoGirl
4th Aug 2008, 22:15
Gee .... Whiz you only get sms's hun?

So, what do I do to desreve the pissy phone calls from them from Ichizen every Friday night? :rolleyes:

And then....'honey, we got pulled over - but's it's ok, there's 2 of us, so please don't be worried, they wont kill us because there's a witness'

Yep, life in PNG......have lunch money, will travel lol!!!

GG xx

OzExpat
6th Aug 2008, 06:41
Yep, and the thing that always makes me laugh so much is that they're asking for "lunch money" at night time!

the wizard of auz
6th Aug 2008, 13:37
I reckon you get phone calls and I get SMS's because one of them has seen you nekid, and there for worthy of more expenditure to remain in the good books for a repeat performance.
I just get SMS's because they know I am a 1000Ks from the nearest Japanese resty, and they wanna rub it in.
I get the last laugh though............. I broke Stu's paintings and got away with it. :E
I bet I would get an invite to Macca's though...... just for entertainment value.:ooh: