PDA

View Full Version : The Champions League Final, Moscow 2008

helimutt
21st May 2008, 22:37
How boring and bunch of prima donnas.
I hear Ronaldo is joining the Olympic diving team?

Snappybits
21st May 2008, 23:00
and he would win GOLD:ugh:

Radar66
21st May 2008, 23:04
helly belly - mister football fan here was upstairs ppruning 15 mins before the match end - before the penalties - tat alone reinforced my opinion that footy is boring and full of namby pambies that are being paid a wage that our forces should be paid....

cue heavy ranting 'pprune polickticky hamster thread'..... :E

Parapunter
21st May 2008, 23:04
If you don't like it, don't watch! Alternatively, you can come on here and whinge about how the game ain't what it used to be. Clueless luddites. And I don't even support either team!

Well done reds, unlucky Chelsea, you had the measure of the 2nd period, but not the rub of the green.

BRL
21st May 2008, 23:15
See the anti-football brigade are out so use this one instead to comment on tonights game.

Watched most of the match and thought it was pretty even. Shame it went to penalities but there has to be winner at the end. Unfortunately it was Utd. :(

Thought Drogba would have known better and it looks like his last game for them. I wonder now how many others will leave in the summer with the likes of Lampard rumoured to be going to Spain.

I thought that Ferdinand 'kung-fu' challenge was a penalty, what was the ref looking at, surely should have given something for dangerous play.....

Anyhow, gutted the mancs won, how smug will they be next season..... :(

Radar66
21st May 2008, 23:20
oi parapunter!! i wasn't fecking watching it!! :}

Snappybits
21st May 2008, 23:27
I was:ugh::ugh::ugh:and gutted Chelsea didn't win.

Avitor
21st May 2008, 23:31
A wonderful example of English Premier league football. 100% application given all round.
Marks out of ten for the referee..... 8.

Overdrive
21st May 2008, 23:36
I thought it was a good game, well fought, some good play. The diving and antics were less than I expected (which I hope was well noted around the rest of Europe).

Hard to separate them through the 120 minutes, so penalties were fitting in a way, and the standard of pens. was high. Second half, that was about the most sustained attacking I've seen from Chelsea all season, had United all over the place... makes you wonder how the league may've been if they'd produced more of it (not that I support either of the wallet teams).

Parapunter
21st May 2008, 23:38
The most die hard football hater wouldbe hard pushed to say that match didn't catch fire, it had a little of everything and yet we still hear the same old weeping & wailing about divers & prima-donnas.

Tonight was a top drawer, first class advert for English football, the premier league & sporting contests. I'm a spurs fan & I feel thoroughly entertained - apart from manyoo winning of course.

Radar66
21st May 2008, 23:50
See the anti-football brigade are out so use this one instead to comment on tonights game.

sorry.... :uhoh:

Forkandles
22nd May 2008, 00:05
Thought tonight was going to be a borefest after all the hype, but it turned out to be a nail biter right 'til the end!

Being a red and a manc, it was obviously the best team that won and no, I don't feel sorry for John Terry. I thought he was a tool before tonight and I still do. The only Chelsea player who has gone up in my estimation, (and I'm sure he's grateful for the that!) is Frank Lump-o-lard. I've always had the feeling he was a tool as well, but he was very gracious in defeat and I'm sure with the couple of weeks he's had, it isn't the most important thing in the world.

Anyway, well done the lads! :D

Rob Courtney
22nd May 2008, 00:17
Well done the reds, right result in the end (I would say that though) but no one deserves to lose on penaltys (except maybe Liverpool!!)

Got to say from what I saw of the supporters they were a credit to the country, no problems and amazingly having a laugh with the local police as well

Anyway the cups coming back to where it belongs for another year.

jb2_86_uk
22nd May 2008, 01:06
10/10 here also.

Not a big football fan at all, i like it when my local team, Sheffield United, do well, but I wont moan when they dont!

Thoroughly enjoyed the game and think it was a very even match. Chelsea were unlucky with those two shots that hit the posts - but if they dont end up in the back of the net they dont count for sh*t.

Being a yorkshire lad, i was (quietly) supporting Man U - being geographically closer an what not, So I am happy that my 24 hours as a Man U fan has ended in delight.

Now roll-on the Monaco GP this weekend - thats MY sport!

JB

Re-entry
22nd May 2008, 01:16
Damn, when I saw champions league as the title I thought this was about a sport.

Then I saw it was about football. (disappointed!)

If you want to see champion sport, watch the final of the hamburg masters tennis. Nadal vs. Federer obviously, and once again Nadal edged it.

That is sport.

And they never hit or kicked each other.

Krystal n chips
22nd May 2008, 05:33
:ugh: A nice little clip showing the sub intellectually challenged enjoying themselves.....and no doubt there were a few thousand more here in the UK doing the same :E

Freely admit to being a part of the "don't like football" brigade...and last nights BBC local news showed why.....more features on the game than on local news....why FFS ?.....and the shot of a choir singing the praises of Man Utd sort of summated how many have been consumed by the new religion rather neatly....albeit I don't think that was the intention.

And once the celerations have finished......just "think" how much so many will happily shell out for some overpriced strip...the mind boggles :ugh:

Dumbed down Britain at it's finest !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7413970.stm

TractorBoy
22nd May 2008, 08:51
The two teams playing were ones I don't particularily like, but well done Man U. At least that cheating *** Drogba got his comeuppance, and probably cost Chelsea the cup. Apparently, he was supposed to be the 5th penalty taker, not Terry !!!!:D

IB4138
22nd May 2008, 09:32
how smug will they be next season

We don't have to wait tell then! :)

The cheating blue rent boys of West London and their supporters got their comeuppance last night.

:D

Their fans can't even lose with grace:

in west London, Chelsea fans were baton-charged by police after angry scenes not far from the Blue's Stamford Bridge ground.

Twelve people were later arrested on suspicion of committing public disorder offences when a crowd of around 200 fans gathered near Fulham Broadway Tube station.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "Shortly after the match ended, some people became noisy and abusive and bottles and street furniture were thrown."

per Sky News.

Alloa Akbar
22nd May 2008, 09:34
As a Jock I was a neutral observer last night.. well almost!!

Great game, as has been said here, it had a bit of everything.. but the best bit was watching that arrogant over-rated and over-paid toss pot of a Chelsea Captain slam his spot kick into the timber.. him and Drogba?? Couldn't have happened to nicer guys!!

As for Makalele - Had he been on the "Tennents Special" before the game?? he could have picked a fight in an empty room last night:rolleyes:

Parapunter
22nd May 2008, 10:13
One thing that goes unnoticed is how dirty Cavallho is - he nearly bust Ronaldo's leg last night & got away with it & I've seen him elbows high in plenty of games through the season. There's a difference between being hard & being dangerous.

Mariner9
22nd May 2008, 10:39
As a neutral Evertonian (I know :ouch::ok:) I watched all bar the 1st 20 mins (Mrs M9 insisted on watching the Chelsea Flower show :rolleyes:), thought the game was OK but not the "Exhibition of English football at its best" that the media tried to portray.

Was convinced that ManU were going to pay for missing those chances in the 1st half, but ultimately I think they just about deserved their victory despite a hugely improved 2nd half by Chelski.

Big Tudor
22nd May 2008, 10:49
One thing that goes unnoticed is how dirty Cavallho is
It was certainly noticed by the scousers during the last Liverpool game when he punched Torres. Surprisingly the referee was looking the other way. :hmm:
Not being a fan of either team I thought last nights game was a worthy final, probably not the best ever but far from being the worst. And how nice it was to see English football teams fielding a reasonably healthy number of English players (and a few natives from the colonised areas of the UK as well :E). Certainly more than if Le Arsenal had been there.
Heard the standard response from a lot of scousers this morning "still 2 behind us". Yes my little Liverpool friends, but in recent years Man Utd have closed the gap to 1 behind in league titles and 2 behind in European Cups. And the only change I can see on that score is in favour of MUFC.

Forkandles
22nd May 2008, 10:49
"We are the best in the world! We are best in the world! We have beaten The Rent Boys 6-5 in penalties!! It is completely unbelievable! We have beaten Chelski! Chelski, the home of faggots. John Terry, Frank Lumpolard, Joe Cole, Ashley Cole, Nicolas Anelka, Didier Drogba, Avram Grant -- we have beaten them all. We have beaten them all. Roman Abramovich can you hear me?"

"Roman Abramovich, I have a message to you after trying to buy the Premier League. I have a message to you: We have knocked your Rent Boys out of the European Cup of football. Roman Abramovich, as they say in the gay bars around the Fulham Road in Chelski: Your boys took one hell of a beating! Your boys took one hell of a beating!"

:E

Effluent Man
22nd May 2008, 10:52
Another neutral (Norwich City) I enjoyed the game immensely.The penalties were really the highlight and the twists of first Ronaldo missing,then the Terry miss just added to the drama.I was in a pub and as Anelka walked up something told me he was going to miss.I turned to the chelsea supporter beside me and told him. As it was the save was good from Van Der Sar.If you get the chance watch again Anelka's walk to the spot.I don't really believe in body language,maybe they just had the heart knocked out of them by the Terry miss.

acmi48
22nd May 2008, 10:55
i feel asleep in extra time....

oh dear

Curious Pax
22nd May 2008, 11:10
I think there are some on here who would be claiming it was boring if it had been 10-9 after 90 minutes!! United supporter so v happy with the result, but Chelsea certainly had the chance to win it. Though United shaded it on their first half performance, it was ultimately pretty equal, and a country mile better than when they met in the FA Cup final. Finals are never of massive quality due to the extra pressures involved, but compared to most this was pretty good.

barry lloyd
22nd May 2008, 11:15
Thought the game was OK, but not a great advert for British football after all the hype. Several yellow cards, handbags, and one red card.
Imagine that a large broom will be seen at Stamford Bridge in the coming weeks. I wonder who'll take Drogba?

skydriller
22nd May 2008, 11:21
I dont do football, so can someone explain to me why two English clubs are playing an important match in Russia?:confused:

Big Tudor
22nd May 2008, 11:24
why two English clubs are playing an important match in Russia?
Cos UEFA are the only organisation in the world that considers Russia as part of Europe, apart from the organisers of the Eurovision Song Contest.

Lydia Dustbin
22nd May 2008, 11:32
I thought the match was great. MU could have sealed it in the first half, with two effective open misses. Chelsea were great in the second half. I do think chelsea are a bunch of cheating gits though. Have you ever noticed, whenever there is the smallest foul they have four or five players surround and intimidate the ref, trying to get him to upgrade it to a card offence.

As for Terry...whoops. He had waited his whole career for that one moment. Captain, final penalty, this one to win the Champions league, on their first appearance in the final...quack quack opps!!

Devlin Carnet
22nd May 2008, 11:34
The only thing that spoiled it for me last night was that great ignorant tosser of a commentator, that still doesnt know the name of the Manu Manager.
ITS ALEX NOT ALEC! YOU W*NKER.
And its NicolaS Annelka, not Nicola!

Forkandles
22nd May 2008, 11:41
...ITS ALEX NOT ALEC! YOU W*NKER.

Gets my back up as well! :ok:

Parapunter
22nd May 2008, 11:42
David Pleat's the worst for mangling names. You would have thought that with the company he used to keep, he'd be able to pronounce a few exotic monikers.:rolleyes:

TractorBoy
22nd May 2008, 11:53
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee102/SpavinStardust/terry.jpg

:ok:

barry lloyd
22nd May 2008, 12:09
The only thing that spoiled it for me last night was that great ignorant tosser of a commentator

Yeah, and I'm sure he called Lampard Redknapp at one point - I know they're cousins, but Redknapp wasn't even on the pitch:confused: Must have been all the vodka!

Groundloop
22nd May 2008, 12:17
I was most shocked when Raef got fired instead of Michael!:ok:

IB4138
22nd May 2008, 12:38
It would appear by the above comments on common taiters, that quite a few of you watch the normal, below par, ITV coverage. :eek:

No such problems with SKY. :)

Curious Pax
22nd May 2008, 13:09
And its NicolaS Annelka, not Nicola!

The commentators on Nederland 3 also called him Nicola. And they constantly referred to Michael Ballack as Michael B0llock!

Binoculars
22nd May 2008, 14:00
And Queensland got smashed all over the park by NSW in the State of Origin, the ultimate football. Bummer.

(Just thought I'd put it in here where nobody would notice)

Capt.KAOS
22nd May 2008, 14:28
Match was OK, the luckiest won, the pitch was terrible not worth a Champion League final, and yes Carvalho is a dirty little rat, reminds me of that other thug Couto.

Effluent Man
22nd May 2008, 15:10
Although a neutral I had a preference to see United win. I agree however that they were the "luckier" side and the final 1-1 was a fair reflection of the game.I actually found myself feeling sorry for Grant.Maybe it's the lugubrious look or possibly that he is going to get sacked whatever happens or happened.

I bet the Special One enjoyed it.

Lon More
22nd May 2008, 15:30
It was so exciting I fell asleep and only woke up in time to see Billy Piper (sp?) in black undies - that was worth looking at and apparently replaced the advertised programme ao something good came out of it

surely not
22nd May 2008, 15:52
Well I'm a Man U fan and I'm very happy with the result, very happy with the fact that the United team is young enough to dominate for a few more years, very happy that John Terry made himself look a completely useless tosser, very happy that Didier Drogba showed his true colours and got sent off as he should most games the cheating fecker......................

Thought the game was plenty good enough in not very good conditions, and the best team won.

Oh and I'm very happy :ok:

Future 737NG pic(?)
22nd May 2008, 16:55
I will echo the sentiments of the previous United supporters and say WHAT A GAME & WHAT A RESULT! :D

Match had everything, including Utd riding their luck somewhat (not too dissimilar to that night 9 years ago in Barcelona). I'd like to think the better footballing team won in the end, but praise needs to go to Chelsea for giving us a great game.

To top things off, all of the players who needed bringing down a peg or two (on both sides, I hasten to add), got some form of come-uppance, I think its easy to work out which ones…

CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE!! :ok::ok:

barry lloyd
22nd May 2008, 18:05
Pity the city council aren't impressed enough to have a victory parade.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/manchester/7414342.stm

Krystal n chips
22nd May 2008, 18:56
:ugh: For those who missed it....fortunate souls they are,,,,the local Beeb News set a new low in sycophantic adulation and overall drivel in support of.....a football team. Well done :yuk::ok::yuk:

On the other hand, some light entertainment listening to the clinically brain dead trying to articulate their delight...from a vocabulary of about 20 words :E :ugh:

OK, it's a sporting achievement, but it doesn't warrant the saturation coverage in lieu of, erm, a News programme.

BRL
22nd May 2008, 19:01
^^^^^^^^^^Yea, whatever, tell someone who gives a toss.......... ;)

Anyway, the smug United fans at work, and there are plenty of them as I live in Brighton, made sure I knew the score today. As stated earlier, another two to catch up then...... :)

Interestingly I heard Drogba was down to take the 5th penalty, instead it was Terry who had to take it....! What goes around comes around I suppose.

Roll on next season.

IB4138
24th May 2008, 18:56
The desperate board of the Blue West London Rent Boys have sacked Avram Grunt, as two second places is not good enough this season.

What an absolute shower!

Don't give the next incumbent of the managers office at Stamford sinking Bridge long either, with an attitude like that.

They reap what they sow.

Practice Auto 3,2,1
24th May 2008, 19:33
Anyone else think that Mr Grant won't be the only person leaving Stamford Bridge this summer.....

On a side note:

Ryan Giggs has just described the Champion's League trophy as being like "a chocolate orange" adding "it's not Terry's, it's mine"

:}

BRL
24th May 2008, 19:53
That goes hand in hand with John Terry vodka. Made in England, bottled in Russia!!! :D

Big Tudor
24th May 2008, 20:33
Rumours abound that the former West Ham players were heard singing "We're forever blowing doubles." on the flight home! ;)