PDA

View Full Version : GEMS school transport....

White Knight
21st May 2008, 15:19
So, is it just Wellington School where they're 'outsourcing' school transport or have the likes of JC,JPS,DAA all sent out the same letters...
New transport costs estimated to be 720 - 800 dhms per child per MONTH, a nice little rise from 3000 per YEAR.. This is probably because school fees have been held to this years rates for next year...

Well, we all know how greedy the 'big' man at GEMS is:ugh:

fatbus
21st May 2008, 16:26
I think its all of them. Remember offical inflation for this coming year is...11%, yeah right...20 -30 is more like it

cyzv
22nd May 2008, 13:13
I think all the GEMS schools got it...

Last year alone bus transport services across GEMS schools incurred a reported loss of AED25 million; this year the projected loss is expected to be substantially higher.

AED25 million my a:mad:s!

V probably just set up a bus company... and that's where the ''outsourcing'' will be done...:rolleyes:

White Knight
22nd May 2008, 18:37
Of course - same drivers and conductors:confused:

harry the cod
22nd May 2008, 21:20
Remember.............

all this from a man who made headlines last year with a 100 million dhs donation to the dubai for good charity. Front page made him look ever so generous. But, in the small print.........

It was to be spread over 5 years.

NOT in the small print....

His staff would have a compulsory deduction from their salaries to 'contribute' to this fund.

In other words, some fat egotistical megalomaniac Indian with some local connections who milks every single penny from his staff and media to further his own greed!

Harry

SimCity
7th Jun 2008, 16:20
Want to come to EK ?? Bus fees just went from 3000 dhms per yr to 8000 dhms per yr per kid. Are you being told the truth??????????????

White Knight
7th Jun 2008, 17:26
Sim City - here, try this information!! From over 2 weeks ago..

Austin Holed
9th Jun 2008, 14:33
Some GEMS schools but not all. For example, at Our Own Indian High School, the bus fees will remain at 200dhs per month.

Somewhat reminiscent of the ticket pricing philosophy for a recent football match. :ugh:

Oblaaspop
10th Jun 2008, 06:47
Hey Sim, what the hell have increased GEMS School bus fee's got to do with EK not telling the truth??

Its an airline for christs sake, not a purveyor of educational transportation devices:yuk:

The airline does actually contribute towards the bus fees already.

If people don't like it/can't afford it, then get your lazy arses out of bed and take your kids to school in your own car........... simple really!:E

Austin Holed
10th Jun 2008, 16:33
Oblaaspop, whilst I agree that this latest display of Dubai's insatiable greed isn't EK's fault, I must point out that many of us actually do get our lazy arses out of bed to get our kids ready to catch the school bus. Personally, if I drove them myself, I would actually keep my lazy arse in bed a little longer. The main reason that many of us utilise school bus services is to avoid the absolute carnage outside the schools in the mornings and afternoons. There is simply no parking space nor provision for safe and efficient individual drop off/pick up zones. Even if the schools did ignore their grotesque avarice for a brief moment and provide such facilities, the ever present "me, me, me and me first" attitudes prevalent in Dubai would soon turn the mornings and afternoons into the usual borderline riot. One bus of 30 kids equals a lot less cars jostling for space, but if GEMs insists on charging around 240000dhs per annum for a 30 seater bus plus two staff, then the consequent chaos of multiple cars will rule. (and yes, I am aware of the philosophy of car pooling, but even if I stack 'em, I still won't get 30 kids in my car)

So, not so simple really.

Oblaaspop
11th Jun 2008, 08:04
Fair point Austin, and taken on board.

The point is, I'm sick and tired of the aimless/pointless snipes taken at EK over things completely outside their remit........ Does the company piss me off over other issues within their control? Hell yes, but at least they are worthy of a good old moan!

I think this issue is also emdemic of the expat nicety lifestyle people have come to expect as a right. I agree that it is total CARnage outside the schools at pick up and drop off times, and will likely get worse if people are forced to drive their kids to school themselves, however (and I don't know where you are from), back home in Blighty, school busses generally don't exist, and similar carnage can be witnessed there every day...... same sh1t different country? (at least people still have a choice here, expensive as it might be)

:ok: