PDA

View Full Version : Pardon the loud noise, Captain again

punkalouver
22nd May 2008, 00:09
Never in Europe and only in America you say.....

http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=19675

On boarding the gun of a policeman, traveling as passenger, accidentally went off when it was given to the captain. A hole was produced in fuselage of the ATR and a passenger plane parked next to it also received some damage (Hapag Lloyd 737).

F18Aviator
22nd May 2008, 00:25
What i dont get is how a policeman got through customs, everyone should be checked, just cause he was a policeman doesnt mean that he isnt capable of a Terrorist attack!!!

Huck
22nd May 2008, 01:54
Never mind. Life's too short.

Dream Land
22nd May 2008, 02:16
On boarding the gun of a policeman, traveling as passenger, accidentally went off when it was given to the captain. A hole was produced in fuselage of the ATR and a passenger plane parked next to it also received some damage (Hapag Lloyd 737).Calling the grammar police. :E

rubik101
22nd May 2008, 06:56
The tool of my trade is my aircraft, his is a gun. I am not allowed to bring a bottle of water with me when I go to work, he can carry his loaded gun? Bonkers, stupid, cheap political posturing, even inappropriate spring to mind.
This saga will run and run and nothing we say will ever change the ridiculous situation, sadly.

cwatters
22nd May 2008, 07:54
What's an untrained captain meant to do if asked to handle/store a gun?

KiloMikePapa
22nd May 2008, 08:01
Padlock it and put it in a TSA-approved holster? :}:rolleyes:

What amazes me is that lots of guns seem to have bullets loaded in the chamber when the gun should have been checked for safety before handling. Nice to know these people know how to handle their equipment :{

ironbutt57
22nd May 2008, 08:26
My thoughts exactly, why have a round chambered in this situation??...

Dani
22nd May 2008, 08:54
I'm pretty sure that this policeman never went true security check, just went straight to the aircraft...

bubbers44
22nd May 2008, 11:55
Passengers now hand guns to captains when boarding an aircraft? Things have changed in the past 5 years. What if the captain, he or she, doesn't know how to handle a gun and doesn't want to?

AKAAB
22nd May 2008, 14:39
Probably just another Euro-Cowboy playing with his gun.

I bet he knows all the words to All My Ex's Live in Texas. :\

Seriously, I'm glad no one was hurt.

Yee-Haw!

Life's a Beech
22nd May 2008, 23:19
As said, this is a ridiculous situation on all levels.

For those that have never been taught range safety just treat it like a propeller - always assumed live until you have checked and proved otherwise. If you are given any firearm you must clear it. Standard practice in weapon handling. Before handing over a weapon you clear it, on first accepting a weapon, clear it (so the fact there is no round in the chamber should be proved twice on every handover). If you don't know how to do so, either ask the person passing it to show you or refuse the weapon.

Have taken rifles and shotguns on board for pax. Knew how to handle the former, and fortunately the later were in bits so a quick glance in the case was enough to prove they were not an imminent risk!

Admiral346
23rd May 2008, 00:08
This:

the fact there is no round in the chamber should be proved twice on every handover

is very good advise, I will keep it in mind and follow it from now on.

Thanks,
Nic

cwatters
23rd May 2008, 06:41
> For those that have never been taught range safety just treat it like a
> propeller - always assumed live until you have checked and proved
> otherwise. If you are given any firearm you must clear it. Standard practice
> in weapon handling. Before handing over a weapon you clear it, on first
> accepting a weapon, clear it (so the fact there is no round in the chamber
> should be proved twice on every handover). If you don't know how to do
> so, either ask the person passing it to show you or refuse the weapon.

That matches what I was taught many years ago but what if you have never handled a gun before and know nothing of such basic proceedures? (Nobody ever does that in the movies :-) Are all pilots taught at least this?

DonLeslie
23rd May 2008, 08:17
This:

Quote:
the fact there is no round in the chamber should be proved twice on every handover
is very good advise, I will keep it in mind and follow it from now on.My thoughts exactely. I've hardly ever seen a security officer's weapon properly checked, but instead mostly trusted to be unloaded and accepted onto the flight deck. Never again.

Cheers,
DL

CityofFlight
23rd May 2008, 23:16
Other than air marshalls and authorized Flight Crew, perhaps the solution could be borrowed from of portion of the air cargo industry...all fire arms with licensed to carry SLF, should be handed over to the Capt in an inoperable manner, whether that means removing clips, rounds, minor disassembling. I have to believe that TSA screens these people, therefore they should (could) be screening for making the fire arm inoperable from that point forward.

Just a thought, centered around safety...Please feel free to move about the cabin...:)

Viking101
23rd May 2008, 23:28
They should try our shoes we are wearing. And they are all scan proof too, as you all surely have experienced :}

I am not talking about using it like a strike tool, just take it off and expose the sweet odeur :cool:

No need for our crasch axe either :ok: