PDA

View Full Version : Advise needed - SIA

Frying Dutchman
6th Oct 2000, 07:32
Hi all,
I m interested to join SIA after getting an Aust CPL but as far as i know, SIA does not recognise Aussie licenses and even if they take in new pilots with Aust licenses, these pilots would have to go thru everything again in Perth. So i need advice urgently as to whether I should get my CIR and ATPL b4 i try to get a SIA job. I know it is foolish to go thru everything again when u already know how to fly, but it still beats being unemployed. Anyone pls help!!!!

No Cigar
6th Oct 2000, 11:31
Flying Dutchman, who do you fly with in Aust?? Are you in Melbourne?

PILOST
6th Oct 2000, 14:09
F.D,
If you're local or Malaysian you're better off trying their cadet scheme.Otherwise the G/A market jobs are a bit hard to come by.

Good luck anyway!

Safe Flying.
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

Sunny
7th Oct 2000, 15:17
You would have been better off getting an ATPL in NZ. Only way to go would be to go for the walk-in interviews. If you got friends who have gone through the course, talk to them, they would be able to give you an insight into what's really going on there. No point going for further ratings as it doesn't make any difference. Also as a Singaporean, you have to be 26 or older to join.

[This message has been edited by Sunny (edited 07 October 2000).]

Frying Dutchman
11th Oct 2000, 08:12
Hi Sunny....
May I know whether are u an airline pilot? What was ur path to success.....care to share it?

Sunny
16th Oct 2000, 11:10
Well Frying Dutchman, the last time I checked, I was. Anyway check your mail.

Sir Jerker
17th Oct 2000, 05:11
To Frying Dutchman

I have helped several younger people with advice and wisdom about getting into various airlines. I understand the desire and willingness and the need to go where the eventual satisfaction of flying a larger jet is your one and only goal. I am about to give you advice which may be the best advice you ever receive. You want to join Singapore Airlines. "Don't". I will say it one more time. "Don't". You will regret it.

Dexter
17th Oct 2000, 08:21
Somewhat harsh old chap. I would generally say it depends on how adaptable the individual believes himself to be. I usually try to avoid an outright "Do or Don't," type directive, but advise them of my personal experiences, and refer them to colleagues in situations I haven't experienced first hand.

Without regret on my part, I would earnsetly say "Go for it, Frying Dutchman." They offer a good solid career for you young chappies.

Sunny
17th Oct 2000, 11:00
Sir Jerker,
Perhaps you would enlighten us as to why our young friend should not join? It's easy enough to say don't, why not tell us now why.

Whiskery
17th Oct 2000, 13:15
Sir Jonker,

It's not so much if Fried Dutchman should join SQ - rather,would he get a job with SQ.
May I suggest when FD gets the job with SQ, he then enquires as to whether he should accept it.

Dexter - when was the last time you and Classic Dick had tea and crumpets together?

[This message has been edited by Whiskery (edited 17 October 2000).]

Dexter
17th Oct 2000, 15:42
That's quite enough from you, thank you Whiskery, young man. For your information, Classic Dick and I have shared crumpets on more than one occasion. But not together, mind you. Now off you toodle to your Victoria Bitter, or Swan's Lager, like a good chap.

Sir Jerker
18th Oct 2000, 02:04
In reply to Sunny. I can enlighten you as to why the Frying Dutchman should not take a job with Singapore. I was there and left by my own requirements. That arguement should be enough on it's own. Singapore Airlines cannot honour their own signature on their own contracts they offer e.g. the gratuity / inducement allowance deal in the early 90s. The Singaporean solicitor told us the company cannot do this, they have to pay you the money but they will not and you will never win this case in a Singaporean court. So forget it. You see it is Lee Kwan Yu's country (forgive the spelling, I couldn't be bothered looking it up), he controls the people and they do as he says and it can be argued he has a right to do this. Where the arguement falls down is that he uses the word "democracy" in the same sentence as the statement.

Singapore Airlines will lie to you, they will treat you as an outsider, they will discriminate against you and the local pilots will hate you because you are not one of them. The real reason is that you are far better than them. Tell me someone please, even though you join their union and pay the fees which they encourage you to do, do you still not get to vote because you are an expat.

In reply to Whiskey. Give me a break please. Anybody can get a job with Singapore Airlines. Most airlines around the world have standards this wide. Singapore has standards this +++++++++++++ wide. When they flipped the A310 on it's back over the Bay of Bengal and the safety report said only "Loss of Height over the Bay of Bengal", were they trying to keep the truth from their own flight crew. I guess it's why those down there live in the world of "we are the best". They just don't know any different. Either that or the book they read to answer this question said so.

I don't know exactly why Gladiator ran away but I do know that he is one of many. There are those that pay their way out because they cannot stand the culture or the airline. Speak to those people before joining Frying Dutchman, not the Singaporeans who argue it's a great airline because Uncle Harry Lee says so. Best of luck.

Gladiator
18th Oct 2000, 03:40
Sir jerker does not speak with a forked tongue.

Frying Dutchman
18th Oct 2000, 07:43
Hi guys,

Good to hear from both sides of the coin...but i must remind those who oppose the idea of me trying for the cadetship that I will be a bankcrupt or almost bankcrupt low time pilot by the end of my course and the prospect of joining other airlines, charter or whatever is extremely slim. I can't hope to get a job in Aust cos i m a S'porean and when the locals themselves could not even find a job other than instructing. I dun mind any jobs except instructing cos i dun want anybody to hate me for cheating their $$ when they dun do well!
Sir Jerker, can u advise on another alternative? Thx.

Whiskery
18th Oct 2000, 13:59
What are you drinking Dutchie.... Heineken or Tiger?

Sir Jerker
19th Oct 2000, 00:47
To Frying Dutchman
If you are a Singaporean, then Singapore Airlines may be your avenue. You will realise that bowing, scraping and ^%&*sucking is the road to success, not your ability. A local will fit in there whereas expats are hated (because we are not one of them).
Cathay Pacific is on the largest recruitment drives of all time for them. That includes the Cadet programme. Think about it. More money, call the captain Bill ('cos that's his name) and NO BOND. I wonder why Cathay does not bond. Singapore Airlines insists on it. I wonder why.

Gladiator
19th Oct 2000, 03:03
Speaks not with a forked tongue.

Kaptin M
21st Oct 2000, 10:25
Gladdie you really have a problem - posting to yourself.....Sir Jerker....how apt!

Sunny
21st Oct 2000, 20:11
Okay, so th FD now knows what to expect if he ever becomes an expat with SQ. Easy enough to advise him to join as a cadet with Cathay, but what are his chances of getting in? The only way to do it would be to go for what you want, but don't expect to be treated like a golden child. Go in with your eyes open and make your own decisions.

Tough decisions must be made. But they are important.

Frying Dutchman
22nd Oct 2000, 09:01
Since when Cathay takes in expats for their cadetship? Their webpage stated cadets must be HKers or PRs. And Sunny...your singnet mailbox is full.

Centaurus
25th Oct 2000, 15:03
Sir Jerker. You have got me interested. Request details of this A310 upside down over the Bay of Bengal and where can I find the official report?

FlyingCrew
25th Oct 2000, 15:57
flying dutchman,

if u re a singaporean hoping to get into SQ, here is what u need:

1)be 26yrs and above,

2)hav 5 credit in your 'O' levels exam inclus maths, physics and english,

3)two 'As'and two 'AOs' in your 'A' levels exam, preferably maths and physics with,

4)a diploma or be a graduate,

5)eat lots of humble pie, be polite at the final tea party.

does not matter whether you have a flying license or not(don't waste your money getting one),infact SQ prefer you not have a license for their cadet scheme.as for a singaporean to join other airlines cadet scheme, don't dream! hundreds ahead of you have tried the world.

good luck.

Gladiator
25th Oct 2000, 21:15
Centaurus there is no official report. Oh wait, aircraft lost height lah, ne'er my ne'er my.