PDA

View Full Version : UKJAR to FAA Licence

Spam Up
21st May 2008, 17:18
Hello all !

Could anyone advise the easiest way (and cheapest) I could get an FAA licence here in the UK, I have just over 1000hrs and a HS125 rating !

How does it work for the FAA ATPL exams, do they have to be done ?

Spam Up

capt.sparrow
21st May 2008, 18:19
If you meet the FAA ATP hours requirements etc then you just have to do the ATP written exam, and an FAA checkride/oral to get the FAA ATP. There's no direct conversion to a CPL/IR with type rating.

pilotbear
21st May 2008, 21:43
easiest way if you have the hours which i am not sure you have there, is do the ATP written exam at FSI in Farnborough or Paris. Use the Gleim CD and follow the instructions implicitly for two weeks. No need for books.
Then on your next recurrent do the FAA ATP and FAA recurrent Hawker checkride at the same time. It is then based on your UK licence. You will need TSA approval.
Good person for advice on FAA is Maud Duboscq at Paris FSI.:ok:

PicMas
22nd May 2008, 07:33
According to 14 CFR part 61.159 (Aeronautical experience) for an Airline Transport Pilot Certificate (ATP).

Required experience:

1500hrs total time
500 hrs crosscountry time
100 hrs night flight time
75 hrs instrument flight time (IMC or simulated)

To answer your question:
Yes, for the issuance of an ATP the ATP exam has to be completed.

For the issuance of a CPL with IR you need to complete the CPL and Instrument written tests (total 2)

For CPL and IR you need to meet the formal hrs requirements, which with a UK CPL you certainly will. You then need "3hrs/ 60 days endorsement" from a flight instructor. This is basically a required preparation for the practical test. The instructor endorses that within the preceeding 60 days you have received 3 hrs of instruction, and is found competent to take (and pass) the CPL skill test.

Spam Up
22nd May 2008, 10:13
Hello all

Thanks for all the replies ! It would appear that I would be better of waiting until I get to 1500hrs then trying to get the FAA licence !

Thanks

Spam Up

B200Drvr
22nd May 2008, 13:34
Agreed, as if you just did the CPL IR checkride, your HS 125 Rating would not be recognized on your FAA certificate. It would not be worth doing the CPL at this stage as the best you could hope for is a P2 rating.

TSandPSintheGREEN
22nd May 2008, 20:55
Hmmm I am currently doing the FAA Instrument writtens (CPL writtens complete) and have the FAA PPL by validation. I have two jet ratings - are you saying these will not be put on the FAA CPL?? The whole reason for doing this is to occasionally fly N-reg aircraft for the company I fly for currently- ??

capt.sparrow
22nd May 2008, 21:12
I 'think' they will if you have undertaken the FAA type rating training/recurrent course. If you haven't then no they wont - I was advised not to bother until I have the UK ATPL issue then get the ATP after a renewal and LPC. (Luckily do all recurrent in the US with JAA/FAA examiners).

You still have to do a course of conversion for the CPL and IR on a light twin and take the check rides (plus get TSA/VISAs) so I didnt bother yet. Way to much hassle for me, for the use I would get from it.

TSandPSintheGREEN
22nd May 2008, 21:15
Yes it is certainly a grey area - I am aware I'll have to climb back into a Seneca some time soon and perform some mild aerobatics!! Scary stuff!! I did the original ratings in the USA so presumably this makes them approved? P2 rights only would be OK as I am R seat anyway.

B200Drvr
23rd May 2008, 08:15
Green, Without meeting certain criteria required by the FAA, they will not put any of your jet types onto your FAA certificate, not even as P2, and at the moment, to fly as P2 in any N reg "turbo-jet" that is not certified for single pilot, you require a P2 "rating" on your FAA Certificate.
Look at a copy of the FAR/ AIM it is very clear.

youngskywalker
23rd May 2008, 08:29
If your doing the FAA CPL/IR in a multi like the Seneca then you wont have to do any 'mild aeros'!, the Mutli CPL/IR flight test is more similar to the JAR equivelant and the worst it got for me is a full power stall in the seminole which has quite an alarmingly high nose up attitude. They only get you to do those aerobatic style profiles on the Single engine CPL test.

TSandPSintheGREEN
24th May 2008, 10:16
Yeah - that's another thing. When I was in Wichita, they told me single engine flight test would be sufficient for CPL, now back in the UK, have been told needs to be twin ?? Possibly just because of the IR part of it?

Check 6
24th May 2008, 14:13
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=300434

G-SPOTs Lost
10th Jul 2008, 19:22
The only types that will be automatically transferred are the ones on your validated PPL that say (US TEST PASSED).

So you could definetely kick off a "clean" ATP with the required hours and ground exam on a fresh type rating (ie an initial), and you may be able to get the ATP ride on tha back of a recurrent but its by no means given and you should budget on another 1/2 hour in the sim.

Also be warned that a lot of people say that you just need to get the gleam book and cram for a week. BE ADVISED!!!! that you will have to know this syllabus from front to back in order to pass the ATP oral exam that will no doubt be "attached" to your initial type oral (if thats what you are doing) if you are asking the check airman to give you the piece of paper he can more or less ask you what he wants on an ATP oral exam.

You're fair game - be warned (and ask me how I know........... :\:\:\)

youngskywalker
10th Jul 2008, 22:01
I second the Oral part! FAA examiners know very well that we Europeans have a low opinion of the knowledge and skill required to gain an FAA professional licence, I'm certain that they take special pride in grilling us even longer than say a 'native' during the oral part of the flight test for this reason! :E My CPL and IR oral exams were well over two hours long each, I have heard of some taking ony 30 mins and others a whole day!

Spam Up
29th Nov 2009, 23:46
Hi

Well I am over the 1500hrs now but as yet still have the JAR Frozen ATPL, so has anything changed with regards to the study guides ? any news on what one is the best ?

I plan to buy a study guide and unfreeze on my next recurrent, hopefully with a JAA/FAA examiner, that prob wont be until next year though, so what do I need to do to take the FAA ATP exams ?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Spam Up

NuName
30th Nov 2009, 02:50
Spam Up,
you can take youngskywalker's comments with a pinch of salt, European licence holders (and I am one) sometimes enjoy to make derisory comments with regard to FAA qualifications, I think to somehow elevate the superiority of their acheivments. It is a documented fact that both the licence's work as well as each other with regards to safety requirements. Your oral exam will be as long or short as the examiner deems necessary to evaluate your knowledge, if it takes longer, you can be assured you are being given every opportunity to convince him you know your stuff, if it is short, well done, he know's you know. Contact your next sim provider and they will tell you what they require for you to qualify for the FAA ATPL on your next sim check. Good luck. And don't forget to get an FAA medical.