PDA

View Full Version : Problems with explorer

ZILLI
21st May 2008, 06:06
I wonder if anyone could help me with a problem I have been having the past month. I have Aol on my windows xp and aol works fine and fast, however when I use IE7 it takes ageeeeeeees to go to the website or open hotmail mail etc! I have also lost the ability to copy and paste facility on IE but not on aol. All very puzzling, I have downloaded the latest IE, and still the same, I have run my virus scan anti spyware etc etc and its all clear, anyone have any suggestions please as it is driving me crazy!

usedtofly
21st May 2008, 10:18
Try FireFox instead, flippant answer I know....sorry :}

kenhughes
21st May 2008, 12:23
Did you get the version of IE7 optimized for AOL?

http://wspart.websys.aol.com/ie7custom/

BOAC
21st May 2008, 14:04
Alternatively wind back to IE6 and see how it goes? I was having a very slow IE6 'experience' until I discovered prio.exe (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=4118614) (Post #8)

Basil
22nd May 2008, 07:56
I use Avant browser.
I'd another look at Firefox a couple of weeks ago but decided against it and removed it from my system. Subsequently discovered 18 tracking cookies under Application Data\Firefox.

SeldomFixit
22nd May 2008, 12:32
Ccleaner - run after each browser window is closed. takes no time once it becomes a habit Basil. :ok:

Basil
22nd May 2008, 16:31
SeldomFixit,
Can that be set to run automatically?
Yes, I know I'm a lazy sod for not going and reading it up :)

Shunter
22nd May 2008, 19:58
"tracking cookies" are totally overblown. A cookie by definition can't extract anything from your machine. All kinds of reputable companies use tracking cookies. Just because the likes of AdAware say "oh my god, a tracking cookie!", doesn't mean it's doing any harm. If you don't like cookies, disable them! Changing browser doesn't suddenly address cookies, but configuring your browser (whatever it is), does.

The problem with AOL is its horrific requirement to install all kinds of nasty filth all over your operating system. In days gone by it actually used to overwrite the winsock components (Windows fundamental network socket files) with its own garbage. Why do you think it earned the name, AO-HELL?

Try FireFox - it's a better browser in so many ways. AOL and IE are pretty much just as bad as each other.

Running cleaners every time you shut a browser down is nothing short of paranoid (unless you're a kiddie-fiddler).

ZILLI
22nd May 2008, 21:29
Thanks very much for all the replies, I have tried to the best of my abilities the various suggestions but it is still the same. I dont use exlorer as a search engine, I use google via aol, ( if that makes sense), but when I get hotmail etc, it automatically opens it via exlorer? If there is a way I can use firefox to gain access to this without losing my hotmail account, more then happy never to use IE again. As you may have gathered not too good with computers, and yes I have heard aol is invasive, but after 10 years its a bit difficult to wean myself off it. Thanks once again for the suggestions to all of you.:)

Eagle402
22nd May 2008, 21:41
I'm with the guys who recommend Firefox. IE is horribly clunky these days. Ok you'll have to access your Hotmail via the domain name but surely you can bookmark it and use the 'remember me' for at least your user name ?

I would also recommend google.mail incidentally but I suspect you are happy with Hotmail after all these years using it!

Eagle402.