PDA

View Full Version : Work in Singa's

sculldog
23rd Jan 2001, 00:35
Is there any work in Singa's for an A & P mechanic?

Gladiator
23rd Jan 2001, 00:51
An A&P license is not recognized by CAAS.

PILLOW
23rd Jan 2001, 14:19
SASCO accepts A&P .

I know of several A & P currently employed by SIA and local rep of foreign carrier

Gladiator
23rd Jan 2001, 22:17
In 1991 CAAS required me to take several exams. These exams were if I can remember, AC electrics, Turbine engines, etc.

I produced documentation to CAAS in order to have these exams waived. Amongst others, the documentations included an A&P license (Airframe and Powerplant mechanics license), certification from P&W indicationg my qualifications in Jet Engine overhaul, etc.

CAAS looked at them and claimed that they do not recognize an A&P license. I ended up waisting time and MONEY taking the exams.

Well 10 years later may be they have changed their mind. In which case I stand corrected. PILLOW probably did some checking around, called CAAS, and now an A&P license is recognized by CAAS.

sculldog
23rd Jan 2001, 23:55
Cheers for your help i'll keep looking.

Chill
24th Jan 2001, 00:21
Sculldog.

There were a few A&P/LAME jobs in the Straits Times during the last week or two, but I forget who they were with (S'pore Tech or SATS??). Will try to look for you.

Gong Xi Fa Cai all!

------------------
Chill Out!

PILLOW
26th Jan 2001, 12:34
Poor gladys , still unable to post anything true on this site .

Btw I found a cure for your condition

joblessflyer
26th Jan 2001, 17:18
Gladiator is right!
CAAS(even SIA)still does not recognised FAA A&P or pilot's licenses. Those company in Singapore using FAA A&P holders is because they are servicing American regd. aircraft in their S'pore base or they are foriegn company based in S'pore who recognised FAA license.
good luck.

[This message has been edited by joblessflyer (edited 26 January 2001).]

411A
26th Jan 2001, 23:19
JOBLESSFLYER
SQ does not recognise FAA pilot licenses? Hmmm, I guess that the ATPL number --- issued in 1978 by the Republic of Singapore, Department of Civil Aviation,..."issued on the strength of US FAA ATR No.------- was just imagined on my part and SQ just paid me as a B707 Commander, check and training Captain because they felt kind then? Don't think so, your information is just slightly ah....wrong :rolleyes:

Gladiator
27th Jan 2001, 01:46
You are both correct. 411A I presume you were hired as a Captain, if so, your FAA ATP was recognized. If you were to be hired as a co-pilot, your FAA ATP would then not be recognized.

My FAA ATP as well as A&P was not recognized by CAAS.

I think it is based on how bad you are needed. Furthermore, CAAS policies are like the stock market, it changes by the hour.

Singapore government policies were much the same during the 90s. On Monday you are worthy of CPF and or PR, on Tuesday you are not.

Farside
27th Jan 2001, 06:07
Pillow, if there was one person fighting Gladiator's listings it was me ( Check the old listings) however in due course I found out that although I might disagree on certain topics, he is most of the time spot on on what he writes. The fact that SQ had to abandon their three man crew operation is a feather he can put on his hat. He also has a clear understanding of the law ( sopmething most of us lack!!) so let's try to get the better of it iso critising him.

joblessflyer
27th Jan 2001, 07:09
To Mr.411A,
I have no doubt about your situation likewise Gladiator has explained. As for my experience, a few of my junior pilot and three retrenched ex-United Airlines B747 FAA A&P friends approached CAAS and SQ for employment was told that FAA license is not recognised and that they have to seat for the CAA Tech/Nav papers before being considered. Pls don't get me wrong as I am a believer in the FAA systems and have benefited from it. Anyway, hope to hear from you soon re our previous e-mail and wishing you happy landings.

[This message has been edited by joblessflyer (edited 27 January 2001).]

PILLOW
27th Jan 2001, 08:06
joblessflyer ,
you are right . Several companies in Singapore including SIA and sasco operates under FAR 145 . Thats why they accept A&P mechanics .
When gladys said CAAS now recognised A&P , the statement is incorrect . As usual he shoots from the hip without any attempt to find out the truth .

titan
28th Jan 2001, 00:50
CAAS do not recognise the FAA pilot's licence. SIA did a deal with the FAA due to their N registered planes whereby SIA pilots could hold a temporary FAA license, based on the validity of their CAAS licence AND their SIA employment.
When I left SIA the FAA cancelled my FAA license which I held BEFORE I joined SIA.

Whiskery
28th Jan 2001, 04:26
You were duped titan. The FAA had no right to cancel your FAA licence and had you protested the fact at the time,it should have been reinstated immediately. The temporary licences to fly the N registered aircraft to the States were a seperate entity to a bona fide FAA licence and weren't worth the paper they were printed on.

I held both during my time at SQ and when I left their employ, only the temporary certificate was cancelled.

titan
29th Jan 2001, 03:39
I did complain, jump up and down, and write letters but I couldnt get it reversed.
I still dream about earning US$ at night - the burden of living in a banana republic :]

PILLOW
30th Jan 2001, 08:58
Farside

Thank you for you posting . As a A&P mech he should know FAR 145 . He should also know he could not have sat for CAAS basic papers on the strength of his A&P licence .

You and I are in aviation long enough to realise the aviation world is always changing . Technologies , procedures and rules are always changing for a safer flying environment .

It would be wishful thinking to imagine Airlines and Aviation Authorities logging on to PPRUNE for guidance and direction . ( Much as we wish it would happen )

Occasionally we may hit a jackpot and shout 'Eureka ' .

This is no different from 20 years ago when we hope management would heed to what's written on the toilet wall .

titan
30th Jan 2001, 16:48
Dear Mr PILLOW,
On your own posting you have stated that you are not old enough to join SIA, so how do you justify saying "You and I are in aviation long enough to realise"?
Yes, we all had burning aviation desires as children, but then the rest of us grew up and really did become pilots. If you actually do hold a flying license, which I severely doubt, then I fear your attitude is destined to make you a statistic.

Lee
31st Jan 2001, 21:38
Dear Mr PILLOW

I've been following these posts and I must admit and agree with Titan that Gladiator is usually spot on in his facts and S'pore aviation law.

Keep up the good work Gladiator!

Lee
31st Jan 2001, 21:43
Dear Mr PILLOW,

Sorry, I meant, I agree with Farside, Gladiator is spot on in his facts and S'pore aviation law.

Sorry, Titan to misquote you! Cheers!

PILLOW
1st Feb 2001, 09:16
Poor Titan

These postings is like an open book and you still get your facts wrong .

PILLOW
3rd Feb 2001, 11:05
LEE
I dont agree with you . Caught him with wrong/altered facts several times .

Also , anyone who spent that much money on litigation is bound to know laws relating to that litigation .

Lee
4th Feb 2001, 04:16
Dear Mr Pillow,

I'm very glad that now you believe Gladiator and Lee are two different persons.

Anyway, it my personal opinion, that Gladiator has got his facts and aviation law right most of the time.

Keep up the good work Gladiator!

Sick Squid
4th Feb 2001, 04:38
er... was there actually a definitive answer to this question? Did I miss it? If so I'm sorry, it got lost in the cat fight.

Gentlemen/ladies please try to stay on topic. There is a serious question here that has been buried under bickering. Lets have this thread steered back on course....

Sick Squid
Far East Forum moderator

PILLOW
4th Feb 2001, 14:14
Lee ,

In his first posting on this thread , he was absolutely correct . However he is unsure of himself , so he is back on the defensive on his second posting and started shooting from the hip.. so much for someone who is spot on on his fact .

Every one knows that lee and gladys and a few others is the same person .

Lee
6th Feb 2001, 08:36
Dear Mr Pillow,

There you go again about Lee and Gladiator...zzzzzzzzz

Are you trying to get this thread closed too?

Goldwing2000
7th Feb 2001, 06:03
Pillow,either you're dumb or plain stupid! Which is it? Why would Gladys masquarade as Lee or vice versa. I just don't see the logic there. Gladys has for the last many months been doing very well with his arguments and counter arguments and incidentally has his facts nailed, so why would he use a different username and change tatics mid stream. Paranoia must have set in after looking at your screen too long! Chill out!! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

--------------
If it moves, then funk it!