PDA

View Full Version : JAR Class 1 medical costs

invertedspin10
20th May 2008, 19:15
I have borderline hearing and eyesight for passing a JAA Class 1 medical but I am considering going for one anyway just to make sure.
Can anyone tell me:
What is the cost of the medical?
Do you have to pay the full amount if you fail fairly early on in the examination? e.g hearing/eyesight

How long you might have to wait for an appointment?

IRISHPILOT
20th May 2008, 19:47
You only pay for what you get examined and it is up to you to start with the hearing and the eyes.

Don't know prices for the UK initial, but the same is 125 Euros here in PRG, cheaper in other places.

good luck! IP

TyreCreep
21st May 2008, 05:24
About £300 (£316 rings the bell) for the initial Class 1 at Gatwick.

I believe they'll get you to send through your optical prescription before they book you the medical.

Irishpilot - I'd be interested to hear where in PRG to go for initial JAR Class 1. I have a few friends contemplating a JAR Class 1, but balking at the costs at Gatwick.

99jolegg
21st May 2008, 08:19
Why don't you print of the eye sight requirements from the CAA website under "Medical". Take these to your local eye testing centre (Specsavers, Vision Express etc etc) and pay the £22 to have them tested against those specifications.

If they throw up any problem then you can give the CAA medical team a ring and throw the science at them of what was found. If you are given the all clear, then great, you can go to Gatwick with a lot less worry on your shoulders.

IRISHPILOT
21st May 2008, 08:19
With the devaluation of the pound and prices going up here big time, the price stands at 6500CZK, which is EUR260, which is GBP207.

Class 1 renewal 1750CZK (EUR70, GBP55).

the link is here: http://www.ulz.cz/en/index.html This is a few minutes by bus from the airport and no appointment is needed and you get it on the spot.

very sorry about my wrong quote for the price in the above post, realize that this is not attractive unless you are somewhere nearby anyway.

regards IP

TyreCreep
21st May 2008, 08:33
Thank you for the info, Iripilot.

Even at £207, it's still much better than Gatwick. I shall pass on the info.

Renewal sounds very cheap too - last renewal quote I had was £170, so it will be a substantial saving (worth flying over for - plus cheap drinks).

nickyjsmith
22nd May 2008, 19:48
My renewal, including ecg and audiogram ( due to the fact i'm an old git) was £112 in Cheltenham.
Sounds cheap now.

AMEandPPL
23rd May 2008, 00:31
My renewal, including ECG and audiogram, was £112 in Cheltenham

That's exceptionally cheap ! Same things nearer £ 200 here !

Sorry if it's a slight "thread creep", but I'm really surprised to have seen little or no mention on here of VAT being added to medical charges in recent months.
HMRC's case is that visiting an AME for a certificate is NOT the same as going to GP with problem or symptom, and asking for advice or treatment. A commercial transaction, therefore subject to VAT .
Do you all accept that this is a reasonable standpoint ? Or can you simply not be bothered to comment upon it ? Are folk so fed up with G Brown Esq nowadays that they are not even commenting on his far-fetched tax gathering ruses ?
It's divisive too - only AME's whose turnover exceeds the VAT threshold need to register - so those who do fewer medicals will not need to charge VAT, and their prices will therefore be more attractive. How fair is that ?
Any comments from anyone, or is it stony silence as usual ?

gingernut
23rd May 2008, 05:56
I guess these medical charge anomolies do tend to creep in unnoticed, probably 'cos most folk are more interested in the result, rather than the tax.

But while we're on the subject, what about these travel vacc/malaria tablet charges.

And prescription charges-seven quid for some sh*tty thre'pence amoxycillin.

And don't start me about "NHS" dentistry.........

Free at the point of entry? B*llocks:)

99jolegg
23rd May 2008, 16:13
My first "standard" Class 1 renewal was also £112.

AMEandPPL
23rd May 2008, 18:19
My first "standard" Class 1 renewal was also £112.

The question is whether that also included things like the ECG and audio ?
In most practices they are regarded, and priced, as extras - usually at something like £ 35 - £ 40 each.
£ 112 for just the basic medical, haemoglobin, and AOL admin fee is about what one would expect in most practices. In many AME practices you would now also need to add the 17.5% for VAT.

zooom
22nd Jun 2008, 21:25
What about if I have medical class 1 issued by another JAA country, but I need to have UK medical class 1 because JAA school in US has that request.

Do I need to do everything from begining ?

AMEandPPL
22nd Jun 2008, 21:37
Do I need to do everything from begining ?

This involves a "change of SOLI" (state of licence issue).

More information here :
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=2576

Likely to seem very bureaucratic, but should not require a whole repeat medical !

zooom
22nd Jun 2008, 21:47
Thank You very much !!!